The Help

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Did anybody read the book? I just did. Made white women in the 60's seem pretty useless. They didn't do their own housework. They didn't raise their kids. They didn't work outside the home. According to the book, they spent most of their time playing bridge, running a charity to collect food for the starving children in Africa, and talking behind each other's backs.

I grew up in the 60's and I don't remember my mom being like that. Of course, she didn't have a maid either.

I liked the book, but not having grown up in the south, I don't know what it was really like back there back then. Did those stupid ladies really believe blacks carried diseases? So much so that they needed their own toilet? And if they did, why would they have them clean their homes and raise their kids? Didn't make a whole lotta sense to me, but then the world doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Come to think of it, I visited my aunt, uncle and cousins in North Carolina in the 60's and they didn't have a maid either.

Last edited:
Did anybody read the book? I just did. Made white women in the 60's seem pretty useless. They didn't do their own housework. They didn't raise their kids. They didn't work outside the home. According to the book, they spent most of their time playing bridge, running a charity to collect food for the starving children in Africa, and talking behind each other's backs.

I grew up in the 60's and I don't remember my mom being like that. Of course, she didn't have a maid either.

I liked the book, but not having grown up in the south, I don't know what it was really like back there back then. Did those stupid ladies really believe blacks carried diseases? So much so that they needed their own toilet? And if they did, why would they have them clean their homes and raise their kids? Didn't make a whole lotta sense to me, but then the world doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Come to think of it, I visited my aunt, uncle and cousins in North Carolina in the 60's and they didn't have a maid either.

The ladies in the book were upper-middle class so you shouldn't take them as an example of all ladies in the south.

I hardly ever do my own housework.

My bad. :lol:

I haven't done mine a lot lately either, but that just means it doesn't get done. I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. Of course, in the book, they were paid less than minimum wage, with no social security or pension or health benefits or anything.

The book was pretty cliche, I got bored with it and ended up seeing the movie.

Things were rough for Blacks back then for sure. Women were more ignorant generally because it is all they knew. Now there is no excuse for treating fellow human beings as something you would find on the bottom of your shoe.

Racism stinks and it is still ignorant.

The book was pretty cliche, I got bored with it and ended up seeing the movie.

Things were rough for Blacks back then for sure. Women were more ignorant generally because it is all they knew. Now there is no excuse for treating fellow human beings as something you would find on the bottom of your shoe.

Racism stinks and it is still ignorant.

I agree. I celebrate how much better we are now, and pray that we will someday be the country that MLK inspired us to be. A nation that considers each other on the content of our character sounds good to me. Naturally, that would mean some hard soul searching for the majority of us... and I include me in that majority... not only on skin color, but on much more - no one is more or less a human being because they are poor, or even rich.

I have the movie on bluray. It got pretty drawn out and boring I thought. The only reason I made it though the movie was because of Emma Stone...

I have the book, attempted to read it but I just am not an avid reader so I waited for the movie to come out on DVD it was a good movie.

Forum List

Back