The Horrors of Hell

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
The horrors of hell surpass the imagination of man. Hollywood has attempted to depict hell but the real hell is far more devastating, graphic and frightening than what any Hollywood script writer could create in their most vivid, imaginative moment. The best sermons on hell have consistently come from those who walked closest with God, who knew the Scriptures and were enlightened by the Holy Spirit in explaining what hell will be like for all those whose names are not found written in the Lamb's Book of Life. With that, this thread is dedicated to sermons which will enlighten the reader as to what Jesus Christ taught about hell. Jesus taught more on the subject of hell than any other subject with good reason. The consequences of rejecting God's offer of salvation are eternal and without remedy. As Leonard Ravenhill used to say, "There are no exits in hell." We begin with this sermon entitled, "The Horrors of Hell," by Scott Coltrain. KJV Bible verses are quoted. It is broken into 4 parts. I chose Scott Coltrain's teaching because it is forthright, simple to understand and he gets to the point fast. Other sermons will be added later.

The Horrors Of Hell
Summary: Jesus taught more about Hell than He did about Heaven. In fact, for every mention of Heaven, He mentions Hell twice as often. I want to look at four things that Jesus reveals about the horrors of Hell.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:13-14 KJV

King James Version (KJV)

I want to look at four things that Jesus reveals about the horrors of Hell -
One of the clearest pictures Jesus gave of hell was when he described it as a prison. He told a parable about the kingā€™s servant who was sent to jail for wicked behavior (Matt.18:30-34, Rev 3:7) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

Hell is a prison from which no one is released and from which no one can escape. It is a place without hope.
In times past, I have visited folks in prison and corresponded with a couple inmates. Every one of them talks about or writes about his or her hope of getting out soon. The hope of getting out is the only thing that keeps them going.

But for those who have been condemned to hell, they wonā€™t get out. Once they are in, they are in for good. Once they are there, there are no other chances. Hell is a place without hope. When the Lord locks the doors of Hell, they are locked for all time.

Jesus said of himself in Revelation 3:7 ....he that is holy, he that is true..., he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

Hell is a prison from which no one is released and from which no one can escape. It is a place without hope.
(to be continued in Part 2 - keep reading)
_____

2. Hell is the Ultimate Darkness.

Have you ever been in a very dark placeā€”so dark that you couldnā€™t even see your hand in front of your face?

In my youth, while on family vacations, we visited very large caves. They offered tours at these caves and my Dad took my brother and myself on these tours. It was awesome to see the beauty of the colorful stalactites and stalagmites. However, once we reached the deep interior of these caves, they briefly turned-out the lights and challenged us to try to locate our hand held before our faces. Needless to say, we could see absolutely nothing. It was pitch black. It was quite unnerving and we all were quite happy when they turned the lights back on.

Jesus compares Hell to a place of outer darkness. Matthew 8:12, 22:13; 25:30 says the wicked will be ā€œbound, hand and foot and cast into the outer darkness, and there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.ā€

Jesus did not merely describe hell as darkness, but as the darkness, implying that it is infinitely worse than any physical, moral, mental, or spiritual darkness than any person has ever experienced on Earth. It is not just darkness. It is the darknessā€”the darkest of all.

Just think what it would be like to dwell in utter darkness forever! Never again to see light. Never to see anything ever again. No wonder there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!
The Horrors Of Hell

Last edited:
3. Hell is a Burning Garbage Dump.

Jesus uses the Greek term ā€œGehennaā€ more than any other term when describing Hell. Gehenna was a term the people would be familiar with in Jesusā€™ day. It was the name of the waste dump outside of the city of Jerusalem in the Valley of Hinnom, Among the garbage dumped were the carcasses of condemned people - ā€™the damnedā€™.

This brings to oneā€™s mind the quality of the inhabitants of Hell. We have already noted that Hell is to be the eternal dwelling place of Satan and his demons. But, also, Hell will be the dwelling place of the garbage of humanity.

