The Irish... And Who Didn't 'Help' Them Succeed

Prove it.

Prove the labor movement did anything for the Irish. Prove it did anything for workers in general.

Outlawed child labor. That's one. Now you tell us why legal child labor is a good thing.

It's far preferable to the alternative, which was starvation.

Where is the mass starvation in America today?

in the 1800s, not having children work mean that millions of them would have starved. The only thing that made it possible to end child labor is the vast increase in productivity created by inventors and entrepreneurs.

Child labor was banned because children were being paid less.

You never cease to amaze. Now you want to bring back child labor. Should we get rid of age of consent laws too?

Oh wait, yes you support that.

Prove the labor movement did anything for the Irish. Prove it did anything for workers in general.

Outlawed child labor. That's one. Now you tell us why legal child labor is a good thing.

It's far preferable to the alternative, which was starvation.

Where is the mass starvation in America today?

in the 1800s, not having children work mean that millions of them would have starved. The only thing that made it possible to end child labor is the vast increase in productivity created by inventors and entrepreneurs.

Child labor was banned because children were being paid less.

You never cease to amaze. Now you want to bring back child labor. Should we get rid of age of consent laws too?

Oh wait, yes you support that.

It does't matter what the politicians who banned it claimed their motive was. The bottom line is that before our economy reached a certain level of productivity, children had to work or they would starve. Their parents simply couldn't earn enough to feed them.

Did I say I wanted to bring back child labor? The fact is, child labor is still here. Children work on farms all over America, and many of them work in the family business. In most of the world, child labor is still the norm. I don't see American leftists doing anything to end it.

One extremely large factor that the lying "chic" doesn't say is that the Irish were never held up the slavery standard.
Next!

Imagine....if only you could actually construct an articulate sentence in the English language!

Just imagine.

But....that would presume that you weren't a government school grad....and therefore wouldn't be a boilerplate Liberal.

And...by the way, I never lie. That's why you couldn't find any example of me doing so.

Your streak of being wrong about everything is unbroken.

Since you want no laws, slavery would become the right of anyone with the power to obtain and keep slaves.

What does that have to do with the issue under discussion?

What help did blacks get that the Irish didn't get during the peak times of Irish emigration to the US?

Welfare, Food Stamps, Affirmative Action, Scholarships and thousands of government programs designed specifically to help blacks.

Any questions?

None of that happened during the time I specified. More whites are on welfare and food stamps than blacks.

You cannot list a thousand programs exclusive to blacks.

That's right, the Irish never received any of those benefits. That's why they aren't wallowing in the ghetto stuck on the welfare plantation.

You're nit picking at minutiae.

Whether or not the Irish and other groups did or didn't receive any of those emoluments, they certainly weren't coddled in the way African-Americans have been, right down to the law being applied in special ways to this group by Liberals/Democrats who need their votes, the the following are true:

1. What we obtain too cheaply we esteem too lightly.
Thom. Paine

We respect what we actually work for, and earn.

2.‘Welfare’ as a wholly owned subsidiary of the government, and its main result is the incentivizing of a disrespect for oneself, and for the entity that provides the welfare. As more folks in a poor neighborhood languish with little or no work, entire local culture begins to change: daily work is no longer the expected social norm. Extended periods of hanging around the neighborhood, neither working nor going to school becoming more and more socially acceptable.
Peter Ferrara

3. Justice means choice. The choice must be by recourse and devotion to laws made impartially,without respect to individuals, and applied impartially.
David Mamet

Today, in consideration of Saint Patrick's Day, a look at the journey of the Irish in America.

The Irish were the first ethnic minority in American cities, and their history shows the classic pattern of new comers to the urban economy, and society. Starting at the very bottom of the urban occupational ladder, with the men as laborers and the woman as maids. Housing was far worse than urban slums today. Thomas Sowell, "Ethnic America," chapter one.

"The French sociologist, Gustave de Beaumont, visited Ireland in 1835 and wrote: "I have seen the Indian in his forests, and the Negro in his chains, and thought, as I contemplated their pitiable condition, that I saw the very extreme of human wretchedness; but I did not then know the condition of unfortunate Ireland...In all countries, more or less, paupers may be discovered; but an entire nation of paupers is what was never seen until it was shown in Ireland." Slaves in the United States had a greater life expectancy than peasants in Ireland." The West Awake: Barry Clifford: The Democide Of Ireland In The 1800's

1. I wonder if any saw the 2015 film "Black Mass," based on the 2001 book Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill. Pretty good flic....but couldn't show the depth of the corruption....
So I picked up a copy of Howie Carr's book, "The Brothers Bulger," same topic.

It is the story of arch criminal, serial killer, and gangland boss, 'Whitey' Bulger, and his brother, political boss, Billy Bulger, in Boston.

But, today being Saint Patrick's Day, this is not about Whitey...but about the Irish.
In the tale, Carr recounts a history of the journey of the Irish, fighting to succeed in a new land, and doing so on their own.
By that, I mean without the "help" of the Liberals, as that "help" was applied to African-Americans.

