The last space shuttle flight: Yeah..I am furious.

Well, at least NASA is more Muslim friendly.

So that makes 2 Big Science Projects the Dems killed: The Space Shuttle and the Superconducting Supercollider.

Nice work, fellas!

They probably have more Muslim scientists than Republican scientists. Except in Iran and Afghanistan, is there any political party less friendly to science than Republicans?

As I Republican, I am not hostile to science, I have a MS in ChemE. What I am hostile to is the use of science to further a poltical agenda, espeically when said branch of science treats itself almost as dogma, and consigns its critics to heresy.

It's easy to make such a charge without examples. Of course, if the purpose is to suggest "evolution" is unprovable, then it's misguided. The only "theory" that has zero examples and no data is the "theory of magical being here".

They probably have more Muslim scientists than Republican scientists. Except in Iran and Afghanistan, is there any political party less friendly to science than Republicans?

As I Republican, I am not hostile to science, I have a MS in ChemE. What I am hostile to is the use of science to further a poltical agenda, espeically when said branch of science treats itself almost as dogma, and consigns its critics to heresy.

It's easy to make such a charge without examples. Of course, if the purpose is to suggest "evolution" is unprovable, then it's misguided. The only "theory" that has zero examples and no data is the "theory of magical being here".

I'm Catholic, we had evolution taught in Science class, and Genesis in Religon Class (catholic school). Catholics dont take the first few parts of the bible as pure fact.

My point was more towards global warming. It seems to be the only theory in science that has become an economic agenda, as well as having the dogmatic traits I stated above.

We don't have the budget to take care of our own people, how can we do both? It would cost close to a trillion dollars to go to Mars. What kind of energy breakthroughs could we achieve with a trillion dollars?

What economic benefits would we get from exploring Mars? We would get bragging rights, some neat pictures and some rocks to show off in museums.

What would be the economic benefits of developing the next energy breakthrough? It would be immeasurable.

Maybe the energy breakthroughs the SSC would have found...oopsies

Go ahead and fund it....Republicans control the House

I must have missed that line item in the Ryan budget

Why did Democrats kill it?

If you want to blame someone.....look around

Americans quickly lost interest in the Apollo program after Apollo 11. I can still name most of the Mercury/Gemini astronauts. They were like baseball stars to me. How many can name one astronaut today?

The shuttle was boring, a space truck. Other than Challenger and Columbia disasters, nobody cared. Send a teacher to space, send a Japanese/Muslim/Retired Senator-Astronaut...all gimmicks

We had rovers on Mars for two years.......Nobody cared

Scott Carpenter. My son wrote him a fan letter last month. :)

I'm twenty six. I love space. Space exploration, I think, is probably one of the greatest tools a classroom has ever had. I'm a teacher and I go bonkers when we get to that part of history class. *sigh*

One of those teachers picked to be sent to space (as a backup) actually went - she fell in love with the program and became a real astronaut.

Dean, why did Dems kill the Space Shuttle and the SSC?

Americans quickly lost interest in the Apollo program after Apollo 11. I can still name most of the Mercury/Gemini astronauts. They were like baseball stars to me. How many can name one astronaut today?

The shuttle was boring, a space truck. Other than Challenger and Columbia disasters, nobody cared. Send a teacher to space, send a Japanese/Muslim/Retired Senator-Astronaut...all gimmicks

I'm twenty six. I love space. Space exploration, I think, is probably one of the greatest tools a classroom has ever had. I'm a teacher and I go bonkers when we get to that part of history class. *sigh*

One of those teachers picked to be sent to space (as a backup) actually went - she fell in love with the program and became a real astronaut.

Carpenter was a Mercury astronaut. He only flew once at the end of the program

I always liked Gene Cernan: last man to set foot on the moon

I appreciate S. Carpenter for his other contributions to science (both above and below land). He is more than an astronaut or a pilot - he's a scientist.

And I live in Colorado, so yanno, gotta support our own. :D

My son (six and a half) never wanted to be an astronaut. He prefers to be the guy who designs the ship that doesn't disintegrate when re-entering the atmosphere. :cool:

Really, though, I wish NASA was in our classrooms the way it was when I was a kid. I'm young, but it seems to have changed so much. :(

I appreciate S. Carpenter for his other contributions to science (both above and below land). He is more than an astronaut or a pilot - he's a scientist.

