The Life Of An Alcoholic

I like my Michelob in a bottle. Along with a campfire and food cooked on a campfire..... While camping.

I enjoy beer - but I do not believe myself to be even close to an alcoholic.

Shadow 355

Their drinking wasn't more important, in their eyes, either. It was erasing the pain and allowed them to be blind to how it affected us kids. They still got us up and ready for school, fed us, dressed us, dad continued to make us a good living, etc., but emotionally they were detached, and blind to its effects on us, at the time.
Well if I were to decide my drinking was more important than anything, I would not subject anyone else to it.

Not unless they knew the deal and agreed to live with it....

Fortunately, my kids are grown and successful on their own.
I'm not advocating drinking and ruining lives around you.
I'm just saying sometimes, it's the best choice for you, but, you do need to distance yourself from others. It's not fair to them - children or adults....
When I was in my teens and 20s I had a problem with crack cocaine, cigarettes, marijuana and binge drinking. I also dropped a lot of LSD. Over 100 hits one day.

When my kids started getting older things changed.

Would I want my daughters emulating dad and becoming crack addicts and lushes?

When it comes to alcohol I preached moderation, and I had to lead by example to be taken seriously.

One night my eldest daughter asked me "Daddy, whose that black guy in the neat old Lincoln with the suicide doors? Why does he come here at 3 in the morning?"

That was it, no more coke. I quit crack cocaine cold turkey.
I also quit cigarettes and marijuana cold turkey.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm around someone who is smoking drugs it doesn't bother me. That's their problem and I never did ever believe in significant second hand smoke damage to non-smokers. The scientific evidence supporting that is so flimsey that it's practically non-existant.

And I still usually have a drink or two with dinner or a couple when we go out dancing or singing karaoke. But that's nothing compared to how much I used to drink

Watch "Leaving Las Vegas". That's an alcoholic.

My parents had a penchant for booze, but it was an occasional crutch and not a way of life.

Same holds true for me.

It helps me deal with you fuckers... on occasion. :fu:

Alcoholics go to meetings, so I'm just a functional drunk.

When you can't function without alcohol, you have a problem that you need help with.

I once worked with a dude who would tremble in the morning until he had a beer.

His coffee cup never had coffee in it.

I don't find meetings helpful. People can't solve your problems, and I don't need a shoulder to cry on.
Drinking is fun and makes you feel good -
Counseling also is no good unless you are willing to put in the work.....

You can have a PHYSICAL addiction to alcohol -
You can also have a PSYCHOLOGICAL addiction - very different things.

I view my addiction more like a divorce from someone you really love......
Mr Gracie didn't go to meetings either. He said being around a bunch of drunks talking about drinking made him want to go get a drink. So he did it at home. By himself. With lots of help from hot tea and shitloads of sugar. And candy. Lots of candy.
By then...it ruined our marriage. He chose his best friends (whiskey and vodka) over me and I finally had enough. It killed the love. Not the friendship once he was sober, but the love is...poofed.
WHY did he finally decide to quit? I don't know. And I didn't ask. Just one day after one particularly heavy drinkfest and his hangover..he said "I'm done". And I said "I was done 10 years ago".
We don't talk about it. We get along just fine as best friends and roommates. We are happy now. Finally.

I feel bad for drunks, but not enough to be around them in real life. I just don't have the patience, and my pity meter broke long ago.

Their drinking wasn't more important, in their eyes, either. It was erasing the pain and allowed them to be blind to how it affected us kids. They still got us up and ready for school, fed us, dressed us, dad continued to make us a good living, etc., but emotionally they were detached, and blind to its effects on us, at the time.
Well if I were to decide my drinking was more important than anything, I would not subject anyone else to it.

I'm just saying sometimes, it's the best choice for you, but, you do need to distance yourself from others. It's not fair to them - children or adults....
In too many cases, the drinking only postpones dealing with the real problem.

Kinda hard when you don't even know what the problem is - or if there is no solution - only how you "mentally" deal with it -

My point wasn't getting over it, it's just that some people just choose that road, and, if it doesn't put anyone else's life in danger - I see no harm in it -

People do things to hurt other people all the time.

Alcoholics go to meetings, so I'm just a functional drunk.

When you can't function without alcohol, you have a problem that you need help with.

I once worked with a dude who would tremble in the morning until he had a beer.

His coffee cup never had coffee in it.

I don't find meetings helpful. People can't solve your problems, and I don't need a shoulder to cry on.
Drinking is fun and makes you feel good -
Counseling also is no good unless you are willing to put in the work.....

You can have a PHYSICAL addiction to alcohol -
You can also have a PSYCHOLOGICAL addiction - very different things.

I view my addiction more like a divorce from someone you really love......
Mr Gracie didn't go to meetings either. He said being around a bunch of drunks talking about drinking made him want to go get a drink. So he did it at home. By himself. With lots of help from hot tea and shitloads of sugar. And candy. Lots of candy.
By then...it ruined our marriage. He chose his best friends (whiskey and vodka) over me and I finally had enough. It killed the love. Not the friendship once he was sober, but the love is...poofed.
WHY did he finally decide to quit? I don't know. And I didn't ask. Just one day after one particularly heavy drinkfest and his hangover..he said "I'm done". And I said "I was done 10 years ago".
We don't talk about it. We get along just fine as best friends and roommates. We are happy now. Finally.

