The Left's War Against Gentrification

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
One more tale in which Liberals/Progressives blur the line between insanity and stupidity.

The plan by said Leftist group is to prevent neighborhood improvement....one more aspect of the war against growth, capitalism...and, yes.....progress.

1. "Trader Joe’s Pulls Out Of Poor Portland, Oregon Neighborhood: Defeat Of Gentrification?

2. Trader Joe’s, the privately held retail grocery chain, has cancelled plans to open a store in a poor neighborhood in the northeastern section of Portland, Ore., following “negative reactions” from the local community.

3. The Portland African American Leadership Forum (PAALF) objected to the proposed development partly because it feared that the new retail complex would eventually push up rental prices in the area and drive out the local black community.

4. ....now that Trader Joe’s and Majestic have both backed out, municipal officials called the decision "a loss for the city” and particularly for Northeast Portland.

5. ....PAALF said .... the plan to open a Trader Joe’s was “just the latest in this long history” of businesses and political leaders driving out black people in the name of economic progress in Portland..... “This is a people’s movement for African-Americans ....

6. ....the NAACP’s senior director of economic programs, condemned the Trader Joe’s project as a new kind of “gentrification.”

7. ....neighborhood residents said they were looking forward to Trader Joe’s opening and resented the PAALF’s stance. “All of my neighbors were excited to have Trader Joe’s come here and replace a lot that has always been empty,” said Nghi Tran. “It’s good quality for poor men.” (The property has been vacant for 20 years.) Tran, who has lived in the neighborhood for 15 years, blasted the PAALF, noting, “They don’t come to the neighborhood clean-ups.

8. “There are no winners today,” .... “Only missed tax revenue, lost jobs, less foot traffic, an empty lot and a boulevard still struggling to support its local small businesses.”.... “Was there a vote? This should be re-evaluated. This is not what the neighborhood people want. This is terrible.”

9. ...said Trader Joe’s would have revitalized the neighborhood. “I moved here when there were gunshots out the window,” ....they can’t stand up and say, ‘As residents of the… neighborhood, this is what we want.’ The residents of the… neighborhood want this to happen.”

10. ...unemployment among the city’s black population has generally run twice as high as rates for whites and Asians."
Trader Joe?s Pulls Out Of Poor Portland, Oregon Neighborhood: Defeat Of Gentrification?

Can you see another Detroit in the making?

I sort of like Trader Joes in Philly, though I prefer whole foods on the whole (pun intended.)

I can't see it in the ghetto, but does Portland have a ghetto? I think Portland and I envision multi-ethnic hippies smoking weed and hyping microbrews.

I sort of like Trader Joes in Philly, though I prefer whole foods on the whole (pun intended.)

I can't see it in the ghetto, but does Portland have a ghetto? I think Portland and I envision multi-ethnic hippies smoking weed and hyping microbrews.

Lots of homeless people, they're everywhere in Portland. Portland doesn't have ghettos in the sense of LA or Chicago ghettos.

Something that annoyed me a little bit about Portland, I must say, is finding a "normal" store like wal-mart or target or something, you have to drive like 20-30 minutes out of town to get to one!

I understand your attempt to keep it light....but the most serious aspect is that there are those who attempt to engage the Left in debate as though they have any argument, any point that they can defend.

No...they'd argue with a stop sign.

The claim that they'd like to better the community, benefit the residents....but fight to maintain the status quo.

The Left and their supporters should simply get a pat on the head...and be ignored.

I understand your attempt to keep it light....but the most serious aspect is that there are those who attempt to engage the Left in debate as though they have any argument, and point that they can defend.

No...they'd argue with a stop sign.

The claim that they'd like to better the community, benefit the residents....but fight to maintain the status quo.

The Left and their supporters should simply get a pat on the head...and be ignored.

Well, it's not so much light. I lived through the gentrification of some latino neighborhoods in Denver, and there was some tension, though a city can ameloriate things by helping people who own houses paint and do some basic repair. And, making a profit selling a house in not the worst thing in the world.

