AC Interviews Hitchens

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCq2T-v-Mo&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Christopher Hitchens Interviewed by Anderson Cooper - YouTube[/ame]

Many have it right:

"There was a time when I believed in the story and the scheme of salvation, so far as I could understand it, just as I believed there was a Devil. . . . Suddenly the light broke through to me and I knew this God was a lie. . . . For indeed it is a silly story, and each generation nowadays swallows it with greater difficulty. . . . Why do people go on pretending about this Christianity?" H. G. Wells

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --- Benjamin Franklin, from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."~Dr. Albert Einstein~

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is none more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory in itself than this thing called Christianity. Too absurd for belief, too impossible to convince, and too inconsistent for practice, it renders the heart torpid or produces only atheists or fanatics. As an engine of power, it serves the purpose of despotism, and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests, but so far as respects the good of man in general it leads to nothing here or hereafter." Thomas Paine

"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world." Bertrand Russell

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women; (c) the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness." Steve Allen

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God." Thomas Paine

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" --- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved--the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!" --- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

George Washington had the inestimable faculty of being able to say nothing. He said nothing about religion -- nothing very definite -- and as a deist was willing to let people think whatever they pleased. As he never discussed religion at all, and went to church only occasionally, he was considered by most people to be a quietly religious man. It was somewhat of a shock, therefore, to the people of Philadelphia, when the reverend Dr. Abercrombie, Washington's pastor, criticised him from the pulpit. He told him that as President, he should not belong to a church unless he could set a good example to others. He reminded Washington that he never took communion or kneeled in prayer, and in short, that his example was bad.

Washington listened to these reproaches in silence, and never went to that church again. His only comment was that he did not wish to annoy Dr. Abercrombie by his presence.

Last edited:

Many have it right:

"There was a time when I believed in the story and the scheme of salvation, so far as I could understand it, just as I believed there was a Devil. . . . Suddenly the light broke through to me and I knew this God was a lie. . . . For indeed it is a silly story, and each generation nowadays swallows it with greater difficulty. . . . Why do people go on pretending about this Christianity?" H. G. Wells

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --- Benjamin Franklin, from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."~Dr. Albert Einstein~

"Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is none more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory in itself than this thing called Christianity. Too absurd for belief, too impossible to convince, and too inconsistent for practice, it renders the heart torpid or produces only atheists or fanatics. As an engine of power, it serves the purpose of despotism, and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests, but so far as respects the good of man in general it leads to nothing here or hereafter." Thomas Paine

"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world." Bertrand Russell

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women; (c) the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness." Steve Allen

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God." Thomas Paine

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" --- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved--the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!" --- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

George Washington had the inestimable faculty of being able to say nothing. He said nothing about religion -- nothing very definite -- and as a deist was willing to let people think whatever they pleased. As he never discussed religion at all, and went to church only occasionally, he was considered by most people to be a quietly religious man. It was somewhat of a shock, therefore, to the people of Philadelphia, when the reverend Dr. Abercrombie, Washington's pastor, criticised him from the pulpit. He told him that as President, he should not belong to a church unless he could set a good example to others. He reminded Washington that he never took communion or kneeled in prayer, and in short, that his example was bad.

Washington listened to these reproaches in silence, and never went to that church again. His only comment was that he did not wish to annoy Dr. Abercrombie by his presence.
Proves he was an idiot just like you. He is waiting fearfully for his judgment right about now.

That's a lie. Washington was an active member of the Anglican church. He was a vestryman for the Church for several years. He sponsored programs of printing and distributing Bibles to the people. He encouraged others in their preaching the word. He quoted scriptures. He encouraged his soldiers to pray and seek Christ. He bought pews in two churches in Virgina for him and his family to use. He had his step-children and their children tutored in the scriptures.

Read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/George-Washingtons-Sacred-Peter-Lillback/dp/0978605268"]George Washington's Sacred Fire[/ame] sometime.

The man was a Christian and your attempts to decieve others is downright despicable. The truth sets a person free. And if your arguments are based in truth, you don't have to lie about others.