2. Ann Coulter writes: " It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived.

a. In fact, black Americans were doing better in individual pursuits than many immigrants. Barone compared their American journey to the Irish: “Both rise smartly in hierarchies (government bureaucracies, the military) but haven't fared as well in free-market commerce.” http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/941114/archive_013670.htm

3. As to the Bulgers: "Their father, James, was raised in Bosnon's North End, where many of the city's Irish immigrants initially settled,....the Bulgers were poor. As they grew up, all of them, even Whitey, would seek jobs with the government. The Bulgers distrusted all types of private enterprise, perhaps because of a railroad accident in which their father, a third-generation laborer, caught his arm between two boxcars and had to have it amputated.

A straw boss explained that a one-armed laborer was of no further use and fired him. The railroad calculated the wages due him- up to the time he had fallen, mangled, to the cinder bed- paid him, and forgot him.

James Bulger Sr.'s predicament was a common-enough predicament in those days. Many Irish politicians wee raised in homes where the father was either dead or maimed after an industrial accident.

At that time, there were no disability pensions, no workman's comp, no doles of any sort. Life insurance was for the wealthy. If you were unable to work, your family was consigned to a life of poverty."
Carr, Op. Cit.

a. "After the accident, the Bulgers drifted from one apartment to another in Dorchester until 1938, when they heard about a new public housing project in South Boston called Old Colony Harbor, the second such public housing project in the nation." Ibid.

4. "Permanent, federally funded housing came into being in the United States as a part of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. Title II, Section 202 of the National Industrial Recovery Act, passed June 16, 1933, directed the Public Works Administration (PWA) to develop a program for the "construction, reconstruction, alteration, or repair under public regulation or control of low-cost housing and slum-clearance projects...".

Led by the Housing Division of the PWA and headed by architect Robert Kohn, the initial, Limited-Dividend Program aimed to provide low-interest loans to public or private groups to fund the construction of low-income housing..... between 1934 and 1937 the Housing Division, now headed by Colonel Horatio B. Hackett, constructed fifty-two housing projects across the United States, as well as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Atlanta's Techwood Homes opened on 1 September 1936 and was the first of the fifty-two opened." Public housing in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poverty, the open animosity of earlier immigrants....."No Irish Need Apply".....

Sounds familiar.

So the Irish race is superior to the black race? Is that your point?

Or is it just whites in general who are superior to the black race?
I think its whites in general, we know how to get ID cards.

Today, in consideration of Saint Patrick's Day, a look at the journey of the Irish in America.

The Irish were the first ethnic minority in American cities, and their history shows the classic pattern of new comers to the urban economy, and society. Starting at the very bottom of the urban occupational ladder, with the men as laborers and the woman as maids. Housing was far worse than urban slums today. Thomas Sowell, "Ethnic America," chapter one.

"The French sociologist, Gustave de Beaumont, visited Ireland in 1835 and wrote: "I have seen the Indian in his forests, and the Negro in his chains, and thought, as I contemplated their pitiable condition, that I saw the very extreme of human wretchedness; but I did not then know the condition of unfortunate Ireland...In all countries, more or less, paupers may be discovered; but an entire nation of paupers is what was never seen until it was shown in Ireland." Slaves in the United States had a greater life expectancy than peasants in Ireland." The West Awake: Barry Clifford: The Democide Of Ireland In The 1800's

1. I wonder if any saw the 2015 film "Black Mass," based on the 2001 book Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill. Pretty good flic....but couldn't show the depth of the corruption....

It is the story of arch criminal, serial killer, and gangland boss, 'Whitey' Bulger, and his brother, political boss, Billy Bulger, in Boston.

But, today being Saint Patrick's Day, this is not about Whitey...but about the Irish.
In the tale, Carr recounts a history of the journey of the Irish, fighting to succeed in a new land, and doing so on their own.
By that, I mean without the "help" of the Liberals, as that "help" was applied to African-Americans.

2. Ann Coulter writes: " It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived.

a. In fact, black Americans were doing better in individual pursuits than many immigrants. Barone compared their American journey to the Irish: “Both rise smartly in hierarchies (government bureaucracies, the military) but haven't fared as well in free-market commerce.” http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/941114/archive_013670.htm

3. As to the Bulgers: "Their father, James, was raised in Bosnon's North End, where many of the city's Irish immigrants initially settled,....the Bulgers were poor. As they grew up, all of them, even Whitey, would seek jobs with the government. The Bulgers distrusted all types of private enterprise, perhaps because of a railroad accident in which their father, a third-generation laborer, caught his arm between two boxcars and had to have it amputated.

A straw boss explained that a one-armed laborer was of no further use and fired him. The railroad calculated the wages due him- up to the time he had fallen, mangled, to the cinder bed- paid him, and forgot him.

James Bulger Sr.'s predicament was a common-enough predicament in those days. Many Irish politicians wee raised in homes where the father was either dead or maimed after an industrial accident.

At that time, there were no disability pensions, no workman's comp, no doles of any sort. Life insurance was for the wealthy. If you were unable to work, your family was consigned to a life of poverty."
Carr, Op. Cit.

a. "After the accident, the Bulgers drifted from one apartment to another in Dorchester until 1938, when they heard about a new public housing project in South Boston called Old Colony Harbor, the second such public housing project in the nation." Ibid.

