Bob Lee Swagger

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I like the Stephen Hunter novels featuring Vietnam era former sniper Bob Lee Swagger and I think I read them all.. I also liked the 07 movie "Shooter" featuring Mark Walberg but Swagger is about in his early 30's in 2007 and in Hunter's latest Swagger book, published in 2022, the guy is a 73 year old with a titanium hip and a bunch of ailments related to a long active life. "Targeted" might be the last of the Swagger novels but I liked it even with the Revolutionary War references.

I like the Stephen Hunter novels featuring Vietnam era former sniper Bob Lee Swagger and I think I read them all.. I also liked the 07 movie "Shooter" featuring Mark Walberg but Swagger is about in his early 30's in 2007 and in Hunter's latest Swagger book, published in 2022, the guy is a 73 year old with a titanium hip and a bunch of ailments related to a long active life. "Targeted" might be the last of the Swagger novels but I liked it even with the Revolutionary War references.
I did not know "Shooter" was based on a book in series. How may Swagger books are there?

I did not know "Shooter" was based on a book in series. How may Swagger books are there?
Nick Memphis is a rookie FBI agent in the movie but he is a senior boss in the Swagger books. Donnie Fenn was Swagger's spotter killed in Vietnam and the Fenn character was also Swaggers spotter and killed. So it seems the movie tried to preserve Hunter's basic characters and the semblance of Swagger's exploits in a different era. Personally I kind of like the book version of Swagger who is a tough grizzled old Veteran who just wants to live in peace and raise horses but keeps getting dragged into mostly government conspiracies.

The books about Earl Swagger, his father, are even better.
The Earl Swagger character was Bob Lee's father and was awarded the MOH on Iwo Jima and became sheriff in rural Arkansas. I think "Blacklight" was the name of the Earl Swagger book. Hunter even wrote a book about Earl's father who was a 30's G.Man

The "Delta" character appears in Hunter's latest book as well as "Niner". Both are young hardened Army Vets who save Swagger's ass but balance on the line between outlaws and the law. I expect to see Delta again.

Hollywood don't give a damn. They buy the rights to the character and make up a plot. I like the Jack Reacher novels. The Reacher character is a giant of a man about 6-6 and Tinsel town picked little 5-5? Tom Cruise to play the character.

Hollywood don't give a damn. They buy the rights to the character and make up a plot. I like the Jack Reacher novels. The Reacher character is a giant of a man about 6-6 and Tinsel town picked little 5-5? Tom Cruise to play the character.

Amazon got Reacher right in their series. At 6' 3", Alan Ritchson comes in 2" shorter than the book description of Reacher, but you'd hardly notice. Not at all like Tom "the Dwarf" Cruise.

I am very much looking forward two season two...

I am also hoping that Lee Child's little brother doesn't screw up the books now that he is at the helm...

Amazon got Reacher right in their series. At 6' 3", Alan Ritchson comes in 2" shorter than the book description of Reacher, but you'd hardly notice. Not at all like Tom "the Dwarf" Cruise.

I am very much looking forward two season two...

I am also hoping that Lee Child's little brother doesn't screw up the books now that he is at the helm...
I don't do Amazon so I have no idea about "season 2" or who Alan Ritchson is. I only saw one Reacher movie and the best character for my money was Duval who played a former Marine not found in Reacher's novels. Little Tom Cruise played his usual smarmy self . I can't say the latest Reacher book co-written by Child & son was a disappointment but it didn't seem to live up to the original Reacher stuff.

Of course Bob Lee isn't only Swagger. Stephen Hunter created his Marine WW2 hero father who went into law enforcement and even his grandfather who was a G-man. In the latest Bob Lee Swagger novel (Targeted) Hunter introduces an ancestor who fought with the British during the Revolution and fled to Ark-An-Saw with his wife who was pregnant with British military hero and inventor Major Patrick Ferguson's child. Legend has it that British sniper Ferguson once had General George Washington in his sights but declined to take a shot. Quite a recipe for a plot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back