The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

You dont seem to know what the thread is about, go back and read what its about

Well when I read the OP it was about Congressmen not being allowed to say "Merry Christmas" in official correspondence. So how is Peach not addressing that specific thing?

What do you think it is about. Did the thread author change it and I missed it?

(The board is so slow for me today I'm gonna go find something else to do for awhile, but I do think addressing the appropriateness of a Congressman saying "Merry Christmas" to his/her constituents is fair game for discussion and directly addresses the OP.

You are right and peach was clearly not off topic.

The REASON that the Franking Committee forbids Congress-critters from using the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their franked mail is the idiotic liberal misconception about the nature of the Constitutional instructions to the government about religion.

What Peach pointed out was that Congress MADE Christmas Day a Federal Holiday. So it is at least passing strange that the very same Holiday cannot be acknowledged in franked Congressional mail.

I don't believe that most liberals have a misconception about the nature of the Constitutional instructions to the government about religion, I think that they are being deliberately deceptive. Except for TDM, she's completely ignorant.

Madison said himself they had to be kept apart to protect both.

Again, stupid: that MEANS that the government cannot insert itself into the church (or synagogue or mosque) and the church (or synagogue or mosque) cannot insert itself into the government.

It does NOT mean that there is or should be any Constitutionally valid prohibition against Congress-critters saying "Merry Christmas" to close out a franked letter to their constituents.

What if they're Jewish? That could be considered offensive, and don't most GOP types consider themselves friends of Israel?

What if they're Buddhist? Hindu? Or any other religious belief for that matter?

Why should Christmas (a uniquely Christian holiday) be the only one to be used?

If you are offended by someone saying Merry Christmas during the Christmas holiday season then you have a real problem and need to seek help.

Well when I read the OP it was about Congressmen not being allowed to say "Merry Christmas" in official correspondence. So how is Peach not addressing that specific thing?

What do you think it is about. Did the thread author change it and I missed it?

(The board is so slow for me today I'm gonna go find something else to do for awhile, but I do think addressing the appropriateness of a Congressman saying "Merry Christmas" to his/her constituents is fair game for discussion and directly addresses the OP.

You are right and peach was clearly not off topic.

The REASON that the Franking Committee forbids Congress-critters from using the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their franked mail is the idiotic liberal misconception about the nature of the Constitutional instructions to the government about religion.

What Peach pointed out was that Congress MADE Christmas Day a Federal Holiday. So it is at least passing strange that the very same Holiday cannot be acknowledged in franked Congressional mail.

I don't believe that most liberals have a misconception about the nature of the Constitutional instructions to the government about religion, I think that they are being deliberately deceptive. Except for TDM, she's completely ignorant.

Hey PrickFan (yeah you ya little cock gobbling colon jouster), why is it that we have to recognize Christmas (a uniquely Christian holiday), while ignoring the belief systems of those who are Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or whatever?

Saying that you HAVE to use Christmas is a form of imposing Christianity, as no other faith officially celebrates it.

Again, stupid: that MEANS that the government cannot insert itself into the church (or synagogue or mosque) and the church (or synagogue or mosque) cannot insert itself into the government.

It does NOT mean that there is or should be any Constitutionally valid prohibition against Congress-critters saying "Merry Christmas" to close out a franked letter to their constituents.

What if they're Jewish? That could be considered offensive, and don't most GOP types consider themselves friends of Israel?

Nobody suggested or implied that it is or should be the only one used.

They are (or ought to be) free to wish you a Happy Hanukkah. They should be free to wish you an easy fast of Ashura.

If some Congress-critter sent me a franked letter (and let's be blunt: they are all just re-election materials anyway) and it wished me a Merry Christmas, I would not be offended. Wish me a Happy Hanukkah. Still not offended. Wish me an easy fast of Ashura. STILL not offended. Wish me a merry fucking "Kwanzaa" and I'm STILL not offended.

But if I do get offended, good. Then it's ON the Congress-critter.

So, it's all good.

I'm just curious. Has anyone heard of anything seriously happening as a result of someone getting correspondence with "Merry Christmas" (or something like it) in it? I mean, any hostage taking or sniper fire, etc? Maybe some rampant atheist violence at a local mall? Not that I want anything bad to happen, but it would be kinda cool to watch the evening news and see "Rabid agnostic sets fire to self in protest over Happy Hanukkah postcard arriving in mail along with issue of Skeptic."
I'm just saying. . .I would giggle a little bit.
Is that wrong?

Nobody suggested or implied that it is or should be the only one used.

They are (or ought to be) free to wish you a Happy Hanukkah. They should be free to wish you an easy fast of Ashura.