Where I live now, I used to take a pistol with me to serve a subpoena. There are grocery stores trying to move back in, and provide decent produce and such ... but Trader Joe's? I'm getting a care package ready for my college freshman with basic stuff. I mean Trader Joes is definitely on the ecletic side of groceries.

There is no doubt, however, that some pols who play on the victims have an interest in preventing econ growth.

Can you see another Detroit in the making?

For this part...definitely no. Portland's economy is booming in many areas, especially the software industry and also filming and entertainment media. Industry isn't pulling out and the African American population is like 6% of the city's population. Asians and Hispanics both make up a larger share of the city's demographics then African Americans.

On top of this, "Keep Portland Weird" is a common theme throughout the entire city. They don't like big stores in the city's inner parts, or even the closer suburbs really.

The plan by said Leftist group is to prevent neighborhood improvement

You're forgetting that they know what's best for us all. Really, they do.

:doubt:

The anti-gentrification movements come from the people in the direct neighborhood complaining about other people coming in and changing their neighborhood. Their fear is that they will be pushed out because others have decided what is best for their community.

The anti-gentrification movements come from the people in the direct neighborhood complaining about other people coming in and changing their neighborhood. Their fear is that they will be pushed out because others have decided what is best for their community.

yeah, no offense to the OP, but I think I'm safe in assuming the Portland Development Authority that was pushing Trader Joes in the location are of the political persuasion she'd call 'left."

It seems more like some african american whiners, who don't even represent 25% of the area's residents jumped up and down demanding "low income housing" as a payoff for shutting up, and Trader Joes just said "ef it." They've got at least three Portland stores already,.

Trader Joe?s Pulls Out Of Poor Portland, Oregon Neighborhood: Defeat Of Gentrification?

The OP article specifically says the opposite.

The OP article specifically says the opposite.

True, but you seem to be equating "left" with an elite african american group that claims to be representing "the people" when in fact only 25% of the neighborhood is still black. I suppose "left" could refer to racial bigots who hold up corporations for racial extortoion, like the Two Revs, but the flip would be using Right for anti-abortion people who want rape victims to be forced to term.

This is a local issue, and any so-called "conservatives" ought to applaud Portland's right to do what's best for Portland.

I am a Capitalist, but you would have to be blind to ignore the destruction of local flavor throughout the US by gentrification. In this case it sounds totally racist (on the part of the Black supporters), but I say give to Portland, what is Portland's.

This is a local issue, and any so-called "conservatives" ought to applaud Portland's right to do what's best for Portland.

I am a Capitalist, but you would have to be blind to ignore the destruction of local flavor throughout the US by gentrification. In this case it sounds totally racist (on the part of the Black supporters), but I say give to Portland, what is Portland's.

Well, I doubt what is best for Portland happened, but I applaud the city and Trader Joes for telling this "public group" to put it where the sun don't shine. It's too bad for the neighborhood though.

I suppose that is true, but not always. I own several rental properties in a poor neighborhood. A few years ago a developer wanted to acquire my properties along with several others to construct a new apartment complex. There was nothing redeeming about the 100+ year old properties to be torn down. Most were in terrible condition. Nearly the entire surrounding neighborhood consisted of low quality single and two family homes, most of which were rented by low income people and college students who only lived in the area for a short period of time.

Local neighborhood organizations, headed by do-gooder progressives, organized against the development and killed it, by forcing the city counsel to vote it down. So in conclusion, it was not the people living in the neighborhood that killed the development. It was leftist neighborhood organizations.

I think of Portland and all I think of is that dreadful, unwatchable show 'Portlandia' on IFC.

The anti-gentrification movements come from the people in the direct neighborhood complaining about other people coming in and changing their neighborhood.

Do you have even a modicum of understanding of the idea of private property rights?

The people in the neighborhood are free to do with THEIR property as they wish, as long as it doesn't infringe on other property rights. There is no right to an unchanging neighborhood comrade.

Their fear is that they will be pushed out because others have decided what is best for their community.

Bullshit. The only people that could possible attempt to decide what is right for others are the fucking central planners, like yourself. Private property owners can only decide what is best FOR THEIR PROPERTY.

Good God, enough of your Marxist nonsense!

Forum List

Back