The NFC West is looking scary

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
So I just heard that Seattle is going to get Percy Harvin, trading this year's first rounder for him. Well worth it IMO, Harvin is a badass. He immediately improves an already solid Seattle offense.

I was unhappy with this, since I'm a Niner fan. I don't want Seattle to end up the better team! :tongue:

So I went to NFL.com to confirm the deal and see details, and what do I see? The Niners are apparently going to get Anquan Boldin for a sixth round pick! Sure, he's got a decently sized salary at 6 million, and whether he's going to be a Niner long term is up to question (his age and salary desires might make this a one year deal, although I'd love him to spend at least a few years in SF), but this is an immediate improvement to an already solid Niner offense.

So now we have two teams that played great defense most of last year, with young, talented quarterbacks, strong running games, and now big time receivers. Harvin is a bigger threat than Boldin, the kind of guy who can take it all the way on any play. Boldin, however, has amazing hands and strength, a go-to guy on third down and in the red zone. It's possible that the top two favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year may be in the NFC West.

Now, Arizona is a train wreck of a team (although their defense isn't bad, the offense is so terrible it doesn't matter), but St. Louis has some potential. I'm not sure if they are going to improve with this offseason and draft, but if they can, they could be an above .500 team. It's amazing how quickly this division has gone from the absolute dregs of the NFL to looking like one of the best, if not THE best in the league.

Go Niners!

Yup you guys will be interesting to watch next year. Unless the Packers and Saints miraculously get themselves together then my moneys on the Niners. I don't buy Atlanta or Seattle.

Can'tLanta won't be a factor in 2013 without Gonzales. SF traded away a solid winning backup in Alex Smith. Now they have no one to take the reigns if Colon Kraperinickle gets a boo boo. There are no quality QB's available in free agency and this years crop in the draft is slim pickings. CK only played 7 games last reg season. His only td came with 2 mins left against Seattle's 3rd string when he played in the Emerald City to a 42-13 pt spanking on national TV. Colin played like crapernickle in the 4 the qtr of the superbowl. That game was SF's to lose and that they did.

If Wilson breaks a fingernail Seattle has a very good backup with Matt Flynn. In 16 NFL games this year I like Wilson over CK. If either team has to go with their back up for a game or two I'll take Flynn with Percy over Bolton and an untried QB to be named at a future date from the draft.

Yup you guys will be interesting to watch next year. Unless the Packers and Saints miraculously get themselves together then my moneys on the Niners. I don't buy Atlanta or Seattle.

Can'tLanta won't be a factor in 2013 without Gonzales. SF traded away a solid winning backup in Alex Smith. Now they have no one to take the reigns if Colon Kraperinickle gets a boo boo. There are no quality QB's available in free agency and this years crop in the draft is slim pickings. CK only played 7 games last reg season. His only td came with 2 mins left against Seattle's 3rd string when he played in the Emerald City to a 42-13 pt spanking on national TV. Colin played like crapernickle in the 4 the qtr of the superbowl. That game was SF's to lose and that they did.

If Wilson breaks a fingernail Seattle has a very good backup with Matt Flynn. In 16 NFL games this year I like Wilson over CK. If either team has to go with their back up for a game or two I'll take Flynn with Percy over Bolton and an untried QB to be named at a future date from the draft.

It appears Gonzales is going to play another year for Atlanta.

I agree that Seattle looks to have a better backup QB situation. However, Smith simply was going to get too much money for someone to sit on the bench, especially in an offseason where he would be one of the top QB free agents. And I can always hope that, if Kaep does go down (please no!), whoever the Niners keep as his backup turns out to be the next Tom Brady. :tongue:

Oh, and don't forget, Flynn basically has one game of experience, so it's hard to accurately judge him. He did lose out to a rookie in the offseason after they gave him the big contract!

I agree that Seattle looks to have a better backup QB situation. However, Smith simply was going to get too much money for someone to sit on the bench, especially in an offseason where he would be one of the top QB free agents. And I can always hope that, if Kaep does go down (please no!), whoever the Niners keep as his backup turns out to be the next Tom Brady. :tongue:

Oh, and don't forget, Flynn basically has one game of experience, so it's hard to accurately judge him. He did lose out to a rookie in the offseason after they gave him the big contract!

It's hard to qualify Wilson's first year as a "rookie". He broke or tied every meaningful rookied record a QB can. Me..personally... I've never seen a "rookie" play as good as Wilson did in my 63 years. Losing the starting spot to Wilson is no slight to Flynn.

