The last space shuttle flight: Yeah..I am furious.

If you want to blame someone.....look around

Americans quickly lost interest in the Apollo program after Apollo 11. I can still name most of the Mercury/Gemini astronauts. They were like baseball stars to me. How many can name one astronaut today?

The shuttle was boring, a space truck. Other than Challenger and Columbia disasters, nobody cared. Send a teacher to space, send a Japanese/Muslim/Retired Senator-Astronaut...all gimmicks

We had rovers on Mars for two years.......Nobody cared
While that may be true for the other 48, being from Florida I don't see it that way.
Every launch I have seen still had cars lined up and down the highways, bridges and overpasses, beaches and piers.....co-workers and/or neighbors rushing outside to gaze NE just to catch a glimpse of it's unmistakable flame trail or timing it just right to be outside for that re-entry sonic boom!!
:cool:

I cared.
My family cared enough when we were down in Florida this past April, to reschedule our plans to be back in time to watch the shuttle launch. We were all so excited. Before leaving the water park we played most of the day, I checked in on my phone and saw the Breaking News email sitting in my inbox. The launch had been scrubbed. Needless to say, we were all disappointed. I've watched the launches and landings on TV and I think it would have been so cool to see a launch in person. Now I'll never get the chance. ( insert sad face here )
Rightwinger is just projecting his own apathy towards science that doesn't advance the leftist agenda.

Does this mean the Spy Stations are complete?
I wonder what we can expect from all of this going forward. I'm sure we have been kept in the very dark.

I don't much care about the SHUTTLE Program itself, but I share the feeling of frustration or annoyance or even anger which Sallow voices because of the ramping down of the NASA mission.

The U.S. Space Program was a highlight of our generation. The early days (going back to President Kennedy's pledge to get us to the moon and to return our space men safely to Earth) are particularly memorable.

As movies go, "The Right Stuff" had some flaws, but it generally captured the spirit of that national endeavor.

There is no reason that the private sector cannot move to the forefront at this juncture, but even so, the notion that the United States of America is not going to keep its hand in manned space flight is an embarrassment and a symptom, I fear, of deeper problems we have as a nation.

I don't expect President Obama to bust a move now, especially given the major financial problems presently being (more or less) "addressed." But it wouldn't break my heart if we made a decision to take the next step in manned space flight. I say it's a mistake not to keep our hand in it.

The private sector could pull it off

1. Sell seats on the Mission to Mars to the highest bidder
2. Pay per view only to watch the Mars landing
3. Reality TV show on the astronauts, their wives and bratty kids
4. Sell Mars Rocks on Home Shopping TV
5. Billboards and product placements
5. Naming rights for Mars cities

There is money to be made. I'm surprised private investment hasn't jumped all over this

:lol:

I dont think those could generate enough money to fund a Mars Mission. Remember exploration in the age of sail was funded by the search for better routes to the east, which was the source of spice, silk, and other items. The economic drive allowed for exploration to be funded, because it was thought a shorter route would be more profitable.

Right now the reasources in space are not worth the effort to get to them. The real worth comes from the general pushing of scientifc discovery a project of this size generates.

Unfortunately the tangible benefits of this cannot be translated to an economic reason to invest in a Mars mission by a private group. The Return isn't there.

Space exploration, by which I mean cutting edge space exploration, is best controlled by the government. If we want to turn over satillite launches, and other earth orbit tasks to private industry I don't see an issue with that.

Agreed 100%

Does this mean the Spy Stations are complete?
I wonder what we can expect from all of this going forward. I'm sure we have been kept in the very dark.

A friend of mine actually worked on a documentary on this very topic.

Really interesting.

What if we were to invest the US scientific might into energy exploration vs space exploration?

What are the potential economic benefits of exploring new energy frontiers vs new space frontiers?

In general energy research doesn't add to the economy. If fusion is finally harnessed that would have a dramatic economic effect. If someone were to develop Tesla's ideas about a global power grid using the magnetic lines of force as the wires, that would have a dramatic effect.

Solar, wind, and all of the other "green" energy lines of research are at best place holders, they don't add to the economy because they aren't efficient enough. So far they are all net losers. That's why T. Boone Pickens abandoned wind power, even with massive government subsidies it's still a loser in the long run. Now if the government goes ahead and outlaws fossil fuels in an endeavor to push the green agenda, after the revolution and collapse of the US our next rulers will hopefully be more aware of the false promises of the green revolution.

Space exploration on the other hand has dramatic effects on the economy. Within two years of a major technological advancement it usually shows up in the regular economy in some way.

We really don't know where the next energy frontier is. That is why we need a Manhattan Project/Apollo Program to find it. I agree that Solar and Wind are not the answer. We also know that fossil fuels is not the long term solution. Maybe hydrogen, biofuels, geothermal. We also need to advance our battery technology.

My only point was that as sexy as space exploration may be, you don't get the bang for the buck you get from exploring earth bound challenges

What if we were to invest the US scientific might into energy exploration vs space exploration?

What are the potential economic benefits of exploring new energy frontiers vs new space frontiers?

In general energy research doesn't add to the economy. If fusion is finally harnessed that would have a dramatic economic effect. If someone were to develop Tesla's ideas about a global power grid using the magnetic lines of force as the wires, that would have a dramatic effect.

