The Left's War Against Gentrification

You're forgetting that they know what's best for us all. Really, they do.

:doubt:

The anti-gentrification movements come from the people in the direct neighborhood complaining about other people coming in and changing their neighborhood.

Do you have even a modicum of understanding of the idea of private property rights?

The people in the neighborhood are free to do with THEIR property as they wish, as long as it doesn't infringe on other property rights. There is no right to an unchanging neighborhood comrade.

Their fear is that they will be pushed out because others have decided what is best for their community.

Bullshit. The only people that could possible attempt to decide what is right for others are the fucking central planners, like yourself. Private property owners can only decide what is best FOR THEIR PROPERTY.

Good God, enough of your Marxist nonsense!

Poor people don't really have property so they have no say in your world. It is their homes though and their communities though and when people start making decisions that will impact their lives and what little property they do own they will complain.

I am not really on their side but I find it ironic that you complained about other people making decisions for other people.

The anti-gentrification movements come from the people in the direct neighborhood complaining about other people coming in and changing their neighborhood.

Do you have even a modicum of understanding of the idea of private property rights?

The people in the neighborhood are free to do with THEIR property as they wish, as long as it doesn't infringe on other property rights. There is no right to an unchanging neighborhood comrade.

Their fear is that they will be pushed out because others have decided what is best for their community.

Bullshit. The only people that could possible attempt to decide what is right for others are the fucking central planners, like yourself. Private property owners can only decide what is best FOR THEIR PROPERTY.

Poor people don't really have property so they have no say in your world.

Wrong comrade. They have a lease on that property, which absolutely gives them a say...right there in black and white.

It is their homes though

To the extend granted in the voluntarily signed lease agreement, yes.

and their communities though

So communities only belong to poor people and not a less-than-poor person that happens to own property in that community?

Really?

and when people start making decisions that will impact their lives and what little property they do own they will complain.

If they're like you, I'm sure they will. Doesn't make it any less pathetic.

I am not really on their side but I find it ironic that you complained about other people making decisions for other people.

Then you don't understand what the word irony means.

No libertarian stands for allowing any adult to make non consensual decisions for another.

You are on confused mess there boy.

Wrong comrade. They have a lease on that property, which absolutely gives them a say...right there in black and white.

So communities only belong to poor people and not a less-than-poor person that happens to own property in that community?

Really?

and when people start making decisions that will impact their lives and what little property they do own they will complain.

No libertarian stands for allowing any adult to make non consensual decisions for another.

I suppose in a world where the only power that matters to you is the power that comes with property the poor people's wants are immaterial.

It is rather comical to watch you have complete double standards because one person is property poor.

Ohh well.

One more tale in which Liberals/Progressives blur the line between insanity and stupidity.

The plan by said Leftist group is to prevent neighborhood improvement....one more aspect of the war against growth, capitalism...and, yes.....progress.

1. "Trader Joe’s Pulls Out Of Poor Portland, Oregon Neighborhood: Defeat Of Gentrification?

2. Trader Joe’s, the privately held retail grocery chain, has cancelled plans to open a store in a poor neighborhood in the northeastern section of Portland, Ore., following “negative reactions” from the local community.

3. The Portland African American Leadership Forum (PAALF) objected to the proposed development partly because it feared that the new retail complex would eventually push up rental prices in the area and drive out the local black community.

4. ....now that Trader Joe’s and Majestic have both backed out, municipal officials called the decision "a loss for the city” and particularly for Northeast Portland.

5. ....PAALF said .... the plan to open a Trader Joe’s was “just the latest in this long history” of businesses and political leaders driving out black people in the name of economic progress in Portland..... “This is a people’s movement for African-Americans ....

6. ....the NAACP’s senior director of economic programs, condemned the Trader Joe’s project as a new kind of “gentrification.”

7. ....neighborhood residents said they were looking forward to Trader Joe’s opening and resented the PAALF’s stance. “All of my neighbors were excited to have Trader Joe’s come here and replace a lot that has always been empty,” said Nghi Tran. “It’s good quality for poor men.” (The property has been vacant for 20 years.) Tran, who has lived in the neighborhood for 15 years, blasted the PAALF, noting, “They don’t come to the neighborhood clean-ups.

8. “There are no winners today,” .... “Only missed tax revenue, lost jobs, less foot traffic, an empty lot and a boulevard still struggling to support its local small businesses.”.... “Was there a vote? This should be re-evaluated. This is not what the neighborhood people want. This is terrible.”

9. ...said Trader Joe’s would have revitalized the neighborhood. “I moved here when there were gunshots out the window,” ....they can’t stand up and say, ‘As residents of the… neighborhood, this is what we want.’ The residents of the… neighborhood want this to happen.”

10. ...unemployment among the city’s black population has generally run twice as high as rates for whites and Asians."
Trader Joe?s Pulls Out Of Poor Portland, Oregon Neighborhood: Defeat Of Gentrification?

Can you see another Detroit in the making?

As much as I support programs to help the Black community, they all too often do the most bone headed things. The reason Detroit went to shit is because too many Black leaders really believed they could have a viable community without any white money.

Really?

I suppose in a world where the only power that matters to you is the power that comes with property the poor people's wants are immaterial.

Once again, you suppose incorrectly.

It is rather comical to watch you have complete double standards because one person is property poor.

Ohh well.

A double standard which you have not, and cannot, point to.

My goodness, I think you're the most ignorant poster around here in a while. And that my friend is saying something! :eek:

Forum List

Back