Kaepernicks problem and danger to the 9ers team is that although he is very fast in straight lines he runs in straight lines. A high speed defense like the Seahawks can contain him and pound him hard before he can make it to the sidelines as was demonstrated in Seattle when he has sacked and tackled from behind on several occasions.

Conversely Wilson with his lightning lateral movement as well as very respectable downfield speed was barely touched by SF.

Depending on how all this preseason shakes out I have a strong belief that either Seattle of SF could go undefeated this year all the way to the Super Bowl.

With Wilson's abilities I think we won't go to a grind it out ...run Beast mode...first ...and catch up pass game later. You will see RW and the Seahawk offense come out of the blocks faster with the most impressive high scoring pass attack in the NFL and flip last years pattern using Lynch and Turbin only enough to keep defenses respecting the run.

Russell Wilson is a crazy intense student of the game. He has been working with the recievers on their own studying film and running routes for a month already this winter since our loss to Atlanta. I expected to see a dazzling passing attack already and now with the addition of a WR that was being considered as Offensive mvp last year before his injury I can't imagine how good the routes and YAC's and scores will pile up. I'm seriously thinking record yards and scores this season. Ya...OK I'm a blue and green bleeding homer...but much of the NFL and the Vegas bookies agree with me that the Seahawks are among the top 3 teams predicted to win the Super Bowl this season with 7-1 odds.

It's hard to qualify Wilson's first year as a "rookie". He broke or tied every meaningful rookied record a QB can. Me..personally... I've never seen a "rookie" play as good as Wilson did in my 63 years. Losing the starting spot to Wilson is no slight to Flynn.

Kaepernicks problem and danger to the 9ers team is that although he is very fast in straight lines he runs in straight lines. A high speed defense like the Seahawks can contain him and pound him hard before he can make it to the sidelines as was demonstrated in Seattle when he has sacked and tackled from behind on several occasions.

Conversely Wilson with his lightning lateral movement as well as very respectable downfield speed was barely touched by SF.

Depending on how all this preseason shakes out I have a strong belief that either Seattle of SF could go undefeated this year all the way to the Super Bowl.

With Wilson's abilities I think we won't go to a grind it out ...run Beast mode...first ...and catch up pass game later. You will see RW and the Seahawk offense come out of the blocks faster with the most impressive high scoring pass attack in the NFL and flip last years pattern using Lynch and Turbin only enough to keep defenses respecting the run.

Russell Wilson is a crazy intense student of the game. He has been working with the recievers on their own studying film and running routes for a month already this winter since our loss to Atlanta. I expected to see a dazzling passing attack already and now with the addition of a WR that was being considered as Offensive mvp last year before his injury I can't imagine how good the routes and YAC's and scores will pile up. I'm seriously thinking record yards and scores this season. Ya...OK I'm a blue and green bleeding homer...but much of the NFL and the Vegas bookies agree with me that the Seahawks are among the top 3 teams predicted to win the Super Bowl this season with 7-1 odds.

Everyone gets it : you have a man-crush on Wilson! :tongue:

It's well-deserved; the kid played amazing in his first year. Adding Harvin should only make things better for him. We'll have to wait and see if he has a sophomore slump (or Kaepernick). I wouldn't think so with the team around him, but you just can never tell.

Absent a few admittedly glaring exceptions, Kaep actually did a good job avoiding the big hits last year. He may not have the lateral speed Wilson does, but his north-south speed allows him to get to the sidelines more quickly than a lot of defenders. The addition of Boldin, a strong receiver with great hands who is not only willing to go over the middle, but thrives on the physical play, should help more by giving him that security blanket. If that big hit is coming, not only does he have the option to slide or throw the ball away, he'll be able to just toss it in the air at Boldin and have a good chance his guy will come down with it.

As to taking sacks.....every QB has to deal with that, including your boy. :) There's nothing special about the fact Kaep is going to get sacked.

I don't expect record numbers from Seattle's offense. The way the NFL is now, the top teams are setting new records every year offensively. Seattle hasn't reached the level of a New England, or Green Bay, or New Orleans. They may never score points like that, because they don't need to! With their defense and running game, why should they use a run and gun style offense? They will put up points, no doubt, but will be far less likely to get into shootouts than the top offensive teams.

