The incongruence of Trump's presence at Davos is apparently lost on Trumpkins

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Donald Trump went to Davos and, by all appearances, reveled in being there. That's no surprise because for the whole of his life, Trump has craved the approbation of elites -- that term in Trump's mind appears to mean little other than "really rich people," even though to elites, wealth is but an optional aspect of being so -- around the world, in the U.S., in Palm Beach, in Manhattan, at school, etc. Trump is ostensibly a billionaire (or at least a rich enough person, even if not a billionaire) and as such, were he to have met the definition elites have for what it means to be elite, might have long been invited to Davos, but, of course, he never was invited because he never met the criteria for being elite/invited. Now that's he's POTUS, he gets an automatic invitation, but only because he's POTUS. There's a very good chance he won't attend Davos once he's not POTUS.

That, of course, is just "court intrigue." What's bizarre about his being at Davos is that it's a conference of the world's political, financial, social and economic globalists. Davos is so not a conference that, given his articulated policy positions, Trump has any reason to attend as the POTUS. On the other hand, as an entrepreneur seeking to boost sales and obtain business development opportunities for his own firm, he's got plenty of reason to attend. Trump is, after all, a man whose company even now has not engaged U.S.-domestic manufacturing facilities/manufacturers to produce Trump garments. One can only wonder whether the next club/resort, residential or commercial property Trump Organization opens will be in the U.S. or abroad.

Do Trumpkins even know what Davos is? I saw one of them remark on USMB as though Davos is an environmental summit. (I damn near fell over laughing when I saw that.) Davos attendees by and large acknowledge the veracity of climate change and, if anything, aim to collaborate and profit by producing goods and services that help abate the climate's continual warming.

Donald Trump went to Davos and, by all appearances, reveled in being there. That's no surprise because for the whole of his life, Trump has craved the approbation of elites -- that term in Trump's mind appears to mean little other than "really rich people," even though to elites, wealth is but an optional aspect of being so -- around the world, in the U.S., in Palm Beach, in Manhattan, at school, etc. Trump is ostensibly a billionaire (or at least a rich enough person, even if not a billionaire) and as such, were he to have met the definition elites have for what it means to be elite, might have long been invited to Davos, but, of course, he never was invited because he never met the criteria for being elite/invited. Now that's he's POTUS, he gets an automatic invitation, but only because he's POTUS. There's a very good chance he won't attend Davos once he's not POTUS.

That, of course, is just "court intrigue." What's bizarre about his being at Davos is that it's a conference of the world's political, financial, social and economic globalists. Davos is so not a conference that, given his articulated policy positions, Trump has any reason to attend as the POTUS. On the other hand, as an entrepreneur seeking to boost sales and obtain business development opportunities for his own firm, he's got plenty of reason to attend. Trump is, after all, a man whose company even now has not engaged U.S.-domestic manufacturing facilities/manufacturers to produce Trump garments. One can only wonder whether the next club/resort, residential or commercial property Trump Organization opens will be in the U.S. or abroad.

Do Trumpkins even know what Davos is? I saw one of them remark on USMB as though Davos is an environmental summit. (I damn near fell over laughing when I saw that.) Davos attendees by and large acknowledge the veracity of climate change and, if anything, aim to collaborate and profit by producing goods and services that help abate the climate's continual warming.

You leftists got skunked, didn't you? Trump's overwhelming popularity in Davos was the exact opposite of what you wanted to see or expected to see. Even though the conference was made up primarily of leftists and globalists, they're still business people who like growing economies. And their economies are growing, not even you can deny that. When America prospers, the rest of the world also prospers.

The story of his reception at Davos will be told by the volume of foreign investments in the US over the next year.

BTW-another market record today. How many is that?

You really are as clueless about business as Obama was. If Obama had been more concerned with generating the wealth of America instead of being a sanctimonious and ultimately inconsequential POTUS, he himself would have gone.

Forum List

Back