The Handmaid's Tale......is really about Europe, not the U.S....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This article looks at the HULU series based on a book....a book that took it's inspiration from the Iranian revolution in the late 1970s........but of course.....they want you to think the U.S. could go this way...the author shows that Europe has more to fear than we do....

To Hell in a Handmaid's Basket - American Greatness

What makes any dystopian novel or movie compelling is its ability to draw parallels with―and act as a cautionary tale against―current social and political trends and events. Margaret Atwood wrote The Handmaid’s Tale in direct response to a meditation on the Iranian revolution of 1979 where a society very quickly went from a relatively liberalized one with regards to women’s rights to one which demanded women be veiled and covered―with those mores policed by morality squads. Working off her knowledge of the Iranian revolution, Atwood’s novel is predicated on three things: The simultaneous and complete destruction of the executive and legislative branches of the United States government (think Designated Survivor), a declining birthrate, and a revolution that sweeps in to fill the power vacuum which then invalidates the entirety of the Constitution in favor of a theocratic and biblical model. In this society women’s rights are trampled upon as these women are forced to bear children against their will.

While Atwood presents her tale as occurring in the United States, and the buzz surrounding the release of the Hulu series implies that her vision is timely for America today, in truth, the dystopia she posits has a significantly higher chance of becoming reality in Europe. After all, Europe is the place where trust in and over-reliance upon centralized power, declining birthrates, and an appeasement of an unyielding worldview―the one that actually inspired The Handmaid’s Tale―are all threatening quickly to overturn what was once the font of liberalism and birthplace of the enlightenment into a religiously dystopian and morally bankrupt society.

-----

European governance, conversely, is generally more centralized and, as the European Union experiment has shown, there is an ever increasing move towards greater centralization. In what began as a purely economic union, the EU has expanded into all manner of political control. No counterfactual Handmaid catastrophe need occur to create the requisite centralized political structure in Europe, it already exists. If anything, The Handmaid’s Tale serves as a warning to Americans infatuated with European style, top down governance. It speaks to the threat of over-centralization and should engender a healthy skepticism of our apparent trajectory towards an ever more powerful Administrative State.

did you read the book? it sucked the following movie sucked and so far the series is just okay....as for it being about any country i think it is more about the mentality of a world that has polluted till you have infertility as a reward...

I read the book. She's a Canadian. It did not suck. She was just probably hating on America as most libtards do.

^^ OP is nonsense. The book was written out of the author's awareness, "having come to consciousness in WWII," that change comes anywhere and very easily. She was referring to Eastern Europe not Iran. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/books/review/margaret-atwood-handmaids-tale-age-of-trump.html

"Would I be able to persuade readers that the United States had suffered a coup that had transformed an erstwhile liberal democracy into a literal-minded theocratic dictatorship? In the book, the Constitution and Congress are no longer: The Republic of Gilead is built on a foundation of the 17th-century Puritan roots that have always lain beneath the modern-day America we thought we knew." "The immediate location of the book is Cambridge, Mass., home of Harvard University, now a leading liberal educational institution but once a Puritan theological seminary. The Secret Service of Gilead is located in the Widener Library, where I had spent many hours in the stacks, researching my New England ancestors as well as the Salem witchcraft trials. Would some people be affronted by the use of the Harvard wall as a display area for the bodies of the executed? (They were.)"

She is writing about America, nowhere else.

Book is excellent and, considering the rise of anti-freedom, anti-constitution fundies, very timely.

But we are voting out the democrats every where we can...their anti-freedom, anti-constitution fundies of the left have become more and more violent

Book is excellent and, considering the rise of anti-freedom, anti-constitution fundies, very timely.

But we are voting out the democrats every where we can...their anti-freedom, anti-constitution fundies of the left have become more and more violent
You understand that your sentence means that there are places the GOP can't vote the Dems out of office?

I like the series (so far).....keeps your interest and since I have not read the book, have no clue where it is going....

I liked the line from the episode we watched last night..... I'm paraphrasing....."A change for the better doesn't mean better for everyone, but worse for some"

Conservatives are doing everything they can to make sure that if a woman gets pregnant she stays pregnant regardless of threat to life or the circumstances of impregnation.

They’re doing everything they can to make sure that sexually active women cannot prevent pregnancy.

It is truly fucked up that every politically aware female in America recognizes how easy it would be for this country to reflect a Handmaid’s Tale.

So you can call it reflective of whatever the fuck you want? But Planned Parenthood would beg to differ.

Last edited:

I read Atwood’s book when it was first published and I still think it’s one of her best. By way of disclosure, I’m a huge fan and have read nearly everything she’s ever written.

At the time it was published, I thought it very fanciful, and that the scenario she envisioned could never happen in the US. Today, I’m not so sure it couldn’t. Today her book looks positively prophetic.

The US has lost its morality, in large part because of the lack of fundamental morality of the religious right. While this sounds ironic, it is exactly that loss of morality that Atwood predicted.

Forum List

Back