The Joys of Communism

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Theodore Dalrymple describes his shopping in Pyongyang in 1991. This is the all caring government taking care of you:

I also followed a few people around at random, as discreetly as I could. Some were occupied in ceaselessly going up and down the escalators; others wandered from counter to counter, spending a few minutes at each before moving on. They did not inspect the merchandise; they moved as listlessly as illiterates might, condemned to spend the day among the shelves of a library. I did not know whether to laugh or explode with anger or weep. But I knew I was seeing one of the most extraordinary sights of the twentieth century.

I decided to buy something – a fountain pen. I went to the counter where pens were displayed like the fan of a peacock’s tail. They were no more for sale than the Eiffel Tower. As I handed over my money, a crowd gathered round, for once showing signs of animation. I knew, of course, that I could not be refused: if I were, the game would be given away completely. And so the crowd watched goggle-eyed and disbelieving as this astonishing transaction took place: I gave the assistant a piece of paper and she gave me a pen.

The pen, as it transpired, was of the very worst quality. Its rubber for the ink was so thin that it would have perished immediately on contact with ink. The metal plunger was already rusted; the plastic casing was so brittle that the slightest pressure cracked it. And the box in which it came was of absorbent cardboard, through whose fibres the ink of the printing ran like capillaries on the cheeks of a drunk.

At just before four o’clock, on two occasions, I witnessed the payment of the shoppers. An enormous queue formed at the cosmetics and toiletries counter and there everyone, man and woman, received the same little palette of rouge, despite the great variety of goods on display. Many of them walked away somewhat bemused, examining the rouge uncomprehendingly. At another counter I saw a similar queue receiving a pair of socks, all brown like the plastic bowls. The socks, however, were for keeps. After payment, a new shift of Potemkin shoppers arrived.

Theodore Dalrymple describes his shopping in Pyongyang in 1991. This is the all caring government taking care of you:

I also followed a few people around at random, as discreetly as I could. Some were occupied in ceaselessly going up and down the escalators; others wandered from counter to counter, spending a few minutes at each before moving on. They did not inspect the merchandise; they moved as listlessly as illiterates might, condemned to spend the day among the shelves of a library. I did not know whether to laugh or explode with anger or weep. But I knew I was seeing one of the most extraordinary sights of the twentieth century.

I decided to buy something – a fountain pen. I went to the counter where pens were displayed like the fan of a peacock’s tail. They were no more for sale than the Eiffel Tower. As I handed over my money, a crowd gathered round, for once showing signs of animation. I knew, of course, that I could not be refused: if I were, the game would be given away completely. And so the crowd watched goggle-eyed and disbelieving as this astonishing transaction took place: I gave the assistant a piece of paper and she gave me a pen.

The pen, as it transpired, was of the very worst quality. Its rubber for the ink was so thin that it would have perished immediately on contact with ink. The metal plunger was already rusted; the plastic casing was so brittle that the slightest pressure cracked it. And the box in which it came was of absorbent cardboard, through whose fibres the ink of the printing ran like capillaries on the cheeks of a drunk.

At just before four o’clock, on two occasions, I witnessed the payment of the shoppers. An enormous queue formed at the cosmetics and toiletries counter and there everyone, man and woman, received the same little palette of rouge, despite the great variety of goods on display. Many of them walked away somewhat bemused, examining the rouge uncomprehendingly. At another counter I saw a similar queue receiving a pair of socks, all brown like the plastic bowls. The socks, however, were for keeps. After payment, a new shift of Potemkin shoppers arrived.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I have not been out of the country since the mid 90s, and never traveled inside a communist country, only to the border. I do wonder how much of that is true even today.

I'm calling bullshit on the story-
What's you guess, never happened or 12 years or more before the 1989 date. I honestly do not know, but it describes something I might have read about in high school or before, when I was developing my anti-communists viewpoint, a very long time ago. I do not actually take my negative view on communism out and look at it for validity as I do not feel any need for the intellectual exercise. Though I am asking your honest opinion.

Of course you do. Communism can’t be that bad!

