The man who shot Liberty Valance

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
WOW was this a masterpiece. I mean can I say it was good or a masterpiece? This movie really was special.

You literally have a one man of intellect and law vs. the other man who only cares about violence and anarcy.
In between you have a Third man ( John Wayne) who is a respectable man who is looking for a future with the lady in the movie. Tom sees the future in the new guy in town and knows he must help him.
Then you have the entire town population who seems to only respect who the town Alpha Male is.

In the end, the rule of law and intellect only wins because of the rule of the GUN.

It seems the townspeople only respect and love Stoddard because they believe he was the one who killed the dangerous Valance. The reality was he was NOT. IT was Tom who gave up and SACRAFIED for the good of the town and society .
WOW .. This movie is awesome

Last edited:
Tom knew Stoddard would get killed in combat and did the ultimate sacrifice by ( silently aiding him ) into winning the impossible duel and giving him all the credits.

I guess this was as movie about both sacrifice for the greater good and how the rule of law only defeats Evil when its enforced with the threat of death

WOW was this a masterpiece. I mean can I say it was good or a masterpiece? This movie really was special.

You literally have a one man of intellect and law vs. the other man who only cares about violence and anarcy.
In between you have a Third man ( John Wayne) who is a respectable man who is looking for a future with the lady in the movie.
Then you have the entire town population who seems to only respect who the town Alpha Male is.

In the end, the rule of law and intellect only wins because of the rule of the GUN.

It seems the townspeople only respect and love Stoddard because they believe he was the one who killed the dangerous Valance. The reality was he was NOT. IT was Tom who gave up and SACRAFIED for the good of the town and society .
I saw that when it first came out. Don't remember much about the movie, but the theme song wasn't bad.

In between you have a Third man ( John Wayne) who is a respectable man who is looking for a future with the lady in the movie. Tom sees the future in the new guy in town and knows he must help him.

The thing I remember abour the movie was the diner scene.....the steaks covered the plates and they were given a baked potato to go with it

The theme song was not what you think. Ford wanted no part of Pitney's song.
It was the theme song to an old cowboy shoot-em-up. Nobody, especially I, bothered to look for any meaning in it. It had a nice melody, and was easy to hum the next day. That's about it.

It was the theme song to an old cowboy shoot-em-up. Nobody, especially I, bothered to look for any meaning in it. It had a nice melody, and was easy to hum the next day. That's about it.
You were thinking of Pitney's song. Admit it.

This is one of my all time favorite movies. Great epic story. Great black and white cinematography.

I don't think John Wayne was a very good actor but I think this was his best role.

Probably the only movie where he didn't get the hot chick.

Oh well. I've been wrong before, and I guess I am this time too. It was more than 50 years ago and I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of Pitney's song. This is the theme song to Who shot Liberty Valence. This one isn't bad though. It captures the heroic motife of the show.

This is one of my all time favorite movies. Great epic story. Great black and white cinematography.

I don't think John Wayne was a very good actor but I think this was his best role.

Probably the only movie where he didn't get the hot chick.

Since I cannot shoot a gun . i dont think I would elect to fight Mr. Liberty Vallance. I would have to flee town or hire a gun slinger.

Since I cannot shoot a gun . i dont think I would elect to fight Mr. Liberty Vallance. I would have to flee town or hire a gun slinger.
Valance was the town bully. Marshal Appleyard was a joke. Stoddard had the courage but not the skill to stand up to him. Doniphin supplied the skill when it was needed and because of that ruined what was his dream as a great life with Hallie.

Great story! Great acting! One of the best movies ever out of Hollywood. They need to making more movies like that nowadays instead of this woke crap we see all the time.

Valance was the town bully. Marshal Appleyard was a joke. Stoddard had the courage but not the skill to stand up to him. Doniphin supplied the skill when it was needed and because of that ruined what was his dream as a great life with Hallie.

Great story! Great acting! One of the best movies ever out of Hollywood. They need to making more movies like that nowadays instead of this woke crap we see all the time.
The movie was adapted from a short story by Dorothy M. Johnson and adapted to the screen by writers, James Warner Bellah and Willis Goldbeck. However, the major factors that made this western a great movie was John Ford's direction and the perfect casting of John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. The title song was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Often we credit actors in starring roles for great movies but the fact is writing, directing, casting, and cinematography are the most critical factors in making great movies.

The movie was adapted from a short story by Dorothy M. Johnson and adapted to the screen by writers, James Warner Bellah and Willis Goldbeck. However, the major factors that made this western a great movie was John Ford's direction and the perfect casting of John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. The title song was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Often we credit actors in starring roles for great movies but the fact is writing, directing, casting, and cinematography are the most critical factors in making great movies.
John Wayne played "against type" in this movie, as he did in "Red River" and "The Searchers".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back