Those who go to Hell will share the company of the most wicked, evil, reprobate, perverted, and cruel monsters that have ever lived on earth. There will dwell the mass-murderers, the rapists, the swindlers, the homosexuals, the child molesters, the drug kingpins and host of other degenerates.

This is not exactly the best group of people to rub elbows with throughout eternity.
The Horrors Of Hell

Last edited:
4. Hell is a Burning Fire.

But, the primary thought that Jesus wished to convey when He likened Hell to ā€œGehennaā€ is the fact that both places feature a perpetual fire. The prodigious amount of trash from that great city of Jerusalem meant that somewhere in ā€œGahennaā€ there was always a fire burning. It burned day and night. There was always fire and smoke billowing from this horrid, stinking place.

Jesus says to go to Hell, in Mark 9:43,44
is go ā€œinto hell, into the unquenchable fire, where ā€˜their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.ā€™ā€

Here, Jesus tries to convey the torments of Hell. He brings the horrible picture of worms grubbing and gnawing upon the body without end. And then He says that the fire that burns is never quenched; that is, it never goes out. It just keeps burning and torturing the person.

In Matthew 13:42
Jesus says of the wicked that the angels ā€œwill cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.ā€ Here, again, Jesus says the pain and torment will be so intense that there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

In Revelation 20:10 John says that Satan and his ministers will be ā€œthrown into the lake of fire and brimstoneā€¦and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.ā€ But, its just not Satan and his ministers who will be thrown into that lake of fire. Verse 15 says that it will happen on Judgment Day, that ā€œif anyoneā€™s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.ā€

I close this examination of the horrors of Hell with this question - Is your name written in the Lambā€™s Book of Life? Have you obeyed the Gospel which saves? God doesnā€™t want people to go there. In fact, God says, "I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways!" (Ezekiel 33:11).
The Horrors Of Hell

It is a short, concise picture of what hell will be like for those who reject Jesus Christ and decide they do not want their names to be written in the Lamb's Book of Life. If you are going to decide to send yourself to hell you should first inform yourself about what it will be like once you end up there.

3. Hell is a Burning Garbage Dump.

Jesus uses the Greek term ā€œGehennaā€ more than any other term when describing Hell. Gehenna was a term the people would be familiar with in Jesusā€™ day. It was the name of the waste dump outside of the city of Jerusalem in the Valley of Hinnom, Among the garbage dumped were the carcasses of condemned people - ā€™the damnedā€™.

This brings to oneā€™s mind the quality of the inhabitants of Hell. We have already noted that Hell is to be the eternal dwelling place of Satan and his demons. But, also, Hell will be the dwelling place of the garbage of humanity.

Those who go to Hell will share the company of the most wicked, evil, reprobate, perverted, and cruel monsters that have ever lived on earth. There will dwell the mass-murderers, the rapists, the swindlers, the homosexuals, the child molesters, the drug kingpins and host of other degenerates.

This is not exactly the best group of people to rub elbows with throughout eternity.
Thats it. I"m convinced.

I'm never going to set foot in a church again for as long as I live.

The piles of unburied corpses rotting like yours stink to high heaven.

upload_2017-6-17_10-30-59.png

It is written:
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-17_10-27-24.png
    upload_2017-6-17_10-27-24.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 42
36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 13:36-42
upload_2017-6-17_10-41-28.png

Cool scary pictures!

Didn't 'god' flood the entire Earth and kill all living things a while back, saving only one family who then had to have sex with each other one would guess, a while back? And soon after it all went back to being just as it was before the flood?

You'd think a 'god' would have seen this coming and not murdered all those men, women, and children in the first place.

Ah but scary pictures!

I find it hard to believe in a supposedly loving God who would create imperfect beings and then punish them eternally for being imperfect.

The reason it is so hard to believe is because nothing could be farther than the truth.
Hell was created for fallen angels, not humans. And then to make sure that humans didn't end up there, God became man, suffered and died to take away anything that might send you to hell, then offered it to us as a gift of his love. What more do you require?

upload_2017-6-17_11-27-50.png

John 5:28-29King James Version (KJV)

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

King James Version (KJV)

Forum List

Back