The new Star Trek is kind of impressive

Yeah, between the sophomoric writing, the insipid dialogue badly delivered and the emotionally-stunted unlikeable characters, it was a great show.
Wow, ok.

I've always seen science fiction as a medium that requires the suspension of disbelief and a more open mind. I remember hating Firefly & Voyager when they started for reasons similar to your post.
Orville on the other hand fits your description perfectly.

I grew up on science fiction and horror. I write science fiction and horror.

Voyager eh. Firefly better, the film Serenity better still.

Haven't seen The Orville. Have to catch up on Twin Peaks first. :laugh:

I'm not saying it can't get better.

First legit review I could find

I watched it. Its stupid.
And they made Number One's space suit look like Samus of Metroid. :lol:
And of course they had the token white Klingon and put in some pc shit about skin color.

I will not bother with it further. It sucked.

And we timed it. 4 minutes of show, 5.17 minutes of commercials between each show.

No thanks.

Okay, so I've now seen both opening episodes. It appears that together they will serve as the opening pilot of the show and it will be the next one (the third episode) in which that Starship Discovery will be introduced, along with the regular cast of characters. I'll avoid any spoilers for those who haven't seen it and keep it simple.

If they stay, at least through the first season, with a war theme, it may just go somewhere. I don't think that is where they will go with it though and to be honest, I'm not too hopeful that its direction will make it any better.

I rate both (on a 1 to 5 scale) as 4's. They didn't hit it out of the park and that's not a good sign.

Reading other places...most said it was great to have two women as star fleet commanders but they were not impressed. On a scale of 1-5, I would give it a 1. But thats me.

Give me The first one..and New Gen. The rest ....meh. And it darn sure isn't worth spending extra bucks on to watch it along with its horrendous commercials.

Reading other places...most said it was great to have two women as star fleet commanders but they were not impressed. On a scale of 1-5, I would give it a 1. But thats me.

Give me The first one..and New Gen. The rest ....meh. And it darn sure isn't worth spending extra bucks on to watch it along with its horrendous commercials.
It's 6 dollars Gracie. Ive yet to decide if I'm going to sign up or not but 6 dollars is peanuts. As to the two women that is temporary. The captain of the Discovery is a man but his appearance doesn't happen until episode 3 I believe. The first two episodes are more of a prologue.

It just pisses me off that all the episodes are locked behind a paywall.
Is that the new CBS Star Trek?

The commercials for it left me with no desire to see it at all.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, but not one of the spinoffs has ever impressed me.

It's 6 dollars Gracie. Ive yet to decide if I'm going to sign up or not but 6 dollars is peanuts. As to the two women that is temporary. The captain of the Discovery is a man but his appearance doesn't happen until episode 3 I believe. The first two episodes are more of a prologue.
Its not the 6 bucks that bugs me. Its the wanting money to pay for a tv show when we are already paying cable to get tv shows then being charged to watch a show within a show. Its only a matter of time before you're paying to get the channels but then have to pay that channel to watch something they have on.
And..it was not worth it to me to even consider it. It might be a fine show..but if it doesn't grab my interest in the first epi..then its over for me. And this one is.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, but not one of the spinoffs has ever impressed me.
This one is cannon and takes place 10 years before Kirk

You didn't like Voyager?
I remember absolutely hating it when it first started. But it turned out very good and like the others I was sad to see it go.

You didn't like Voyager?
I remember absolutely hating it when it first started. But it turned out very good and like the others I was sad to see it go.

You didn't like Voyager, but eventually you started to like it. Well then, you have enough information to figure out when your dementia started to kick in.

You didn't like Voyager?

You didn't like Voyager, but eventually you started to like it. Well then, you have enough information to figure out when your dementia started to kick in.
The day I said I Do...

You didn't like Voyager?

I haven't made it thru DS9 yet. And while I love TNG, for whatever reason, it hasn't seemed to age as well.

You mean to tell me after Episode 1, I have to PAY to see the others elsewhere? Shows you how much I pay attention. As far as Orville, the first episode was painful to watch because IMO, they haven't figured out if they should be funny funny or serious. I only saw a little bit of 2. Let's hope they find their footing fast.

You mean to tell me after Episode 1, I have to PAY to see the others elsewhere? Shows you how much I pay attention. As far as Orville, the first episode was painful to watch because IMO, they haven't figured out if they should be funny funny or serious. I only saw a little bit of 2. Let's hope they find their footing fast.
Hi malnila.
I refuse to watch Orville because I cannot stand seth mcfarlane. All I see is this round face that looks like it was smacked with a frying pan, ala cartoons from warner bros. :lol:
Plus, he's a dick.

This one is cannon and takes place 10 years before Kirk
its cannon?....the Klingons sure as hell were not cannon....or the uniforms...and some of the tech exhibited....

Forum List

Back