The Heliopause heats up to 89,000F

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I was surprised to learn that the boundary between interstellar space and the Sun's "protective" plasma actually reaches temperatures as high as 89,000F! The Voyager spacecraft just entered this area and, thankfully, was functional enough to report back it's findings.

I remember the Voyager probes so well, they have exceeded every expectation and represent the best pure science has to offer!

6A3kxzagUTfC7YWijJDYWH-650-80.jpg

"According to radiation data collected by V2 on its interstellar journey, temperatures in the heliopause reached up to 89,000 degrees Fahrenheit (31,000 degrees Celsius) — roughly double the temperature that previous astronomical models predicted, suggesting a far more violent clash between the solar wind and cosmic rays than scientists ever predicted."

There's a Violent Battle Between Solar Wind and Cosmic Rays, and Voyager 2 Just Passed Through it | Space

nasa-pioneer-space-craft-plaque-alien-message-prints.jpg

I was surprised to learn that the boundary between interstellar space and the Sun's "protective" plasma actually reaches temperatures as high as 89,000F! The Voyager spacecraft just entered this area and, thankfully, was functional enough to report back it's findings.

I remember the Voyager probes so well, they have exceeded every expectation and represent the best pure science has to offer!

"According to radiation data collected by V2 on its interstellar journey, temperatures in the heliopause reached up to 89,000 degrees Fahrenheit (31,000 degrees Celsius) — roughly double the temperature that previous astronomical models predicted, suggesting a far more violent clash between the solar wind and cosmic rays than scientists ever predicted."

There's a Violent Battle Between Solar Wind and Cosmic Rays, and Voyager 2 Just Passed Through it | Space

I think it is so rarefied out there that you could be in a spacesuit and never feel it.

I think it is so rarefied out there that you could be in a spacesuit and never feel it.

I never want to find that out either LOL

pioneer.jpg

I wonder how a machine made here survived temps that high? Sounds funny to me.

Correct....

The density of space is so sparse that even at 89000 degrees the total heat is small.

Jo

Correct....

The density of space is so sparse that even at 89000 degrees the total heat is small.

Jo
That makes no sense at all.

Correct....

Jo
Think of it like this. The sun is a huge mass that emits particles. As those particles pass through space, the space between them enlarges. By the time it hits the heliopause, there is 1 particle every 1,000 miles, roughly.

I'm impressed that the systems on the Voyager are still functioning enough to do the measurement of passing particles.

Interesting read....

Near earth particles = ...............................................................................
At the heliopause+= . . .

Jut like shooting #8 shot from a shotgun..
near= small area tight shot pattern.
far= large area sparsely hit..

Last edited:

Correct....

Jo
Think of it like this. The sun is a huge mass that emits particles. As those particles pass through space, the space between them enlarges. By the time it hits the heliopause, there is 1 particle every 1,000 miles, roughly.

I'm impressed that the systems on the Voyager are still functioning enough to do the measurement of passing particles.

Interesting read....

Near earth particles = ...............................................................................

Do all solar systems have heliopause or just the middle aged ones?

Correct....

That makes no sense at all.[/QUOTE ]

Yes it makes perfect sense....
Heat and temperature are not the same thing. Temperature is s measure of thermal inertia nothing more.

Jo

Correct....

Jo

Temperature and heat are not the same thing. Temperature is merely a measure of thermal inertia nothing more. if Voyager 2 was passing through something as dense as Earth's atmosphere at 89000 degrees it would instantly vaporize.

Jo

Correct....

Jo

Temperature and heat are not the same thing. Temperature is merely a measure of thermal inertia nothing more. if Voyager 2 was passing through something as dense as Earth's atmosphere at 89000 degrees it would instantly vaporize.

Jo
That has nothing to do with the op.

Correct....

Jo

Jo
That has nothing to do with the op.

Actually it does....
But you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

Jo

Correct....

Jo
Its the same concept as why you would not instantly freeze solid if exposed to outer space outside the space station, despite the temperature being only -150 C.

Correct....

Jo

If you touch a whole planet with a temperature of 89,000° then you will burn. If the particles of this planet are dispersed over a giantic room and you touch one of this particles then you will feel nothing.

Correct....

Jo

Interesting read....

All suns send a stream of particles. And the cosmos is full of interstellar particles. The heliosphere is a kind of shield against the interstellear radiation. The stream from particles of the sun pushes back interstellar particles. The heliopause is the border region between both radiations. The strange thing is now that this transistions seems to be very rapid (in cosmic dimensions). As far as I know everyone expected a much smoother transfer.

By the way: The magnetic field of the Earth protects us against the deadly heliopshere - and the deadly heliosphere protects us against the much more deadly interstellar radiation. Radiation destroys our gene code. The problems will be similiar to the problems of the victims of Hieroshima and Nagasaki, who had survived the explosion and died the radiation death. I read once a report from a Japanese doctor, who had died in Hieroshima. A wonderful man. God may give him a nice home in his heavens. It was very cruel what had happened to him. It looked like the structure of his body lost the ability to hold together. Everywhere came blood and slime. The whole scenario remembers to a horror video - but it was real what had happened there to him.

Correct....

Jo

Interesting read....

All suns send a stream of particles. And the cosmos is full of interstellar particles. The heliosphere is a kind of shield against the interstellear radiation. The stream from particles of the sun pushes back interstellar particles. The heliopause is the border region between both radiations. The strange thing is now that this transistions seems to be very rapid (in cosmic dimensions). As far as I know everyone expected a much smoother transfer.

By the way: The magnetic field of the Earth protects us against the deadly heliopshere - and the deadly heliosphere protects us against the much more deadly interstellar radiation. Radiation destroys our gene code. The problems will be similiar to the problems of the victims of Hieroshima and Nagasaki, who had survived the explosion and died the radiation death. I read once a report from a Japanese doctor, who had died in Hieroshima. A wonderful man. God may give him a nice home in his heavens. It was very cruel what had happened to him. It looked like the structure of his body lost the ability to hold together. Everywhere came blood and slime. The whole scenario remembers to a horror video - but it was real what had happened there to him.
So only old solar systems get it.

Correct....

Jo

Interesting read....

All systems with a star radiating have one. It is also one of the reasons we believe that photons are particles and have mass.

Forum List

Back