The main problem with education

It's irrelevant.

There is no need to waste time reading Elizabethan English. And besides the stories are boring and hackneyed.

You probably have no greater capacity to understand just what that post makes you look like than does any other farm animal mindlessly going about its aimless, un-reflected life.

Tell me how on earth did reading Shakespeare help you reflect on your life?

You obviously learned nothing the few years you were in school before dropping out.

You probably have no greater capacity to understand just what that post makes you look like than does any other farm animal mindlessly going about its aimless, un-reflected life.

Tell me how on earth did reading Shakespeare help you reflect on your life?

You obviously learned nothing the few years you were in school before dropping out.

I learned more after I dropped out than I did in school.

Like not to waste my time reading shit because someone else thought it to be important.

I'm sure you're a good little boy and you believe everything you are told but I was never so naive.

Last edited:
I'm sure you tell yourself that all the time.

Funny I learned how not to have to work anymore after age 40.

Bet you didn't learn that reading Shakespeare.

See previous comments, livestock.

Your comments as usual are nothing but you telling everyone else they're wrong and you are right.

I have yet to see you mention your vocation here or your current retirement status.

The fact is there is nothing I learned in high school other than reading, math or physics that has ever made me a dime.

Most HS grads are woefully unprepared to function in the world and it's not because they didn't read enough Shakespeare.

The fact is there is nothing I learned in high school other than reading, math or physics that has ever made me a dime...

The fact is you are too stupid to realize just what you failed to learn. Too late for you now, livestock. Just go chew your cud.

The fact is there is nothing I learned in high school other than reading, math or physics that has ever made me a dime...

The fact is you are too stupid to realize just what you failed to learn. Too late for you now, livestock. Just go chew your cud.

Funny you call others cattle but how much time have you spent in the herd that commutes to and from a job for the better part of their life with nothing to show for it?

So go curl up with your dead English play write and see if you can gain some insight into the difference of knowing something and knowing how to do something.

Because you strike me as a guy who thinks he knows everything but can't actually do anything.

Because you strike me as a guy who thinks he knows everything but can't actually do anything.

And you strike me as a thing that wants to believe that because you know that you are a blockhead who will never understand himself or the world around him. You're just passing through and taking up space like any other dumb animal.

And you strike me as a thing that wants to believe that because you know that you are a blockhead who will never understand himself or the world around him. You're just passing through and taking up space like any other dumb animal.

Of course you think you're the smartest person in the room. You have to. The only thing you have is petty put downs and a pathological need to feel superior to others.

Like I said you think you know everything but can't do anything.

when I joined the Marine Corps I was already functional in German (3 years of high school), and had been fluent in Spanish (phrases as a young child, immersion by spending lots of time with a Cuban family, and 2 years in junior high). I was given the DLAB and based on that test was sent to DLI to learn Arabic and became fluent in a year.

See, this is why I hesitate over the term "fluent." You were very likely not actually "functional" in German after 3 years of it in high school, almost certainly not fluent in Spanish from the description above (and "spending lots of time with a Cuban family" does not constitute immersion - hence, my caution with that term earlier), and after one year you were not "fluent" in Arabic in the full meaning of the word. People have a tendency to grossly overestimate their facility with foreign languages, given what complete fluency really means.

I already defined my use of the term for my purposes in this thread, and I was fluent. You can choose to not believe me if you prefer.

Of course you think you're the smartest person in the room. .

Nope. Back to your grazing, Bessie.

Of course you think you're the smartest person in the room. .

Nope. Back to your grazing, Bessie.

Believe me you're nowhere near as smart as you think you are. In fact I know people who never set foot in a university that are magnitudes of order more intelligent than you even though you would look down on them.

So go ahead with your little put downs if it makes you feel like a man.

Last edited:
when I joined the Marine Corps I was already functional in German (3 years of high school), and had been fluent in Spanish (phrases as a young child, immersion by spending lots of time with a Cuban family, and 2 years in junior high). I was given the DLAB and based on that test was sent to DLI to learn Arabic and became fluent in a year.

See, this is why I hesitate over the term "fluent." You were very likely not actually "functional" in German after 3 years of it in high school, almost certainly not fluent in Spanish from the description above (and "spending lots of time with a Cuban family" does not constitute immersion - hence, my caution with that term earlier), and after one year you were not "fluent" in Arabic in the full meaning of the word. People have a tendency to grossly overestimate their facility with foreign languages, given what complete fluency really means.

I already defined my use of the term for my purposes in this thread, and I was fluent. You can choose to not believe me if you prefer.

I choose to use the term more accurately and realistically. It is almost certain that you were not.

I already defined my use of the term for my purposes in this thread

Let's take a look at your overly generous understanding of the term:

I define "fluent" as being able to function in the target language without any other language assistance.

What exactly do you mean by "function"? Do you mean being able to find a post office, ask where the bathroom is, and order some food? Do you mean being able to read the local newspaper from front to back? Do you mean being able to read a novel written in the target language? Do you mean being able to discuss local politics and social issues? Do you mean being able to study academic subjects at a high level using only the target language as the means of communicating and receiving information? Do you mean being able to translate or interpret instantaneously on any subject?

Again, people have a tendency to grossly overestimate their proficiency in other languages. It is perhaps a natural inclination.

Forum List

Back