And I live in Colorado, so yanno, gotta support our own. :D

My son (six and a half) never wanted to be an astronaut. He prefers to be the guy who designs the ship that doesn't disintegrate when re-entering the atmosphere. :cool:

Really, though, I wish NASA was in our classrooms the way it was when I was a kid. I'm young, but it seems to have changed so much. :(

I do not think much NASA stuff is on the NCLB achievement test.

There is no NCLB achievement test.

I promise you, kids are more excited about science when you teach it alongside the space program. My son's understanding of physics far exceeds that of a fifth grader because I've taken the time to explain some of the 'cool space stuff'.

Why can't the private sector fund a Mars mission? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?
Why can't the private sector fund professional third-generation welfare cheats? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

Why can't the private sector fund Democrat voter registration drives? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

Why can't the private sector fund union cronyism? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

Let me guess: That's different. Somehow. It just is.

Why can't the private sector fund a Mars mission? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?
Why can't the private sector fund professional third-generation welfare cheats? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

Why can't the private sector fund Democrat voter registration drives? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

Why can't the private sector fund union cronyism? Why does that have to fall on the tax payers?

The private sector could pull it off

1. Sell seats on the Mission to Mars to the highest bidder
2. Pay per view only to watch the Mars landing
3. Reality TV show on the astronauts, their wives and bratty kids
4. Sell Mars Rocks on Home Shopping TV
5. Billboards and product placements
5. Naming rights for Mars cities

There is money to be made. I'm surprised private investment hasn't jumped all over this

There is money to be made. I'm surprised private investment hasn't jumped all over this

:lol:

Does this country lose more money to welfare cheats or tax cheats?

Care to take a guess?

:lol:

I dont think those could generate enough money to fund a Mars Mission. Remember exploration in the age of sail was funded by the search for better routes to the east, which was the source of spice, silk, and other items. The economic drive allowed for exploration to be funded, because it was thought a shorter route would be more profitable.

Right now the reasources in space are not worth the effort to get to them. The real worth comes from the general pushing of scientifc discovery a project of this size generates.

Unfortunately the tangible benefits of this cannot be translated to an economic reason to invest in a Mars mission by a private group. The Return isn't there.

Space exploration, by which I mean cutting edge space exploration, is best controlled by the government. If we want to turn over satillite launches, and other earth orbit tasks to private industry I don't see an issue with that.

They will. They're working on getting to LEO now...and making remarkable progress.

What if we were to invest the US scientific might into energy exploration vs space exploration?

What are the potential economic benefits of exploring new energy frontiers vs new space frontiers?

In general energy research doesn't add to the economy. If fusion is finally harnessed that would have a dramatic economic effect. If someone were to develop Tesla's ideas about a global power grid using the magnetic lines of force as the wires, that would have a dramatic effect.

Solar, wind, and all of the other "green" energy lines of research are at best place holders, they don't add to the economy because they aren't efficient enough. So far they are all net losers. That's why T. Boone Pickens abandoned wind power, even with massive government subsidies it's still a loser in the long run. Now if the government goes ahead and outlaws fossil fuels in an endeavor to push the green agenda, after the revolution and collapse of the US our next rulers will hopefully be more aware of the false promises of the green revolution.

Space exploration on the other hand has dramatic effects on the economy. Within two years of a major technological advancement it usually shows up in the regular economy in some way.

What if we were to invest the US scientific might into energy exploration vs space exploration?

What are the potential economic benefits of exploring new energy frontiers vs new space frontiers?

There's no reason we can't do both. None.

We really have to get out of the war making business. It's disgusting.

I agree on the war making but the nation doesn't have enough money as it currently sits to do both. As is being demonstrated right now.

While that may be true for the other 48, being from Florida I don't see it that way.
Every launch I have seen still had cars lined up and down the highways, bridges and overpasses, beaches and piers.....co-workers and/or neighbors rushing outside to gaze NE just to catch a glimpse of it's unmistakable flame trail or timing it just right to be outside for that re-entry sonic boom!!
:cool:

I cared.
My family cared enough when we were down in Florida this past April, to reschedule our plans to be back in time to watch the shuttle launch. We were all so excited. Before leaving the water park we played most of the day, I checked in on my phone and saw the Breaking News email sitting in my inbox. The launch had been scrubbed. Needless to say, we were all disappointed. I've watched the launches and landings on TV and I think it would have been so cool to see a launch in person. Now I'll never get the chance. ( insert sad face here )

Last edited:

Forum List

Back