The mountain lion killed by the man was about 35lbs and about 6 months old.

It was fight or flight, and you are not going to outrun a cougar.

A very unfortunate situation.
35 POUNDS!
I just measured my 22 pound outdoor, muscular cat.
He's 12 inches tall at the shoulders and 18 inches long.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES PUSSIES!

You have obviously never been attacked by a military working dog. They would not weigh more than about 35-40 pounds and yet they are so muscular that they can easily handle a full grown adult male. They bite and do not let go!

A good many of them can actually crush the bones in your lower leg.

That hurts.

..did the cat actually attack or do you think he might've been the aggressor?
'''ARE MOUNTAIN LIONS DANGEROUS?
To deer, yes! To people, not so much. Human encounters with mountain lions are rare and the risk of an attack is infinitely small. '''
Frequently Asked Questions About Mountain Lions
per the odds---the lion attacked is very low
possibly but very improbable....?
I'll give the human being the benefit of the doubt when he has claw marks and fang bites all over his back and face, dude.
that definitely is not evidence the cat started it !
It doesnt matter in my mind. A wild animal attacking a human equates to the animal is guilty, IMO.

It was fight or flight, and you are not going to outrun a cougar.

A very unfortunate situation.
35 POUNDS!
I just measured my 22 pound outdoor, muscular cat.
He's 12 inches tall at the shoulders and 18 inches long.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES PUSSIES!

You have obviously never been attacked by a military working dog. They would not weigh more than about 35-40 pounds and yet they are so muscular that they can easily handle a full grown adult male. They bite and do not let go!

A good many of them can actually crush the bones in your lower leg.

That hurts.

I work with dogs that are off leash but muzzled. They will try to beat you to death with that steel muzzle cage by slamming their head into you while trying to bite! That alone is good for some serious bruising. Plus they will scratch and claw you to the point it rips your clothing off!

Imagine my trying to explain scratches all over my back to my wife after I had been out all night training!

The guy did everything he could to scare it off

Cat did a lot of damage to his face

Gators are to be feared, by house cats and 35 pound baby mountain lions.

Pound for pound, house cats are the meanest creatures ont he planet.

Actually. You are quite correct. Here's one taking out a dog.

Housecats share one attribute with humans. Housecats also kill for fun. For sport. For the sheer joy of it. Not even the big cats do that. We should be thankful they don't outweigh us.

I’m sorry, but when it attacked him, what was he supposed to do? Be real here.
A full grown pit bull can kill and weighs between 35-65 lbs
This animal would be no match for a pit bull

Were talking about two different kinds of animals.

An ADULT male cougar is about 135 pounds. This was no serious threat.

A bobcat is much smaller than a mountain lion, and occasionally prey on deer.

I don't think anyone was saying the mountain lion would kill a pit bull. Just that the weight quoted can be enough to be dangerous.

When a predator charges out of the brush, latches on to your arm with its mouth and starts clawing at your face and neck, you either fight back or you die.

It is sad that a young cougar was separated from its mother. It sad it died. But let's not be stupid and make it sound like the hiker went and stomped on a kitten sleeping in the woods.

I’m sorry, but when it attacked him, what was he supposed to do? Be real here.
A full grown pit bull can kill and weighs between 35-65 lbs
This animal would be no match for a pit bull

Were talking about two different kinds of animals.

An ADULT male cougar is about 135 pounds. This was no serious threat.

No serious threat? Isn't that convenient for you to be able to say from the comfort of your home. I guess if a 40 lb animal charged out of the bushes, latched on to your arm and started clawing at your face and neck, you would just continue your hike? Yes, the animal was small. But look up how deep major veins and arteries are in your neck. Check how deep your windpipe is, and see if there was actually "no threat".

Well, i am not really blaming the guy. I do want to pump the breaks a tad cause people were in basic awe of the guy when they heard.

I think we were thinking or picturing something bigger than 35lbs. Then when you add in that it was emaciated and starving, it is a heartbreaking story.

Having said that, a house cat (farrel) will fuuuuck you up. A bobcat or lynx could kill you.

