The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

Sounds like they are going to have to remove Christmas from our national holidays as I don't think we should have a holiday that we can't mention by name.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

We Heathens will take back our midwinter holiday from the Christians who have been taking it over for a while now.
Holiday...you mean Holy Day...right?

Holiday is a term derivitive of religious Holy Days...Times of reflection and Religious fervor...

and the word "bead" used to mean "prayer" and yet now there is no connection betwen the two.......

just like there is nothing religious about arbor day or columbus day.......

and the word "holy" used to mean "bringing health" and had no religious connotations at all.........

Last edited:
Jeeeeeesus Fukkkkkking Chryst!

The franking privilege may only be used for matters of public concern or public
service.7 It may not be used to solicit votes or contributions, to send mail regarding
political campaigns or political parties, or to mail autobiographical or holiday greeting
materials.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22771.pdf

Merry Christmas, MFs.

Hey blind, they aren't talking about sending greeting cards, they mean you cannot say Merry Christmas as a greeting on official business.

Jeeeeeesus Fukkkkkking Chryst!

The franking privilege may only be used for matters of public concern or public
service.7 It may not be used to solicit votes or contributions, to send mail regarding
political campaigns or political parties, or to mail autobiographical or holiday greeting
materials.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22771.pdf

Merry Christmas, MFs.

I have NEVER (i.e., not once) EVER gotten a fucking franked piece of mail from a Congress-critter that WASN'T essentially mere re-election campaign material.

I'd venture the guess that nobody else has, either.

And who gives a shit if they say "Merry Christmas" or not?

Have you ever gotten a Christmas Card as a piece of franked mail?

It doesn't bother me at all. Hell all the connies could whistle Merry Christmas out of their collective assholes for all I care........the Sun will begin it's long awaited return and bring the promise of spring.

The founders designed a system free of religion.

Pretnd they didnt but the facts are clear

No, TDM, you imbecile. They did not.

They designed a government where one's religious beliefs were not qualifications. 'No law respecting the establishment of a religion or the free exercise thereof' is simply NOT violated by allowing Congress-critters to put the phrase "merry Christmas" in a franked mailing.

Your stupidity remains astounding.

And the word "pretend" has TWO of that pesky letter "e" in it, you dipshit.

This^^

Seriously absurd.

I thought we were broke? Which of our elected officials thinks we can afford postage for Christmas cards in the first place???? Where is the outrage from the Republcians demanding to know how this will be paid for??

Hey nit wit, they aren't banning Christmas cards, they are saying you cannot use the greeting "Merry Christmas" in any mail.

Not just Merrry Xmas, but also Happy New Year, which would make it NOT a religious issue, but a financial one. They shouldn't be sending out holiday greetings on our dime. I figured fiscal conservatives would realize that, but apparently ODS is an intractable disease!

The founders would not have wanted the peoples money spent on a religious endevor.

Madison himself said it in that letter.

It was to protect BOTH church and state.

James Madison's Veto Messages by Gene Garman

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

------------------------------

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324

Why do you deny what the father of the constitution had to say on the matter?

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324

its the father of the constitution speaking you history challenged dolts.

You are the dolt, moron.

Giving a "grant" of "public land" to a church WOULD violate the precept that the government cannot establish any religion.

"Allowing" a Congress-critter to send a mailing (that he or she IS going to send one way or the other) that includes the phrase "Merry Christmas" would obviously NOT tend to establish a religion nor prohibit the free exercise of any religion.

You are so dense, lead is envious.

Lead is envious! :lol::badgrin::eusa_clap:

I thought we were broke? Which of our elected officials thinks we can afford postage for Christmas cards in the first place???? Where is the outrage from the Republcians demanding to know how this will be paid for??

Hey nit wit, they aren't banning Christmas cards, they are saying you cannot use the greeting "Merry Christmas" in any mail.

Not just Merrry Xmas, but also Happy New Year, which would make it NOT a religious issue, but a financial one. They shouldn't be sending out holiday greetings on our dime. I figured fiscal conservatives would realize that, but apparently ODS is an intractable disease!

Hello McFly?

They aren't talking about christmas crads. they are talking about any greeting. They won't allow a congressman to end a letter of business with a constituant with the words "Merry Christmas". Not paying to send christmas cards I agree with, but that isn't what's absurd.

June 3, 1811

Why do you deny what the father of the constitution had to say on the matter?

We know what he said, we deny that it says what you want it to.

They no more wanted the congress using public funds to support a particular religion then they wanted congress giving land to a particular religion.

The Father of our constitution said it very clearly in his own words.

They will shit all over Madison to reatain their historically failed ideas.

Hello McFly?

