The Hypocrisy of ‘Helping’ the Poor

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On October 2 there was an OP-Ed in the NYT written by the author Paul Theroux. His most recent book was called Deep South: Four Seasons on Back Roads. I haven't read it yet. I'm still waiting for my kid to give up the last book. I like Theroux's articles. He has a cynicism that I like. You have to read the piece in it's entirety but here is a snippet:

I found towns in South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas that looked like towns in Zimbabwe, just as overlooked and beleaguered. It’s globalization, people say. Everyone knows that, everyone moans about it. Big companies have always sought cheaper labor, moving from North to South in the United States, looking for the hungriest, the most desperate, the least organized, the most exploitable. It has been an American story. What had begun as domestic relocations went global, with such success that many C.E.O.s became self-conscious about their profits and their stupendous salaries.

To me, globalization is the search for a new plantation, and cheaper labor; globalization means that, by outsourcing, it is possible to impoverish an American community to the point where it is indistinguishable from a hard-up town in the dusty heartland of a third world country.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/the-hypocrisy-of-helping-the-poor.html

You'll note that he asked questions for his book from two organizations in Arkansas regarding any funding from the Clinton Foundation. Here:
In Brinkley, Ark., in reporting for my book, I had met Calvin King, who in 1980 founded the Arkansas Land and Farm Development Corporation, trying to reverse black land loss, improve housing and build safe communities. Had the Clinton family charity been in touch with him? “No,” Mr. King said solemnly. “We have not received any funding support from the Clinton Foundation or the Global Initiative.”

After driving across the state, I asked the same question of Patricia Atkinson in Russellville. The director of the Universal Housing Development Corporation, she oversees the building and improvement of houses that are mainly lived in by the rural poor in this part of the state. “It really bothers me that Clinton does so little here,” she told me. “I wish he’d help us. He’s in Africa and India, and other people are helping in the third world and those countries. We don’t see that money. Don’t they realize our people need help?”

In response came an article from the great liberal elitist no-nothing Annie Lowrey. She gonna elite 'splain globalization.

No, Depressed American Towns Do Not Look Like Zimbabwe

It is the difference in thinking that bothers me. I have no idea if Theroux would call himself a liberal. Lowrey on the other hand banks on it. But, she is so far removed from reality it isn't funny and she does not get it. What is very real in the US does not even register. It's either a deep secret that no one should ever acknowledge or she really is that stupid. She isn't going to get it anytime soon. Now you know what the liberals are fighting.

And as a two-fer, Billy if you happen to catch this, now you know what I see in Clinton.

Haven't read anything by Paul Theroux in ages, must have been The Old Patagonian Express. But now I have just placed this one on reserve at the library. I'm 4th on the list but that's okay, I'm enjoying The Year of Fear: Machine Gun Kelly and the manhunt that changed the nation.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back