Why haven’t you been in Commie countries like I have?
Been 30 minutes since my question. Not sure he will answer you either, OP.
Well I have and I hoisted the BS flag too. Not that I'm any fan of commie assholes.
From another visitor, almost identical story.

Been 30 minutes since my question. Not sure he will answer you either, OP.
Well I have and I hoisted the BS flag too. Not that I'm any fan of commie assholes.
Cool. what's your take, totally contrived playing to the didactic anti-communists, dated even farther back, other?

North Korea is a completely different kind of society than, say, Vietnam or China. I lived in China for eight years, have a granddaughter there, traveled all over. Today China is a consumer society where you can buy just about anything, have tremendous choice of brands, and buy over the internet or at stores. Many people pay for items without cash or a credit card — they just swipe their phones. Of course the average per capital standard of living is still maybe only a quarter or a third of what it is here in the U.S., but real wages there are rising steadily, or at least were until Covid-19 struck.

Fountain pens in 1989? Wtf?!

I got hooked on Paper Mate fine point

BALL POINT pens in like 1979.

Wasn't "Pour Some Sugar on Me" in 1989?

North Korea is a completely different kind of society than, say, Vietnam or China. I lived in China for eight years, have a granddaughter there, traveled all over. Today China is a consumer society where you can buy just about anything, have tremendous choice of brands, and buy over the internet or at stores. Many people pay for items without cash or a credit card — they just swipe their phones. Of course the average per capital standard of living is still maybe only a quarter or a third of what it is here in the U.S., but real wages there are rising steadily, or at least were until Covid-19 struck.
That cashless thing is not good.
I did a $450 job..she wanted to pay with a card. The guy that works with me did some q-code stuff and yeah..he made it happen.

But damn, wtf?!

SiBhRm9z.jpeg

1988 even! I love how they kept the drummer after after losing his arm, that's some real bros there!
His 1 arm didn't stop this song from being #1

Hoo-wee! I love these UK boys here!

but it describes something I might have read about in high school or before,
Is not validation.

It takes many somethings to form an accurate conclusion.
It's a propaganda hit piece- Orientals, in my observation, are a very industrious lot.
In places outside the US bartering is a way of life so to form a conclusion from one persons obviously biased account is not allowing yourself to see what is really available to see.
People are people. Governments develop enemies and exploit their own people to foment discord.
That is a fact and the US gov't is not above the exploiting- I'm old enough to remember the original communist scare- which came into existence in the early 50's after Eisenhower appointed Allen Dulles to head of the CIA- all of a sudden the communist were a threat and were everywhere- hell, Ike and Stalin were buddy's. They had recently helped each other kick Germany's butt- Ike's farewell speech foretold where we were headed (and have arrived), driven by the MIC which requires overt and covert action and money to sustain itself- it's a parasitical organism feeding off of its own, not much different than communism except USA based and paid for by *voluntarily* extorted user fees called taxes- the parallels are mainly a centrally controlled economy.

The US's centrally controlled economy is done so by a Private Bank (the federal reserve) that is sustained by Public Funding and enFORCEd with the threat of property loss, incarceration or death at the hands of Publicly funded US employees, the IRS.

Here's a different perspective on Communist China The Communist Party of China and the Idea of `Evil’

I'm not in any way, shape, fashion or form advocating a communist gov't- I'm simply pointing out the story is bull shit- it's exploiting a known concern and is easily debunked.

Why don't you try using your head for something besides holding your ears apart?
You have NO idea of where I have or haven't been- insulting yourself in public may seem funny to an out of work comedian but to one who sees the Truth- it ain't funny.

Let's address your STUPID- just for shits and giggles, since you like trying to be funny-

Can you point out where I said communism wasn't that bad? Come on, point it out.

I said, "I call bullshit on the story". Period. I stand by that assertion and YOU, nor any other shallow, narrow minded fool can prove me incorrect-
You peoples deep seeded need to be right is scary- especially since you're wrong on so many levels.
Narrow minds are a terrible thing to waste- but you don't have to worry you're doing a bang up job.

Forum List

Back