The Marriage Question

Half of all marriages end in divorce.

And the person who really gets hit the hardest is the father of the bride who had to take out a second mortgage to pay for the big fancy wedding.

So, SO true.

I'm really enjoying the posts in this thread. Lots of interesting perceptions.

I hope so but I am just going by what I know and have seen, I really don't see too many marriages that last long anymore except for older more mature people, 20 years don't know what the fuck their doing when they marry, they still want to carry on as if they are single.

It sounds like you have a cynical view of marriage.

I was married for 5 years.

My advice...before you get married again... live with her for 5 years first.....and then get married.

I hope so but I am just going by what I know and have seen, I really don't see too many marriages that last long anymore except for older more mature people, 20 years don't know what the fuck their doing when they marry, they still want to carry on as if they are single.

And it didn't work out, and is that why you're cynical about marriage?

That's about typical for the first time around. Almost like a hitch in the Army.

What should be offered in the wedding package is an insurance policy the old man can take out that will pay him back a percentage of cost of the wedding. Maybe it could be prorated. 100% if the marriage lasts less than a year, 80% if lasts two years, 70% if it goes three years and so on.

That's about typical for the first time around. Almost like a hitch in the Army.

What should be offered in the wedding package is an insurance policy the old man can take out that will pay him back a percentage of cost of the wedding. Maybe it could be prorated. 100% if the marriage lasts less than a year, 80% if lasts two years, 70% if it goes three years and so on.

If they made getting married as difficult as getting a divorce, I think people would take it more seriously.

If they made getting married as difficult as getting a divorce, I think people would take it more seriously.

I think they should make you live with each other for 5 years before you can apply for a license.

The 5 years is not because of how long you were married...it was how long we loved together before we go married.... i am of the opinion by then you know if its going to work or not.

half of all marriages end in divorce.

And the person who really gets hit the hardest is the father of the bride who had to take out a second mortgage to pay for the big fancy wedding.

no shit!!!!

The sister in law was given the same offer i was given.... anything you want. :eek:

She wanted and got.... two receptions.....one on each coast. :eek::eek::eek: That was a cool million down the drain.

Oh, that's just inSANE!!! You could have a marriage on the interest! (color me frugal).

I was married 13 years. Well - still am. 16 years. But for the past three years, he's been living with my replacement. Apparently, we're both too stubborn to get a divorce (you'd think she'd be pushing his ass).

I figure relationships are what we choose to make them. And - yeah. I don't see myself ever getting married again, but then I didn't see me ever getting married the first time, so go figure.

I think they should make you live with each other for 5 years before you can apply for a license.

The 5 years is not because of how long you were married...it was how long we loved together before we go married.... i am of the opinion by then you know if its going to work or not.

I agree 100%.

While I have no problems with peoples choices, but you just threw a lot of us God fearing Christians out the window.:lol:

We didn't live together and only knew eachother a few months and it worked out fine for many many years.

While I have no problems with peoples choices, but you just threw a lot of us God fearing Christians out the window.:lol:

We didn't live together and only knew eachother a few months and it worked out fine for many many years.

yes got to love the living in sin part :)

now as to the god fearing part...i said live together...that does not necessarily mean having sex. :lol:

My thoughts on the topic: Two people might find themselves traveling on the same road and enjoy traveling together. However, the only thing that counts is the destination to which each is heading. If they aren't heading to the same destination, one will eventually take an offramp and leave the other behind.

For those who are just tooling along enjoying the scenary, if you don't know where you're going then you'll never know when you've arrived. Take time to understand what you really want in life and where you really want to go. Then and only then are you in the position to recognize those who want the same things and have the same destination in mind. That at least give you both a fighting chance at a long term future... together!

I just saw a search term, "My boyfriend says he doesn't believe in marriage", and it reminded me of when I was young. I don't know if we have any young people on this board, but the situation may still come up.

If one person believes in marriage and the other doesn't, what should the couple do? My first reaction is 'break up', because you know one or the other is always going to be unhappy/feel pressured, etc.

What would you do? And if it's nothing you can relate to, how would you advise a friend, or offspring?

It's like playing tennis with a partner who uses a baseball bat,......it was never meant to be. Cut him lose and go find yourself some security, because you are wasting your time, and in this world we do not have time to waste.

Just what is in it for a man to get married? I mean when the marriage ends in divorce, and stats show that it probably will, than the man will lose half his money, his house, his car, his kids etc...

I was married for 20 yrs. and every man that I know that has been married than divorced has lost just about everything he owned.

If a man is not for marriage than it's probably due to this. If the woman keeps on being persistent he will think that she just wants to in order to take his life away. I read a poll which was done by Readers Digest where 80 percent of all woman polled said they would not want to sign a prenup. I wonder why.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwylnmACZ8]‪I'D RATHER GO BLIND/ETTA JAMES‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

After my divorce, I swore I would never get married again. I was not ready for the marriage to begin with - the proposal took me by surprise, and being the young idiot I was, I found myself saying yes when I didn't want to. Stupid.

After that, I figured that just don't have the right mentality for it.

Things change, much to my surprise. But, being single was great.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back