It's just amazing how quickly the NFC West has turned things around. Two Super Bowl contenders, a team with potential in the Rams, it's the opposite of how it was just a few years ago, when there would be one team in the division that played well in any given season.

Everyone gets it : you have a man-crush on Wilson! :tongue:

It's well-deserved; the kid played amazing in his first year. Adding Harvin should only make things better for him. We'll have to wait and see if he has a sophomore slump (or Kaepernick). I wouldn't think so with the team around him, but you just can never tell.

Absent a few admittedly glaring exceptions, Kaep actually did a good job avoiding the big hits last year. He may not have the lateral speed Wilson does, but his north-south speed allows him to get to the sidelines more quickly than a lot of defenders. The addition of Boldin, a strong receiver with great hands who is not only willing to go over the middle, but thrives on the physical play, should help more by giving him that security blanket. If that big hit is coming, not only does he have the option to slide or throw the ball away, he'll be able to just toss it in the air at Boldin and have a good chance his guy will come down with it.

As to taking sacks.....every QB has to deal with that, including your boy. :) There's nothing special about the fact Kaep is going to get sacked.

I don't expect record numbers from Seattle's offense. The way the NFL is now, the top teams are setting new records every year offensively. Seattle hasn't reached the level of a New England, or Green Bay, or New Orleans. They may never score points like that, because they don't need to! With their defense and running game, why should they use a run and gun style offense? They will put up points, no doubt, but will be far less likely to get into shootouts than the top offensive teams.

It's just amazing how quickly the NFC West has turned things around. Two Super Bowl contenders, a team with potential in the Rams, it's the opposite of how it was just a few years ago, when there would be one team in the division that played well in any given season.

Seattle got burned in the Atlanta playoff game by starting out slow and almost did the same thing in their game DC.

We were wildly successful in the few games we jumped to early big leads. Those leads turned into big turnovers and even bigger finishes. I doubt the ease and method of our big wins will be overlooked by the Seattle coaches. Clearly with the bold move to trade several draft picks including a first rounder for Harbin Seattle has tipped it's hat as to the new emphasis in game planning. GET UP EARLY with a dynamic pass attack featuring the dynamic Percy Harbin and Russell Wilson. Capitalize on having the biggest and most proficient intercepting DBs in the league in the second halves and dance in with easy short field advantage.

I could be all wet with this prognastication...but I doubt it. SF is clearly interested in scoring more points also otherwise they would have stood pat with the recievers they already had in the stable. They got Boldin because more is better.

Last edited:
With the addition of Boldin, Randy Moss is a memory.

It'll be interesting who the Vikes pick, or trade to get, to replace Harvin.....Maybe they'll draft a good WR AND a good QB.

Boldin must have been all roided up because he's never played (during the playoffs this year) before like that.

I noticed the Ravens are losing a lot of talent. Paul Kruger is gone and so is Ellerbe.

Harvin is a great player but the Vikes are fed up with him sitting out so many games. I don't think he's any kind of solution.

Last edited:

It'll be interesting who the Vikes pick, or trade to get, to replace Harvin.....Maybe they'll draft a good WR AND a good QB.

Boldin must have been all roided up because he's never played (during the playoffs this year) before like that.

I noticed the Ravens are losing a lot of talent. Paul Kruger is gone and so is Ellerbe.

Harvin is a great player but the Vikes are fed up with him sitting out so many games. I don't think he's any kind of solution.

Harvin had a legitimate high ankle sprain injury last year. What the Vikes didn't have was a legitimate QB. Ponders was ineffective and Webb was just plain embarrassing. A player like Percy deserves to play on a team with a QB that can take advantage of his skills. That team was not Minnisota. Harvin will have a pro bowl year this year now that he is in a stable of WRs that no one guy can be keyed on. What the Seahawks need out of Harvin is one or two more sustained drives and 5-7 more mins of possession in first halves. The Seahawks should be able to take advantage of Percy's crazy good return skills also leaving shorter fields for Wilson and Co to work in. We let go Leon Washington yesterday and he was near the top in returns.

Travel time in the playoffs was a factor working against the Seahawks last season so I'm sure Carroll knowing he has the team now that can go all the way will pull out all the stops from the very first kickoff this fall to not only attempt to win the West but to not have to go 3000 miles against the clock and play morning games on the East coast. That is an advantage we should not give up at any cost for the next 4 years. I say let the 9ers go East. We gonna stay out here where the West is best.