4. "Permanent, federally funded housing came into being in the United States as a part of Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal. Title II, Section 202 of the National Industrial Recovery Act, passed June 16, 1933, directed the Public Works Administration (PWA) to develop a program for the "construction, reconstruction, alteration, or repair under public regulation or control of low-cost housing and slum-clearance projects...".

Led by the Housing Division of the PWA and headed by architect Robert Kohn, the initial, Limited-Dividend Program aimed to provide low-interest loans to public or private groups to fund the construction of low-income housing..... between 1934 and 1937 the Housing Division, now headed by Colonel Horatio B. Hackett, constructed fifty-two housing projects across the United States, as well as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Atlanta's Techwood Homes opened on 1 September 1936 and was the first of the fifty-two opened." Public housing in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poverty, the open animosity of earlier immigrants....."No Irish Need Apply".....

Sounds familiar.

I guess it's quite an advancement on the Right that you people have managed to mainstream racism back into your population.

It's kind of like when school systems manage to mainstream their retards into the general classroom structure and end the stigma of 'special' classes.

What does that have to do with the issue under discussion?

What help did blacks get that the Irish didn't get during the peak times of Irish emigration to the US?

Welfare, Food Stamps, Affirmative Action, Scholarships and thousands of government programs designed specifically to help blacks.

Any questions?

None of that happened during the time I specified. More whites are on welfare and food stamps than blacks.

You cannot list a thousand programs exclusive to blacks.

That's right, the Irish never received any of those benefits. That's why they aren't wallowing in the ghetto stuck on the welfare plantation.

You're nit picking at minutiae.

Whether or not the Irish and other groups did or didn't receive any of those emoluments, they certainly weren't coddled in the way African-Americans have been, right down to the law being applied in special ways to this group by Liberals/Democrats who need their votes, the the following are true:

Oh my yes the coddling.

During the potato famine migration of the Irish to the US, blacks in America were being coddled as slaves.

While the Irish were occasionally being turned away for jobs, blacks enjoyed full employment as slaves!

And don't forget the Irish suffering in the South for 100 years under that system, what was it called?

Oh yeah, Jamie O'Crow! terrible suffering.

Coddling the black people. Fuck you.

Carr, Op. Cit.

Sounds familiar.

I guess it's quite an advancement on the Right that you people have managed to mainstream racism back into your population.

It's kind of like when school systems manage to mainstream their retards into the general classroom structure and end the stigma of 'special' classes.
Im sorry, I have failed to keep up on all the lefts talking points.
Im really not sure what you are getting at. Are IDs racist?

Carr, Op. Cit.

Sounds familiar.

I was responding to your proclamation that the white race is superior to the black race.

Carr, Op. Cit.

Sounds familiar.

I was responding to your proclamation that the white race is superior to the black race.
Thats what the left keeps telling us.
the blacks have to have reduced grades to get into college or the military, have to have preference in jobs, because of them wording like, "or able to learn, or Trainable" have replaced actual knowledge in the work force.
Cant require IDs because they dont seem to know how to get them. Overlook their crimes because they dont understand society.
The left is the side that is making the whites appear to be superior, You might want to talk to your handlers about that.

lol, if slavery was so great for blacks, as PC keeps insisting with cut and pastes that slyly suggest the same,

maybe we should institute slavery for poor white people...you know...

give them a chance to reap the benefits of enslavement and help them catch up with the black people.
lol I know right? :D

That's our PoliticalSpice

America will always be held back whilst its attitude to race is so screwed up.
I agree. And the sooner the left stop using race as a tool, and stops keeping minorities in poverty all for the sake of a vote, the quicker America will be able to move forward.
As long as the left continues to instill the notion to blacks that they are inferior and will never be able to live without the government handouts, the racial problems will continue to exist.

The Irish voted Dem well into the 1970s from the very first days they could vote in America.

They were heavy in the labor movement.

They were anti-war in WWI because our ally was Great Britain.

They opposed busing in Boston during the 1970s.

The Irish voted Dem well into the 1970s from the very first days they could vote in America.

They were heavy in the labor movement.

They were anti-war in WWI because our ally was Great Britain.

They opposed busing in Boston during the 1970s.
you have to admit that bussing was a very bad and unfair practice.

Thats what the left keeps telling us.
the blacks have to have reduced grades to get into college or the military, have to have preference in jobs, because of them wording like, "or able to learn, or Trainable" have replaced actual knowledge in the work force.
Cant require IDs because they dont seem to know how to get them. Overlook their crimes because they dont understand society.
The left is the side that is making the whites appear to be superior, You might want to talk to your handlers about that.

Held back? That may be the dumbest post of the year

Hey! Did you pose for this picture or did someone just draw it from memory?

Scientific_racism_irish.jpg

Held back? That may be the dumbest post of the year

What good came out of Jim Crow?
The ability to use it to get more free shit and set asides for the next 600 years?

There is very little government help, relatively speaking, that is available to black Americans that isn't also available to white Americans.

Forum List

Back