If some Congress-critter sent me a franked letter (and let's be blunt: they are all just re-election materials anyway) and it wished me a Merry Christmas, I would not be offended. Wish me a Happy Hanukkah. Still not offended. Wish me an easy fast of Ashura. STILL not offended. Wish me a merry fucking "Kwanzaa" and I'm STILL not offended.

But if I do get offended, good. Then it's ON the Congress-critter.

So, it's all good.
indeed. I wouldn't be offended either. I would choose my arguemnts/fights carefully with the Congresscritter...I am not offended by Christmas/Hanukah...or even the muslim derivitive is such a thing be...it's part of thier makeup, and thier right to represent themselves to that effect.

I will choose to fight them on thier representation on ME by thier policies, by thier votes...and if thier votes in the Congress go against my beliefs? Then I have a dog in the hunt, and my dogs will be unleashed to that effect.

Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus for Christians.
It's not about forcing anyone to become a Christian.
Hearing about Jesus birth is not going to force you to become a Christan.
Christmas has become a Holiday for all Americans to enjoy.
It's all inclusive for everyone, that is why we have Santa and snowflakes and Christmas trees and decorations.
It's the few and far left who are trying to get rid of the Christian tradition of the holiday and that is not right.

So.........all you Christians would be cool if Keith Ellison (D) MN, who also happens to be the only Muslim congresscritter, signed all his correspondence with the Islamic equivalent of the seasonal holiday?

Because, after all........he'd only be staying true to his beliefs and his duties as a congressman.

And so waht? if they want to front a holiday that is in thier belief system? Go for it...they have that right in thier belief system even if I may not belive what they do to embue unto me such a greeting....but in the representitive form of government we are in? Thier fight from me will be when they vote counter to what I may want in LAW/pending Law decisions...because that's where it counts.

So.........all you Christians would be cool if Keith Ellison (D) MN, who also happens to be the only Muslim congresscritter, signed all his correspondence with the Islamic equivalent of the seasonal holiday?

Because, after all........he'd only be staying true to his beliefs and his duties as a congressman.
Your problem is that You assume too much.

Actually Kwaanza was invented by a black activist in the 1960s supposedly to combat the "Exploitation of blacks during the holidays", whatever that means.

So...where does the "thwarting" come in?

I don't know, but his point that it was a made up religion is a valid one.

Kwaanza isn't a religious holiday because it doesn't follow any religion. It is a harvest celebration of a hodge podge of African traditions. Although it isn't celebrated in Africa and never was. Karenda is a dyed in the wool racist who was a founder of the 1960s militant black organization Us is Black, or just US. He invented Kwaanza as an alternative to Christmas which he felt was too "white" to be celebrated by black people.

So...where does the "thwarting" come in?

I don't know, but his point that it was a made up religion is a valid one.

Kwaanza isn't a religious holiday because it doesn't follow any religion. It is a harvest celebration of a hodge podge of African traditions. Although it isn't celebrated in Africa and never was. Karenda is a dyed in the wool racist who was a founder of the 1960s militant black organization Us is Black, or just US. He invented Kwaanza as an alternative to Christmas which he felt was too "white" to be celebrated by black people.
But he and those that follow that type of thinking are perfectly free to practice such a thing if that makes 'em feel good. it's when they try to press it upon me to belive it is where a line will be crossed.

I didn't assume anything. Mr. Ellison has been pretty true to his belief system while being interviewed on television, as well as seems to be a pretty smart representative, so no, saying that he may want to put the Islamic equivalent greeting on his stationary is perfectly rational.

I'm asking YOU, that if you lived in his district and got a letter like that, would you as a Christian be offended?

I didn't ask about anything else, just how you would react if he was your representative and you got a letter like that.

This just in: Senator Boxer sees image of Christ in toast, lobs molotov into Congressional kitchen and forces self to resign. More News at 11. Back to you , Bob.

:lmao:

I didn't assume anything. Mr. Ellison has been pretty true to his belief system while being interviewed on television, as well as seems to be a pretty smart representative, so no, saying that he may want to put the Islamic equivalent greeting on his stationary is perfectly rational.

I'm asking YOU, that if you lived in his district and got a letter like that, would you as a Christian be offended?

I didn't ask about anything else, just how you would react if he was your representative and you got a letter like that.
If you bothered to read my recent posts in this thread? *I think that I answered that question without equivocation*

If he wanted to send out cards celabrating Dec. 29th and 30th as Dhul Hijja then he should be able to do so.
And yes as a Christian I would be cool with it.

If he wanted to send out cards celabrating Dec. 29th and 30th as Dhul Hijja then he should be able to do so.
And yes as a Christian I would be cool with it.
Precisely. And it might...might mind you give me a bump in the butt to investigate the event to further my education...:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back