The majority of the mentally ill are harmless

Eots -

I think anyone who mental health experts would consider has a heightened tendency for:

a) violence & aggression

b) suicide

c) depression

should be denied access to firearms.

I agree that some mental health patients might then be considered safe, but I do think they should requite a psychiatric evaluation and clearance before being allowed to purchase a weapon.

Eots -

I think anyone who mental health experts would consider has a heightened tendency for:

a) violence & aggression

b) suicide

c) depression

should be denied access to firearms.

I agree that some mental health patients might then be considered safe, but I do think they should requite a psychiatric evaluation and clearance before being allowed to purchase a weapon.

Fortunately for us that is not the law. Again one must be Judged Incompetent or have been committed to a mental institute by competent authority.

Retired GS -

I think Virginia Tech proved why the law needs a tweak.

People who are mentally ill just can't be trusted to make good decisions.

Yep reminds me of a current right wing thread saying that Obama is the antichrist.
Not totally sane there fer sure.

Retired GS -

I think Virginia Tech proved why the law needs a tweak.

People who are mentally ill just can't be trusted to make good decisions.

Virginia failed to have laws in place to report the problem. He was judged they just did not report it properly. I am opposed to any new laws.

Sgt -

Wouldn't it be better and safer to say that any person who has been treated for depression or mental health ssues undergo an evaluation before they are issued a gun license?

To me that just seems basic health and safety.

Sgt -

Wouldn't it be better and safer to say that any person who has been treated for depression or mental health ssues undergo an evaluation before they are issued a gun license?

To me that just seems basic health and safety.

And who exactly gets to make the decision, how do you codify it so that it is the same everywhere? And whats next? No your plan is ignorant and subjective.

RGS -

Well, here we have a system whereby ANYONE who applies for a gun license undergoes a basic pschye evaluation conducted by a police-licensed shrink. It takes less than an hour.

It's mainly targetted at teenagers - I doubt they get too fussy with a farmer who wants a shotgun, but a bit more so with a 17 year old who wants a couple of Glocks to take to school.

Everyone also have to complete a safety course run by gun clubs, and if they fail that, they don't get a license.

I call that fair.

Yeah prevents mentally ill from purchasing any more weapons but does not impound the ones they now have....

Well, what do you think they do? Of course it authorizes the authorities to obtain a warrant to confiscate illegally owned firearms. What the typical leftie solution seems to be suggesting is government invasion without a warrant of everyone's home looking for illegal firearms. It don't work that way, so far.

Forum List

Back