Last edited:

Harvin had a legitimate high ankle sprain injury last year. What the Vikes didn't have was a legitimate QB. Ponders was ineffective and Webb was just plain embarrassing. A player like Percy deserves to play on a team with a QB that can take advantage of his skills. That team was not Minnisota. Harvin will have a pro bowl year this year now that he is in a stable of WRs that no one guy can be keyed on. What the Seahawks need out of Harvin is one or two more sustained drives and 5-7 more mins of possession in first halves. The Seahawks should be able to take advantage of Percy's crazy good return skills also leaving shorter fields for Wilson and Co to work in. We let go Leon Washington yesterday and he was near the top in returns.

I think Harvin has problems with migranes that cause him to miss games

How will you react if Harvin misses the SF game because of a headache?

Last edited:

I'll let Percy Harvin answer to the Migrain headache question.

Percy Harvin Welcome Press Conference

As he said he hasn't had one of those headaches in 2 years. He went to a specialist at the Mayo Clinic and apparently they got that condition corrected. I'm not worried about Harvin's headaches.

Harvin has an opportunity to "be all he can be" wearing a Seahawk uni. Wilson doesn't play favorites unless one considers how many clutch passes Zach Miller caught last year. Thing is Miller got seperation therefore he got tossed the rock. If Harvin gets open he will have ample opportunity to display his much talked about YAC's.

I'll let Percy Harvin answer to the Migrain headache question.

Percy Harvin Welcome Press Conference

As he said he hasn't had one of those headaches in 2 years. He went to a specialist at the Mayo Clinic and apparently they got that condition corrected. I'm not worried about Harvin's headaches.

Harvin has an opportunity to "be all he can be" wearing a Seahawk uni. Wilson doesn't play favorites unless one considers how many clutch passes Zach Miller caught last year. Thing is Miller got seperation therefore he got tossed the rock. If Harvin gets open he will have ample opportunity to display his much talked about YAC's.

I wish him well. Migranes can be nasty

I think he will respond better to Pete Carroll then he did to the Minnesota coaching staff. A new environment may do him good

Actually, I think Boldin is known for playing like he did in the playoffs. When he and Fitzgerald were together, Boldin was the 'tough guy' of the duo, the one who took the hits over the middle and held onto the ball. Didn't he have his jaw fractured on a td catch?

The playoff run last year was just a step up in Boldin's normal game.

Actually, I think Boldin is known for playing like he did in the playoffs. When he and Fitzgerald were together, Boldin was the 'tough guy' of the duo, the one who took the hits over the middle and held onto the ball. Didn't he have his jaw fractured on a td catch?

The playoff run last year was just a step up in Boldin's normal game.

I think it was the change in the Ravens offense from the new coordinator and a step up in Flaccos game

Travel time in the playoffs was a factor working against the Seahawks last season so I'm sure Carroll knowing he has the team now that can go all the way will pull out all the stops from the very first kickoff this fall to not only attempt to win the West but to not have to go 3000 miles against the clock and play morning games on the East coast. That is an advantage we should not give up at any cost for the next 4 years. I say let the 9ers go East. We gonna stay out here where the West is best.

The Seahawks need to draft a WR number one if a good one is available. They really don't have a game breaker to help the run game.

Harvin stays injured to much to be relied on to be the feature threat in their offense.

Last edited:

The Seahawks need to draft a WR number one if a good one is available. They really don't have a game breaker to help the run game.

Harvin stays injured to much to be relied on to be the feature threat in their offense.

Nonsense. The Seahawks don't need to throw 60 yard "bombs". 60 yard bombs don't eat up the clock. It's a timed game. What they have already been great at and will be even more effective with Harvin is possession of the football with 15-30 yard possession passes.

Dan Marino had fantastic passing games. How many rings does he have? Percentage wise how many missed "long bombs" traditionally end up in receptions? It is a fools game. We want to get better at what we do well already ..not revamp the offensive philosphy that was so successful last season.

We want to take even better advantage of what Russell Wilson brings to the game that makes Seattle especially difficult to stop. One of those attributes is that no matter where Wilson is behind the LOS he never takes his eyes off down field. At best Harvin will offer a third or 4th option for Russell to gun the ball to. In some of the better Seahawk games last season Wilson was hitting on 75% of his third downs. What we would like to do is make that more than 75% of the games as opposed to 30-40%.