Solar, wind, and all of the other "green" energy lines of research are at best place holders, they don't add to the economy because they aren't efficient enough. So far they are all net losers. That's why T. Boone Pickens abandoned wind power, even with massive government subsidies it's still a loser in the long run. Now if the government goes ahead and outlaws fossil fuels in an endeavor to push the green agenda, after the revolution and collapse of the US our next rulers will hopefully be more aware of the false promises of the green revolution.

Space exploration on the other hand has dramatic effects on the economy. Within two years of a major technological advancement it usually shows up in the regular economy in some way.

We really don't know where the next energy frontier is. That is why we need a Manhattan Project/Apollo Program to find it. I agree that Solar and Wind are not the answer. We also know that fossil fuels is not the long term solution. Maybe hydrogen, biofuels, geothermal. We also need to advance our battery technology.

My only point was that as sexy as space exploration may be, you don't get the bang for the buck you get from exploring earth bound challenges

The best chance for us to get off fossil fuels is fusion. I know its always been "30 years away" but they have been making progress in sustaining the reaction.

With fusion you get cheaper electricity, which allows for things like hydrogen as a portable fuel source. Biofuels to me are too gimmicky and require too much land to produce.

Geothermal is like hyro power, too limited in location to be widespread.

How spaceflight sparks spinoffs - Technology & science - Space - msnbc.com

Technology Spin-offs - The Space Race

NASA Spinoffs - Inventions Benefiting Our Daily Lives - Apollo Spinoff Inventions

Gallery: Tech Designed for the Space Shuttle That We All Can Enjoy | Popular Science

You think it's hard for you to watch, imagine a place that has worked on every flight, from training of the astronauts to the direction and control of every launch and recovery, a place that is home to most of the former astronauts and their families along with the widows of those whose lives were lost.......... imagine that the people in charge have decided not to give one of the few remaining shuttles to the museum that has displays of all of the many rockets that have been launched from Cape Canaveral. Instead they have decide to put one a mere 200 miles from another at our nations capital and National Air and Space museum, they've decided to place it in a waterfront setting next to an aircraft carrier in fucking New York City where some asshole gang shit will probably graffiti al over it......... that is a reason to be seriously pissed. Fuck that asswipe Obama, fuck Charles F. Bolden Jr, the guy he put in charge NASA (because he is black, obviously) and FUCK New York City!

Well up until your last bit..I would have agreed with you.

And as for "graffiti", be sure to visit the Interpid next time you are in town.

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum | New York City

Pretty awesome.

No Graffiti.

Shit Yeah! ;)

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3670-img-3762-01.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3669-img-3754-00.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3671-img-4109-01.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3672-img-4169-01.jpg

Totally and proveably untrue. There are over 1,400 documented inventions from the space program that directly impact your life every single minute of every single day. All aspects of human endeavor have been affected, and I mean all. The only thing that gave as much bang for your buck inventions wise is war, and the space program is far less deadly than that.

I hear there are rich people on Mars who pay no income tax! ZOMG!!! Progressives to the spaceships!

You think it's hard for you to watch, imagine a place that has worked on every flight, from training of the astronauts to the direction and control of every launch and recovery, a place that is home to most of the former astronauts and their families along with the widows of those whose lives were lost.......... imagine that the people in charge have decided not to give one of the few remaining shuttles to the museum that has displays of all of the many rockets that have been launched from Cape Canaveral. Instead they have decide to put one a mere 200 miles from another at our nations capital and National Air and Space museum, they've decided to place it in a waterfront setting next to an aircraft carrier in fucking New York City where some asshole gang shit will probably graffiti al over it......... that is a reason to be seriously pissed. Fuck that asswipe Obama, fuck Charles F. Bolden Jr, the guy he put in charge NASA (because he is black, obviously) and FUCK New York City!

Well up until your last bit..I would have agreed with you.

And as for "graffiti", be sure to visit the Interpid next time you are in town.

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum | New York City

Pretty awesome.

No Graffiti.

Shit Yeah! ;)

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3670-img-3762-01.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3669-img-3754-00.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3671-img-4109-01.jpg

intense-albums-intrepid-picture3672-img-4169-01.jpg

Well I knew I had a good reason for liking you..:razz:

If I remember correctly, Bush II killed the shuttle program in his second term. About the time he realized his spending was creating a huge problem.

It would take ten years to get a new shuttle off the ground. It is not the most efficient way to get payloads into space

If I remember correctly, Bush II killed the shuttle program in his second term. About the time he realized his spending was creating a huge problem.

It would take ten years to get a new shuttle off the ground. It is not the most efficient way to get payloads into space

The shuttle was a proof of concept. That you could build a spacecraft that was reusable. The major problem is that it was never improved upon.

There's things I'd rather we didn't spend a penny on and there's things I'd rather not let it be known that I'm glad we spend money on.

NASA is something that we should put money into. Not just for shuttles, from what I have heard, they are being replaced.

But for me it's Hubble.

sure it's outdated and scienctist have a need to use radio scopes, but the pictures that came from it were just awe inspiring. The clincher for me was when they focused on deep space and took a pic of millions of galaxies that just kept going and going.

Funding was cut and it was aimed at the ocean. what a shitty thing to do.

Forum List

Back