But it is just a sad story considering it had to have been either abandoned, or the mother got killed. Weak, starving and desperate.

Sad story.

Exactly. It is sad.

But those claiming there was no danger or no threat are ignorant about what a wild predator can do.

A 35 pound cat of any species could fuck you up.

What was the guy supposed to do, distract it with a laser pointer?
Only if you allowed it to. In the post above yours I gave the physical size of my 22 pound cat. Sorry, he's no threat but to baby rabbits. From the size I've given you should be able to see how small a cat would be who is 10 pounds heavier.

And no, it would be no serious threat. I would have helped the starving animal.

And you would have died.

Yes, your housecat is not a threat. Being well fed, I assume, it has fat on it as part of that 22 lbs. This was a wild predator that was starving. It would have fought until it died.

I once saw a raccoon that weighed no more than 20 lbs kill a full grown german shepherd.

Also, the man said the cat was latched onto his wrist and clawing at his face and neck. Your housecat would be lucky to reach your elbow with its front paws if it latched on to your wrist. The young cougar would have much longer legs. Those claws could slice deep enough to sever your carotid artery or jugular vein, and you would have died on that mountain.

This idea that there was no threat shows your ignorance of wild predators. I work occasionally helping a guy who uses goats to clear overgrown land. He lost a large buck to a bobcat several years ago. The buck weight 175lbs or more, but it was still not enough to fend off the bobcat. And bobcats rarely weigh 40 lbs. He uses Great Pyrenees to protect the goats. No he has 2 er herd, in case one gets sick and has to be taken to the vet.

A 35 pound cat of any species could fuck you up.

What was the guy supposed to do, distract it with a laser pointer?
Only if you allowed it to. In the post above yours I gave the physical size of my 22 pound cat. Sorry, he's no threat but to baby rabbits. From the size I've given you should be able to see how small a cat would be who is 10 pounds heavier.

And no, it would be no serious threat. I would have helped the starving animal.

And you would have died.

Yes, your housecat is not a threat. Being well fed, I assume, it has fat on it as part of that 22 lbs. This was a wild predator that was starving. It would have fought until it died.

I once saw a raccoon that weighed no more than 20 lbs kill a full grown german shepherd.

Also, the man said the cat was latched onto his wrist and clawing at his face and neck. Your housecat would be lucky to reach your elbow with its front paws if it latched on to your wrist. The young cougar would have much longer legs. Those claws could slice deep enough to sever your carotid artery or jugular vein, and you would have died on that mountain.

This idea that there was no threat shows your ignorance of wild predators. I work occasionally helping a guy who uses goats to clear overgrown land. He lost a large buck to a bobcat several years ago. The buck weight 175lbs or more, but it was still not enough to fend off the bobcat. And bobcats rarely weigh 40 lbs. He uses Great Pyrenees to protect the goats. No he has 2 er herd, in case one gets sick and has to be taken to the vet.

Thank you. I want no part of a 35 pound housecat. It would fuck me up. I would live, but I would have serious wounds.

Housecats share one attribute with humans. Housecats also kill for fun. For sport. For the sheer joy of it. Not even the big cats do that. We should be thankful they don't outweigh us.

I think that is the only reason that they dont eat us.

But I would still give odds that a house cat would chase one off the property, lol, little mean sons of bitches.

Here is a 4 month old Cougar kitten that douchebag killed. That douchebag that killed the kitten really needs to be questioned by the police. People who kill harmless animals sometimes become murderers of humans.

4-month-old-mountain-lion-kitten-in-tree-bridger-mountains-near-bozeman-A7NGK3.jpg

Here is a 4 month old Cougar kitten that douchebag killed. That douchebag that killed the kitten really needs to be questioned by the police. People who kill harmless animals sometimes become murderers of humans.

4-month-old-mountain-lion-kitten-in-tree-bridger-mountains-near-bozeman-A7NGK3.jpg

In another 2 months the cat in the pic will be the age of the one that attacked the hiker. And probably 20 lbs heavier.

Forum List

Back