No...we don't need more recievers. We could use a couple of new crashing DE's to put even more preasure on opponents QBs and force more errant throws into the hands of our already talented DBs. But it's not like the Seahawk defense sucks...leading the NFL last year in defense scoring...15 pts. per game.

If we can play the 2013 season like we played the last 6 reg season games in 2012 we have nothing to worry about. It's just a matter of how many records get broken.

Nonsense. The Seahawks don't need to throw 60 yard "bombs". 60 yard bombs don't eat up the clock. It's a timed game. What they have already been great at and will be even more effective with Harvin is possession of the football with 15-30 yard possession passes.

Dan Marino had fantastic passing games. How many rings does he have? Percentage wise how many missed "long bombs" traditionally end up in receptions? It is a fools game. We want to get better at what we do well already ..not revamp the offensive philosphy that was so successful last season.

We want to take even better advantage of what Russell Wilson brings to the game that makes Seattle especially difficult to stop. One of those attributes is that no matter where Wilson is behind the LOS he never takes his eyes off down field. At best Harvin will offer a third or 4th option for Russell to gun the ball to. In some of the better Seahawk games last season Wilson was hitting on 75% of his third downs. What we would like to do is make that more than 75% of the games as opposed to 30-40%.

No...we don't need more recievers. We could use a couple of new crashing DE's to put even more preasure on opponents QBs and force more errant throws into the hands of our already talented DBs. But it's not like the Seahawk defense sucks...leading the NFL last year in defense scoring...15 pts. per game.

If we can play the 2013 season like we played the last 6 reg season games in 2012 we have nothing to worry about. It's just a matter of how many records get broken.

It's like Schneider(Seahawks GM) is readin my mind. This just in from late last night....

Cliff Avril boosts Seahawks on defense
A day after adding an impact player on offense, the Seattle Seahawks addressed the team’s most pressing need in free agency — bringing in a speedy pass rusher.

Defensive end Cliff Avril has 39.5 sacks in his five-year career with 9.5 of them coming last season. The Seahawks hope he’ll have plenty to celebrate this season after the 6-foot-3 lineman signs with the team today.
A day after adding an impact player on offense, the Seattle Seahawks addressed the team’s most pressing need in free agency — bringing in a speedy pass rusher.
And like the addition of Percy Harvin to Seattle’s offense, the Seahawks added an explosive playmaker to the defensive side of the ball Wednesday, agreeing to terms with Detroit Lions free agent defensive end Cliff Avril.
The Seahawks have not confirmed the agreement. However, according to the league’s website, Avril is expected to sign a two-year, $15 million contract once he passes a physical at the team’s Renton headquarters today.
The Lions replaced Avril with defensive lineman Jason Jones, who spent last season with the Seahawks.
Avril, who turns 27 next month, gives Seattle a proven pass-rush lineman as insurance, with Chris Clemons, the team’s leader in sacks the past three seasons, still rehabbing from a torn anterior cruciate ligament injury he suffered in January’s NFC Wild-Card playoff game in Washington.
Seattle’s brass has concerns Clemons will not be fully healthy by the opening of training camp
in late July. And although first-round draft choice Bruce Irvin led all rookies in sacks with eight last season, the West Virginia product struggled in his only start, totaling one tackle and no sacks in Seattle’s NFC divisional playoff loss at Atlanta.
The Seahawks tied for 18th in regular-season sacks with 36 in 2012.
Avril gives Seattle a veteran pass rusher in case Clemons is not ready for the team’s season opener in September. At 6-foot-3 and 252 pounds, Avril totaled 9.5 sacks and forced two fumbles in 2012, and has 39.5 sacks in his five seasons in the league.
However, Avril also has benefited from playing with one of the NFL’s more dominant defensive lines, which includes defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley and defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch.
A third-round pick in the 2008 draft by the Lions, Avril sought a long-term contract from the Lions before the 2012 season, but reportedly declined a three-year, $30 million offer. Instead, he played for the $10.5 million franchise tag in hopes of netting a lucrative deal this offseason.
Although his two-year deal comes in much lower than fellow defensive end Paul Kruger’s five-year, $40 million agreement with Cleveland, the accord allows Avril to hit the market again at age 28 if he plays well.

Cliff Avril boosts Seahawks on defense | Seattle Seahawks - The News Tribune

It looks like Paul Allen is in no mood for half measures this season. I watched some clips of Avril.. this guy is a beast.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back