I feel bad for drunks, but not enough to be around them in real life. I just don't have the patience, and my pity meter broke long ago.

I was a complete ass when I was shitfaced so I understand.
I would never drink heavily again unless I lived alone.....

Why people find it "fun" to make a fool out of themselves and act like idiots, I really don't know. Aside from my father, who was a pretty "stoic" kind of guy, most of the drunks I've seen and met (when drunk) acted like foolish clowns.

Watch "Leaving Las Vegas". That's an alcoholic.

My parents had a penchant for booze, but it was an occasional crutch and not a way of life.

Same holds true for me.

It helps me deal with you fuckers... on occasion. :fu:

I've seen it.
It's my dream....

Kinda hard when you don't even know what the problem is - or if there is no solution - only how you "mentally" deal with it -

My point wasn't getting over it, it's just that some people just choose that road, and, if it doesn't put anyone else's life in danger - I see no harm in it -

There is your physical health and your mental health to consider.

Doesn't matter. If you aren't willing to admit it's a problem and you aren't willing to try to quit, then it's not going to happen. The only one who can make that decision is you, Bonzi.

I used to drink a lot. Every day. A case of beer/day or more. The Budweiser beer distibuter truck literally stopped at my house on it's route once a week. They would deliver a dozen cases per week.
And I would go to the bar almost every day after work all the time too. And smoke tons of weed and crack cocaine. When I played guitar in a blues band I would get absolutely blitzed on coke. There's no way you could possibly perform the same without it. Cocaine made you superman on the guitar and methamphetamine made you superman in the sack.

.... from one perspective....

- when you are an alcoholic, it's the only thing you look forward to - having your drink(s).....

When you don't have that to look forward to, life is just getting through the day, and unless you have a "substitute" or something to replace that one thing you look forward to, there is not much meaning to life.

Maybe it's possible that for some people, alcohol is the answer for them. Instead of trying to make everyone fit in and be normal.

This can be said of other addictions as well.......

I am an addiction counselor

This is where addiction doesn't care who you are, what party that you belong to,or how rich you are.

Whatever the addiction, it starts in the reward center of the brain, releasing feel good hormones into the body.
Meth releases the most feel good hormones so it brings the person down the fastest.

Food,shopping , drugs alcohol, gambling, sports, smoking ect. all reward us .

A fat person judging a drunk or a smoker do not realize that they have an addiction too, visa versa.

A rehap, or a support group like AA, feeds the brain with tools to help, because the brain has changed, relapse can happen anytime for the rest of their life's.

We need to start treating drug addicts instead of just punishing them.

About alcohol, I was married to an abusive alcohol who had not drunk in almost 30 years. Its very very possible to be a dry drunk - have all the behaviors of a wet drunk while supposedly sober.

I was married to someone like that as well. Never drank but behaved like an angry drunk all the time. I had emotional issues from living with an alcoholic father and thought I married someone unlike that because he didn't drink but he was worse. I internalize a lot and the high stress of living that way for such a long time manifested itself in my body with an auto immune disease called Rheumatoid Arthritis. The stress someone who has an addiction causes others is difficult to describe, they think that the problem they have only concerns themselves as they are the ones doing what they do to themselves but it ripples out in destruction to everyone around them especially ones in the household. People deal with it in different ways. Those who internalize and have no real outlet often end up with an auto immune disorder from high octane stress levels
This is why some call it a family disease. The family members walk out of the situation more screwed up than the alcoholic in many cases, if they do not get help themselves. There are reasons why a person would stay in a situation like that and getting support and /or therapy is paramount to survival.

I used to drink my fair share as a teen and early 20s, but then I realized what an arse I was, and I stopped. I still drink on occasion but rare occasion. I've probably been "drunk" twice in the past 5 years, once at a friend's b-day party at a bar, and another time at a wedding reception for my cousin. Both times, I barfed and had a very unpleasant experience. I find that I really do not have much fun when I'm drinking like that. It's much better for me to keep it to one or two and sip them and never drink on an empty stomach!

good lord you don't know my feelings about pets! they are treated too much like people! better than people.
I love people much more than animals!

Maybe look into a hospital program that offers 'preemie' touchers. people who come into neo natal wards & giving loving human touch to preemies when their parents can't be there. The warm & loving touching that preemies receive help build their immunity & growth so much.

Doesn't matter. If you aren't willing to admit it's a problem and you aren't willing to try to quit, then it's not going to happen. The only one who can make that decision is you, Bonzi.

I already have quit. With no intention of going back. Unless I wind up in a situation where I live alone and can do what I want.

It's only a problem if you perceive it that way.

Hell! If I started drinking again, as long as I didn't drive or carry a weapon, it's unlikely I would endanger anyone's life.
But I have 3 children that would miss me and partners in business that would suffer financially.

if it doesn't put anyone else's life in danger - I see no harm in it -

You keep telling yourself that because the only one you are fooling is...you.
It DOES hurt other people. Sometimes physically, most times mentally. And it hurts really bad. And affects children seeing it, living with it. Eventually, they may become an alcoholic just from the stress of being around one growing up. Or not. Luck of the draw.
People drink because something is going on in their head to want to escape. Until that is fixed, the drinking will never stop until your liver does.

good lord you don't know my feelings about pets! they are treated too much like people! better than people.
I love people much more than animals!
Oy.

I'm done here.
There is something wrong with you. Seriously.

Forum List

Back