The mountain lion killed by the man was about 35lbs and about 6 months old.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
An 'incredibly weird' young mountain lion A necropsy revealed that the mountain lion that attacked Kauffman weighed 35 to 40 pounds, according to KUNC radio. Colorado Parks and Wildlifereported that the cat was only a year old. But Mark Elbroch, director of the puma program at Panthera, a wild-cat conservation organization, told Business Insider that the animal's reported weight and age don't match up.

"35 to 40 pounds is tiny, that means we're talking about an animal that's six months old. It would be incredibly weird if it were one year old," he said. "Either the weight's wrong or the age." Plus, Elbroch added, "regardless of whether it's six months or a year old, it should be with mom."

Let's be honest, that Colorado jogger may have killed a starving, baby mountain lion separated from its mom

Not blaming the guy but it is still a sad and rather heart breaking type of story.

I knew there had a to be bit more to the story. When I first heard it, i was picturing a rather big type of guy. The guy is 150lbs and looks like a jogger.

Trust me, if that is a full grown mountain lion.....we are reading a different story.

Anyway, probably an abandoned cub and starving. 35lbs, and emaciated.

Saddens me.

Pathetic. My maine coon is a big cat for a house cat, but he's no threat to anyone. I would do grave bodily injury to anyone who harmed him in any way. He's 22 pounds and he plays rough but he's no match for a human.

My personal opinion of the guy who killed this animal is not good. Humans are no damn good.

I’m sorry, but when it attacked him, what was he supposed to do? Be real here.
A full grown pit bull can kill and weighs between 35-65 lbs
This animal would be no match for a pit bull

Were talking about two different kinds of animals.

An ADULT male cougar is about 135 pounds. This was no serious threat.

Pathetic. My maine coon is a big cat for a house cat, but he's no threat to anyone. I would do grave bodily injury to anyone who harmed him in any way. He's 22 pounds and he plays rough but he's no match for a human.

My personal opinion of the guy who killed this animal is not good. Humans are no damn good.

I'm not gonna knock the guy.
While it was a small cat it fucked him up pretty good.
It would also explain his original hesitation about speaking about his experience.

It would also explain his original hesitation about speaking about his experience.
Clearly the guy is a pussy (I can say that since Trump haters use the word so freely).

Easy for someone not in his position to say. He was blindsided. The cat wouldn’t let go of his arm. Period.

Clearly the guy is a pussy (I can say that since Trump haters use the word so freely).

Well, i am not really blaming the guy. I do want to pump the breaks a tad cause people were in basic awe of the guy when they heard.

I think we were thinking or picturing something bigger than 35lbs. Then when you add in that it was emaciated and starving, it is a heartbreaking story.

Having said that, a house cat (farrel) will fuuuuck you up. A bobcat or lynx could kill you.

But it is just a sad story considering it had to have been either abandoned, or the mother got killed. Weak, starving and desperate.

Sad story.

feck that cat , lots more just like him even in the mountains and hills , deserts around the suburbs of big cities like 'L.A.' from what I hear . And a skinny little Lady jogger or 10 year old kid might not have survived

A young animal being killed is always sad. However, to allow this guy to defend himself, we have to remember that mountain lions are dangerous even at a young age. It is going to become and adult shortly. Then it might just kill someone by tearing them apart. I think this man saved someone.

It was fight or flight, and you are not going to outrun a cougar.

A very unfortunate situation.
35 POUNDS!
I just measured my 22 pound outdoor, muscular cat.
He's 12 inches tall at the shoulders and 18 inches long.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES PUSSIES!

A young animal being killed is always sad. However, to allow this guy to defend himself, we have to remember that mountain lions are dangerous even at a young age. It is going to become and adult shortly. Then it might just kill someone by tearing them apart. I think this man saved someone.
Sorry, no.

You kick it away and LEAVE. Not because of the KITTEN but if you kill the KITTEN, its mom will be coming for you.

just kill'em and problem solved for the guy that was attacked and future humans that might run into this cat if he wasn't a dead cat !!

Reminds of this. That, is a lucky cat. Gator was just not in the mood. Reptiles get docile. Perhaps the temperature was cooler.

Now, these moron dog owners.....

WARNING a bit cathartic for sensitive people

One of the reasons people make me a bit sick

Last edited:
Where was it reported it was 35 lbs and 6 months old? They said less than and year old and couldn’t be sure of weight as it had been eaten on by predators-

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The juvenile mountain lion killed by a trail runner Monday afternoon at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space was so badly eaten by other animals that a necropsy couldn’t positively identify the sex or weight of the animal.

Horsetooth Mountain Park will remain closed through Friday, wildlife officials say. The runner, who has been released from a local hospital, choked the cougar to death.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials said Tuesday the mountain lion was less than a year old and weighed less than 100 pounds.
Mountain lion that attacked runner in Colorado was later eaten by other animals

Forum List

Back