The Irishman

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
This film is a thirty-minute speculation about the fate of the late Jimmy Hoffa condensed into...Three hours and twenty-nine minutes of boring, pointless, and at-times-grossly violent cinema.

The movie constituted a strong argument in favor of the violent felonious killing of not only Hoffa, but everyone around him. Most got their just desserts.

There are those movie fans who will appreciate the performances by DeNiro, Pesci, "Everybody-Loves" Ray Romano, Harvey Keitel, and others, but not because those performances are particularly good - they might just like seeing them on the screen again.

Don't waste your money or time. The trailer, by itself, gives you all the enjoyment one might derive from viewing the entire two hundred and nine endless minutes.

Wife was interested....

Until she saw how long it was.

This film is a thirty-minute speculation about the fate of the late Jimmy Hoffa condensed into...Three hours and twenty-nine minutes of boring, pointless, and at-times-grossly violent cinema.

The movie constituted a strong argument in favor of the violent felonious killing of not only Hoffa, but everyone around him. Most got their just desserts.

There are those movie fans who will appreciate the performances by DeNiro, Pesci, "Everybody-Loves" Ray Romano, Harvey Keitel, and others, but not because those performances are particularly good - they might just like seeing them on the screen again.

Don't waste your money or time. The trailer, by itself, gives you all the enjoyment one might derive from viewing the entire two hundred and nine endless minutes.
Sounds track alone is worth it, decide for yourselves people.

Well, the background music was entertaining (though not poignant). I assume the soundtrack would be tolerable. Film sucked, though.

Watched it last night

I was going to watch it over two nights, but got into it and watched straight through

I had problems with DeNiro. He just doesn’t seem “Irish”. CGI attempts to make him look younger still makes him look old. DeNiro made his career on playing a young Vito Corleone in Godfather II. They should have gotten a younger actor to play younger Sheeran

As usual, Joe Pesci was just outstanding. Low keyed, but memorable

Pacino as Hoffa kind of growed on you as the movie progressed

Overall a good view of the 50s and 60s and the Mafia/Teamster relations

I watched this with my 37-year-old son. He had no idea how prominent Hoffa was (and how could he?).

Younger audiences need to be reminded that Hoffa was a MAJOR national figure FOR YEARS. I don't know of anyone else today - especially in the Labor movement - who gets as much Press as Hoffa got when he led the Teamsters union. He was a Big Deal.

I watched this with my 37-year-old son. He had no idea how prominent Hoffa was (and how could he?).

Younger audiences need to be reminded that Hoffa was a MAJOR national figure FOR YEARS. I don't know of anyone else today - especially in the Labor movement - who gets as much Press as Hoffa got when he led the Teamsters union. He was a Big Deal.

All younger people know about Hoffa is jokes about where he is buried
They know little about who he was

The movie lacked the charm of a Scorsese film. It was lacking in terms of dialogue and character development. The movie was remarkably simple and boring. Deniro playing a tough guy was comical. I wouldn’t see this movie again, and I’m a big Scorsese fan who watches all of his movies over and over again.

The CGI used to make the actors look different ages was obvious, and made the movie a little weird to watch.

Watched it last night

I was going to watch it over two nights, but got into it and watched straight through

I had problems with DeNiro. He just doesn’t seem “Irish”. CGI attempts to make him look younger still makes him look old. DeNiro made his career on playing a young Vito Corleone in Godfather II. They should have gotten a younger actor to play younger Sheeran

Pacino is in it? I haven’t seen him yet

Watched it last night

Here he is

Forum List

Back