The Greatest Threat to Our Country

Discussion in 'Education' started by Hobbit, May 1, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Why is this thread in the education section, you may ask? Shouldn't a thread about terrorists or illegal immigrants be in another forum? Well, yeah, but this thread isn't about those things. While they both pose a grave threat to this nation, their threat is more obvious and short term than what I think poses the single greatest threat to the future of this country. That threat is teachers' unions.

"But Hobbit," some of you may ask, "What the hell can teachers' unions do to us that's so much worse than illegals who wreck our economy and terrorists who blow us up?" Well, I'll tell you. First off, teachers' unions don't care about you. All they care about is making sure that no teacher is ever fired and never actually has to do anything, that and misuse millions of dollars in dues coerced by goverment mandated membership to campaign for values that a minority of their membership actually agrees with. For years, politicians have been trying to find a way to improve schools, and any time the solution is anything that would force teachers to do a good job, such things as vouchers, national standards, stricter requirements, and privatization, the teachers' unions have spent millions in dues to oppose these bills, even though, as people who care about their students, most of their members support the bills. Since every other thing has been tried, more funding, better equipment, more funding, smaller class sizes, more funding, higher teacher pay, more funding, standardized testing, and more funding, this leaves me to believe that the one sacred aspect to education that has been left untouched, forcing teachers to compete for their jobs, must be the only solution that will work, if anything works.

"But Hobbit," some of you still ask, "Why is this such a big threat?" Well, get this for a domino effect. Right now, more people are on welfare than ever before. Few citizens have an even elementary understanding of economics or government. Even fewer people even think about their taxes in terms other than their refunds (should I really be that excited that the government not only took too much of my money, but that they don't pay interest for the year that they kept it from me?). We are also becoming a weak nation that can't stomach hardships. All of this is because students aren't even required to try any more because giving all children A's is easier than talking to pissed off parents. The schools created by the teachers' unions are graduating generation after generation of undereducated, illiterate morons who can't even handle the stresses of the real world because they didn't even have to handle what should have been the stresses of growing up. All of this because teachers' unions don't want the people charged with training your child for the workplace to have to do any real work.

Then, it has created generation after generation of apathetic citizens who are uninterested and unlearned concerning the government. Only those with little real education can possibly think that a progressive income tax, inheritance tax, windfall profits tax, 'pussyfist' (pacifist) foreign policy, and unregulated social welfare could ever possibly be good ideas. What happens when these uneducated become the majority? We will have a communist oligarchy, a 'father knows best' state, that doesn't have the will to protect its own borders and lets the international community browbeat it into poverty. Believe you me, folks, if the teachers' unions are allowed to continue to run rampant, they will wreak so much damage against this country that some terroristic towelhead would have a wet dream just thinking about it.

You want to see America fall just like the once mighty Rome in less than 50 years? Just let the unions keep running the skrewls.

One more added note: I will take three jobs AND homeschool before I let my kids set one foot in one of those propoganda and wussification centers they call a public school.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You're definitely exaggerating this public school thing...is it true that a lot of them suck? Absolutely-- but there are some that actually do the job.

Regardless, though, I personally think that this is a brilliant post. With the strengthening of the teacher's union has come a complacency that is detrimental to education. Many teachers have simply passed through their careers doing little, while climbing up the pay scale. They need to have a fire under their asses that pushes them to do more; otherwise, this dispicable pattern will simply continue and hasten the pace of the "dumbing down of America." Quite frankly, we're better than this.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

As long as we break our backs continuing to kiss everyones' poor little offended ass this country will never be better.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Amen to that.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dilloduck again."

5. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Very true. We've traded hard work and dedication for laziness and incompetence. The traditional work ethic has been compromised through extensive unionization and an abundance of lawsuits that one can file against an employer. You should earn what you get, and not simply be entitled to it.

6. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am offended too. Pucker up big boy!!!

What did the Microsoft Wonderboy say on TV?? Only a third of the graduating high school kids are qualified to go on to higher ed.

What did the Association of CPAs have to say?? In some states, the people who are applying for the cert is down by two thirds.. Probably too hard to study for. But, I am sure the Fed Tax Law has a bit to do with it too.

Another report out the other day says that students taking the SAT tests are off by double digit numbers. OK,, so the kids are becoming complacent with tests.

One more fact. The researchers have concluded that young males are not really maturing as expected. They are twenty five and acting like 18-20 year olds. (some women may claim to have known this for a while,, keep it to yourselves!!)

Now, that would make sense. FHM, STUFF, MAXIM, magazines show the hottest toys, some of the hottest chicks, but run ads for video games like no tomorrow. What age group are they trying to appeal to,, 14-30?

Bottom line, us old geezers who are just around the corner from retirement are screwed. If what we have graduating from our public schools is going to be our future, then I would suppose the end is closer than I thought. :mad:

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yeah, I know there are a few that actually work. They're called 'magnet schools' because some parents actually pay tuition for their children to attend school out of district there. However, the only way to make all the other schools do better is if the parents, instead of paying extra, have their tax money diverted to the school their children actually attend. The least common denominator of a successful market is competition for market share. Right now, that doesn't exist in schools.

8. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    No doubt. You sound very much like a school board member elected on a tax-payer platform. If so, congradulataions! And keep up the good work. :thup:
    The vast, vast majority of the school districts who utilize union teachers are bound by closed-shop contracts that disqualify potential teaching candidates soley on the basis of not wishing to be represented by the bullshit value set of union management.

There are parts of this counrty where such disqualification is illegal, and in those areas teachers on both sides of the union line produce better educations for their students. Though it is not always the case that such improved education comes at less cost, in practically every case the economy is realized in the increase in quality per dollar spent on each student.
    I'm not certain this follows, because I'm aware of quite a few teachers who work monumentally hard at their jobs, but the problem lies in where their efforts are required to be focused. So many of these teachers spend rediculous amounts of time accounting for paper clips, pencils and photocopies they use in the classroom--so much so that they often cover the cost of these items themselves so that they can spend more time teaching, and less time defending themselves against reactionary "accountabilty" accusations. Furthermore, while school psycholgists have no problem "labeling" students so that schools can collect greater tax supported funding for "special needs students," it remains politically incorrect to assign an idiot to an idiot's classroom for fear of them being "labeled." Teachers are then forced to teach to the absolute lowest common denominator in their classroom. The consequence is that we pay more per student for less education per student. The union's role in this is to establish a greater demand for dues paying teachers who will be unable to manage adequate education for the above stated reasons, which will lead the unions to lobby for more dues paying teachers, etc., etc...

I suppose I really must question whether or not this is a problem of unions particularly, or a problem of teacher's unions joined at the hip to, and empowered beyond conscience by a governemt monopoly on education, and the ability of these unions, joined with government, to crush their fiscally and productively superior private competition by legislative fiat.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    The problem with the educational system, at least as I see it, isn't unions (though I think many of their demands can get a bit silly and can ignore what's best for the kids). The problem is a lack of value placed on teachers. They aren't well paid, so the best possible candidates aren't drawn to the field. That isn't to say there aren't many qualified, dedicated teachers. But they're too few and far between.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yes, Loki, I agree. It's a two pronged offensive by a government monopoly and the all-powerful teachers' unions. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the teachers. I blame just about everyone else, from the administrators to the unions to the parents to the scum-sucking politicians.