The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

We Heathens will take back our midwinter holiday from the Christians who have been taking it over for a while now.
Holiday...you mean Holy Day...right?

Holiday is a term derivitive of religious Holy Days...Times of reflection and Religious fervor...

James Madison is known as the Father of the constitution my friends.

Spew hate on me all you want, when you do you also spew hate on James Madison the Father of our constitution

Jeeeeeesus Fukkkkkking Chryst!

The franking privilege may only be used for matters of public concern or public
service.7 It may not be used to solicit votes or contributions, to send mail regarding
political campaigns or political parties, or to mail autobiographical or holiday greeting
materials.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22771.pdf

Merry Christmas, MFs.

The founders designed a system free of religion.

Pretnd they didnt but the facts are clear

No, TDM, you imbecile. They did not.

They designed a government where one's religious beliefs were not qualifications. 'No law respecting the establishment of a religion or the free exercise thereof' is simply NOT violated by allowing Congress-critters to put the phrase "merry Christmas" in a franked mailing.

Your stupidity remains astounding.

And the word "pretend" has TWO of that pesky letter "e" in it, you dipshit.

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

We Heathens will take back our midwinter holiday from the Christians who have been taking it over for a while now.

The Congress-critters ought to also be free to wish you and Ravi and others of your various stripes Happy Humbug, too.

They can wish our Muslim brothers and sisters a happy Ashura and Easy Fast for all I care.

For example this reference. Madison wrote this to try to stop a bill that was going to tax people to support Christian teachers. Clearly a violation of the Constitution. this is not in any way the same as a congressman saying "Merry Christmas" in a letter to a constituent. Only in the twisted liberal mind would the two be the same.

James Madison's Veto Messages by Gene Garman

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

------------------------------

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324

its the father of the constitution speaking you history challenged dolts.

service.7 It may not be used to solicit votes or contributions, to send mail regarding
political campaigns or political parties, or to mail autobiographical or holiday greeting
materials.

Merry Christmas, MFs.

I have NEVER (i.e., not once) EVER gotten a fucking franked piece of mail from a Congress-critter that WASN'T essentially mere re-election campaign material.

I'd venture the guess that nobody else has, either.

And who gives a shit if they say "Merry Christmas" or not?

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324

You can highlight it in any color you want to, it still doesn't say what you want it to say.

James Madison is known as the Father of the constitution my friends.

Spew hate on me all you want, when you do you also spew hate on James Madison the Father of our constitution
The Constitution had many Authors...

Twit

Do you understand why Madison is known as the father of the constitution?
As long as YOU understand that The Declaraion is also part of it and is codified by The Constitution...and is replete with references to GOD.

Clear?

materials.

Merry Christmas, MFs.

I have NEVER (i.e., not once) EVER gotten a fucking franked piece of mail from a Congress-critter that WASN'T essentially mere re-election campaign material.

I'd venture the guess that nobody else has, either.

And who gives a shit if they say "Merry Christmas" or not?
And ALL of a Form letter format...impersonal as it gets...

those who claim the separation of church and state was NOT part of the founders intentions.

June 3, 1811

its the father of the constitution speaking you history challenged dolts.

You are the dolt, moron.

Giving a "grant" of "public land" to a church WOULD violate the precept that the government cannot establish any religion.

"Allowing" a Congress-critter to send a mailing (that he or she IS going to send one way or the other) that includes the phrase "Merry Christmas" would obviously NOT tend to establish a religion nor prohibit the free exercise of any religion.

You are so dense, lead is envious.

June 3, 1811

You can highlight it in any color you want to, it still doesn't say what you want it to say.

It was an assurance to the Church that the government would not interfere in Church affairs.

Forum List

Back