Proves he was an idiot just like you. He is waiting fearfully for his judgment right about now.

Hitchens had more intelligence in the fingernail of his pinky finger than you have in your entire body. Keep your delusional, hateful fantasies about Hitchens awaiting eternal torture to yourself.

That's a lie. Washington was an active member of the Anglican church. He was a vestryman for the Church for several years. He sponsored programs of printing and distributing Bibles to the people. He encouraged others in their preaching the word. He quoted scriptures. He encouraged his soldiers to pray and seek Christ. He bought pews in two churches in Virgina for him and his family to use. He had his step-children and their children tutored in the scriptures.

Read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/George-Washingtons-Sacred-Peter-Lillback/dp/0978605268"]George Washington's Sacred Fire[/ame] sometime.

The man was a Christian and your attempts to decieve others is downright despicable. The truth sets a person free. And if your arguments are based in truth, you don't have to lie about others.

As noted by Franklin Steiner in "The Religious Beliefs Of Our Presidents" (1936), Washington commented on sermons only twice. In his writings, he never referred to "Jesus Christ." He attended church rarely, and did not take communion - George Washington and Religion -

still ignorant about what you post and believe?

Last edited:

As noted by Franklin Steiner in "The Religious Beliefs Of Our Presidents" (1936), Washington commented on sermons only twice. In his writings, he never referred to "Jesus Christ." He attended church rarely, and did not take communion - George Washington and Religion -

It's their childhood brainwashing....they can't help it.

If the true god of the universe dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with a bunch of ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has one helluva sense of humor.

Last edited:
OK..........who's had their after dinner brandy and cares to engage

I hope Jesus himself shows up. He turned water into fine wine......there must be a sub plot there somewhere......OR...why are so many priests, bishops etc. into the bottle....not to mention the child thing.

Last edited:

Im shocked! Shocked that youd quote a progressive revision of history and ignore the actual original sources.

See, you have to believe that Washington wasn't a faithful Christian. The only way for a lie to work is to eliminate the truth from history.

If you think he never refered to Christ, then you havent read any of his writings. He refered to God and Christ quite often. He quoted scripture quite often. The man was an active vestryman for his church. He donated money to rent family pews. He attended Church frequently when his other duties didnt keep him from it. He encouraged his soldiers to pray and worship. And he encouraged and sponsored getting the Bible into the hands of the American people and the Native Americans.

The man was a faithful Anglican. And he never one claimed otherwise.

Read George Washington's sacred fire and you can see it in his own words. See, i tend to believe Washington's own words over the words of a Progressive revisionist.

It's their childhood brainwashing....they can't help it.

If the true god of the universe dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with a bunch of ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has one helluva sense of humor.

He does have a sense of humor. And He prefers to show His power using the weak and foolish of the world so that there can be no denying that it is He who is doing His work.

The humble can do anything through Christ. It's the proud who destroy themselves and become bitter and angry.

And those "ignorant goat herders" were far from ignorant. They saw the Lord with their own eyes. They felt the marks in his hands, wrists, and feet. And they testified with perfect knowledge that He lives for they saw Him.

And I would have thought that someone who claimed to be so knowledgible of the scriptures would realize that not a single one of the Twelve was a goat herder. So either you are lying through your teeth or you aren't nearly as knowledgible as you claim to be. Probably both.

How very sad.

Many have it right:

Well YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN JUDGED.....Its,FIRE<BRIMSTONE<AND HELL FOR YOU SONNY :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:tl

Hitchens had more intelligence in the fingernail of his pinky finger than you have in your entire body. Keep your delusional, hateful fantasies about Hitchens awaiting eternal torture to yourself.
He was a TITAN of thought and intelligence.......Bible Bashing Baptists need not Post on this Thread........we have heard it all before.tl

How very sad.

Many have it right:

How very...Christian of you.

Cammmpbell hates the truth that is why he posts lies all the time.

Cammmpbell hates the truth that is why he posts lies all the time.

Meh. Still doesn't explain the other founding fathers obvious derision of religion.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back