The Life Of An Alcoholic

One is for a noble cause... the other isn't. If you died tomorrow, there would be great pain, whether you recognize it or not.
That point of view allows one to continue to deny the harm one is doing to others. Prime example, my grandrather felt that same way, yett the pain caused by my grandfather's selfish act brought about great pain to my parents and us, resulting in a selfish act which brought even greater pain for us kids, who were innocent in all of it. It creates a vicious cycle.
And distancing yourself to drink isn't fair to them either.
Their drinking wasn't more important, in their eyes, either. It was erasing the pain and allowed them to be blind to how it affected us kids. They still got us up and ready for school, fed us, dressed us, dad continued to make us a good living, etc., but emotionally they were detached, and blind to its effects on us, at the time.
Well if I were to decide my drinking was more important than anything, I would not subject anyone else to it.

Not unless they knew the deal and agreed to live with it....

Fortunately, my kids are grown and successful on their own.
I'm not advocating drinking and ruining lives around you.
I'm just saying sometimes, it's the best choice for you, but, you do need to distance yourself from others. It's not fair to them - children or adults....

If the care about your happiness it is.
If died tomorrow, life would go on.
Since when did making a decision on how to live your life become "selfish"?
If I decided I wanted to become homeless and drink myself to oblivion, it may (or may not) hurt others, but, if I decided to become a missionary and put my life in danger in an unsafe country that is OK?

Anyone that you loved would be asking themselves, what could I have done...when only you ever had the control over it. But that wouldn't stop them from asking themselves anyway.

Anyone that you loved would be asking themselves, what could I have done...when only you ever had the control over it. But that wouldn't stop them from asking themselves anyway.

I'm not that unselfish. But fortunately (for them, not me) I am too much of a chicken to do what I really want to do... I suppose the ends justifies the means...

If you mean quitting drinking, yes it is. :itsok:

I'm not that unselfish. But fortunately (for them, not me) I am too much of a chicken to do what I really want to do... I suppose the ends justifies the means...

I don't mean to sound like a whiner about it - I know I am however :) I'm just trying to figure out how to build up the courage to do what I want - I keep getting stopped by God or whatever .... for what reason I have no idea, I guess so I can just live out a boring ass life....

Once you look outside yourself, it will quit be boring. Breaking the habit of drinking while helping others can bring meaning to life again. And you can do that without money, if that were a problem. Right now would be a great time to find a soup kitchen where you could help serve Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless. Can you cook? Offer to help cook. They usually serve it a few days before Thanksgiving so as to not interrupt your own. Visit the VA to tell those guys thank you for serving, visit a nursing home. Many just love someone to spend a few minutes with them, as they don't get visitors often. Volunteer at a hospital, a womans shelter. The smiles and thanks are worth it.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner about it - I know I am however :) I'm just trying to figure out how to build up the courage to do what I want - I keep getting stopped by God or whatever .... for what reason I have no idea, I guess so I can just live out a boring ass life....

Once you look outside yourself, it will quit be boring. Breaking the habit of drinking while helping others can bring meaning to life again. And you can do that without money, if that were a problem. Right now would be a great time to find a soup kitchen where you could help serve Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless. Can you cook? Offer to help cook. They usually serve it a few days before Thanksgiving so as to not interrupt your own. Visit the VA to tell those guys thank you for serving, visit a nursing home. Many just love someone to spend a few minutes with them, as they don't get visitors often. Volunteer at a hospital, a womans shelter. The smiles and thanks are worth it.

that does not work with socio-path

Then volunteer with a pet rescue. Minimal dealing with people. ;)

that does not work with socio-path

good lord you don't know my feelings about pets! they are treated too much like people! better than people.
I love people much more than animals!

Then a soup kitchen it is.
Remember, excuses are like....
good lord you don't know my feelings about pets! they are treated too much like people! better than people.

you don't give up, but you will.....
not excuses, I know myself - and I'm content with that ... except for the chickenshit part... that part pisses me off

Because you are content with that is the reason you drink. It is easier than dealing with real life. You have to break the cycle, lady. You can do it. You'll be thanking yourself in a few months, and so will your family.
There is no looking back with the other. That is not chickenshit. It is evidence of the will to find a way out of this rut that is good for you, rather than destructive.
It's time to be an adult in life, by growing up and grabbing it by the horns.
You can succeed in living rather than just existing.
My dad, later in life ended up in a wheelchair after a vascular surgery. And he was one of the most active people I had ever known, loved to golf, etc. He became depressed for awhile, but finally kicked himself in the butt, and realized there was a reason to live, to take time to enjoy his family and to smell the flowers. we were so glad he did, for himself, and for us.
Don't let the bottle run your life, let yourself run your life.

not excuses, I know myself - and I'm content with that ... except for the chickenshit part... that part pisses me off

Because you are content with that is the reason you drink. It is easier than dealing with real life. You have to break the cycle, lady. You can do it. You'll be thanking yourself in a few months, and so will your family.
There is no looking back with the other. That is not chickenshit. It is evidence of the will to find a way out of this rut that is good for you, rather than destructive.
My dad, later in life ended up in a wheelchair after a vascular surgery. And he was one of the most active people I had ever known, loved to golf, etc. He became depressed for awhile, but finally kicked himself in the butt, and realized there was a reason to live, to take time to enjoy his family and to smell the flowers. we were so glad he did, for himself, and for us.

I've tried living life and loving people - 51 years - is not working for me -

Have you ever seen the movie Full Metal Jacket..... one of the guys training goes pretty much nuts stating "I Live In a World of Shit".....

Ever wonder what makes some people fold under pressure and some not....? Think about it.....

Tell me "bonzi" ...is constant cyber bullying, hacking into accounts mocking, belittling, rumors based on half truths...is this part of your Christian walk?

I've tried living life and loving people - 51 years - is not working for me -

Loving others always works

.... from one perspective....

- when you are an alcoholic, it's the only thing you look forward to - having your drink(s).....

When you don't have that to look forward to, life is just getting through the day, and unless you have a "substitute" or something to replace that one thing you look forward to, there is not much meaning to life.

Maybe it's possible that for some people, alcohol is the answer for them. Instead of trying to make everyone fit in and be normal.

This can be said of other addictions as well.......

Vanilla I use for cookies is 41% alcohol. Just saying. If ever hard up it's basically strong vanilla schnapps.
That's 82 proof. It's stronger than Jack Daniels.

Tell me "bonzi" ...is constant cyber bullying, hacking into accounts mocking, belittling, rumors based on half truths...is this part of your Christian walk?

I don't do any of those things. Do you think I do? If so why?

Damn, are you a recovering drunk, Bonzi? I would have pegged you for an opium addict. Nothing personal.

Forum List

Back