They aren't talking about christmas crads. they are talking about any greeting. They won't allow a congressman to end a letter of business with a constituant with the words "Merry Christmas". Not paying to send christmas cards I agree with, but that isn't what's absurd.

Do they actually open their mail and read it? How would they know? I think this is about the envelopes and what's written on them or pieces that are obviously Xmas cards.

The founders designed a system free of religion.

Pretnd they didnt but the facts are clear

You really don't know much about the Founders, do you?

The Founders designed a system where religion was Integral. That's why they protected it from government interference.

the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S.

June 3rd 1811

the father of the constitution, James Madison

We Heathens will take back our midwinter holiday from the Christians who have been taking it over for a while now.
Holiday...you mean Holy Day...right?

Holiday is a term derivitive of religious Holy Days...Times of reflection and Religious fervor...

and the word "bead" used to mean "prayer" and yet now there is no connection betwen the two.......

just like there is nothing religious about arbor day or columbus day.......

and the word "holy" used to mean "bringing health" and had no religious connotations at all.........
Bullshit arguement. 'Prayer beads' are an intrument of a practice.

Origin of the Word 'HOLIDAY':

holy day
: a day on which one is exempt from work; specifically: a day marked by a general suspension of work in commemoration of an event

chiefly British: vacation —often used in the phrase on holiday —often used in plural

: a period of exemption or relief <corporations enjoying a tax holiday>

.learners-link div.learners-link-content{ font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0 5px 0 22px;}.learners-link div.learners-link-content a .word{ text-decoration: none;}.learners-link div.learners-link-content a:hover .word{ color: #5358a9; text-decoration: underline;}#content .definition div.d .learners-link a,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:hover,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:link,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:visited{ color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none;} See holiday defined for English-language learners »

.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content{ font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0 5px 0 0;}.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a .word{ text-decoration: none;}.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a:hover .word{ color: #5358a9; text-decoration: underline;}#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:hover,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:link,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:visited{ color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none;}See holiday defined for kids »

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden{ display: none;}li.more-sent-link{ background: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link{ color: #717274; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text{ text-decoration: underline;}.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link,.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link{ display: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon{ padding-right: 2px;}Examples of HOLIDAY

1. July 4 is a national holiday in the U.S.
  2. The stock market is closed tomorrow because it's a holiday.
  3. She'll have four weeks' holiday next year.
  4. We're planning on taking a holiday in the Caribbean.

Origin of HOLIDAY

Middle English, from Old English h&#257;ligdæg, from h&#257;lig holy + dæg dayFirst Known Use: before 12th century

Merriam Webster disagrees with you...

Christmas is out too...wonder why?

Definition of CHRISTMAS

: a Christian feast on December 25 or among some Eastern Orthodox Christians on January 7 that commemorates the birth of Christ and is usually observed as a legal holiday

: christmastide

— Christ·mas·sy or Christ·masy \-m&#601;-s&#275;\adjective

.learners-link div.learners-link-content{ font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0 5px 0 22px;}.learners-link div.learners-link-content a .word{ text-decoration: none;}.learners-link div.learners-link-content a:hover .word{ color: #5358a9; text-decoration: underline;}#content .definition div.d .learners-link a,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:hover,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:link,#content .definition div.d .learners-link a:visited{ color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none;} See Christmas defined for English-language learners »

.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content{ font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0 5px 0 0;}.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a .word{ text-decoration: none;}.wcentral-link div.wcentral-link-content a:hover .word{ color: #5358a9; text-decoration: underline;}#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:hover,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:link,#content .definition div.d .wcentral-link a:visited{ color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none;}See Christmas defined for kids »

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden{ display: none;}li.more-sent-link{ background: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link{ color: #717274; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text{ text-decoration: underline;}.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link,.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link{ display: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon{ padding-right: 2px;}Examples of CHRISTMAS

1. We're spending Christmas with my parents.
  2. We had a very happy Christmas this year.
  3. I wish you all a merry Christmas.

Origin of CHRISTMAS

Middle English Christemasse, from Old English Cristes mæsse, literally, Christ's massFirst Known Use: before 12th century

You secular weenies have a tough time with things you know nothing about, and are quick to disparage since it makes you so damned uncomfy to admit there are larger powers than MAN...so you must really LOATHE the Founders...

Maybe Kwanzaa would be more appropo?

Yeah, go there!!! Any wonder we look askance whenever someone says the "T" party isn't racist? :cool:
Nothing Racist about it. Kwanzaa is a made up holiday to thwart traditions. Those that choose to follow it are perfectly free to persue it...we are after all a Free nation for the time being...I personally as an Individual choose NOT to persue but for my own beliefs.

Funny that...

;)

Forum List

Back