The greatest general in history?

Caractacus

May 7, 2012
The Walls of Constantinople.
Who do you think it is? Why?

My vote would have to be for Hannibal, a peerless commander who nearly ended Rome (and he very well may have had he not been resisted by his political enemies at Carthage who prevented his army from getting money, reinforcements, supplies, etc.).

It's a moot point considering the evolution of warfare. Take the Celtic chieftain in your avi and compare his battles and tactics against Rome using what was availabe at the time with the US Army's European objectives in WWII. Too many factors and parallel drawing to contend with.

Hannibal kept an army in enemy territory for 17 years. That's an extremely tough thing to do. Alexander also deserves a mention other then the homosexual bullshit that they try to project today. He was a solid leader as was his father, neither of which were homosexual. Genghis Khan while often overlooked was an incredible leader and possessed amazing organizational skills. He was also unmatched in his brutality which makes for a terrible human being but a very effective conqueror. Modern generals I liked Heinz Guderian who's armored tactics are still in use today as the basis for all modern armies.

Overall it is to tough for me to call. As mentioned above Robert E. Lee was also an exceptional leader and he was asked to lead the Union Army when the war broke out. He refused and went home.

Hannibal kept an army in enemy territory for 17 years. That's an extremely tough thing to do. Alexander also deserves a mention other then the homosexual bullshit that they try to project today. He was a solid leader as was his father, neither of which were homosexual. Genghis Khan while often overlooked was an incredible leader and possessed amazing organizational skills. He was also unmatched in his brutality which makes for a terrible human being but a very effective conqueror. Modern generals I liked Heinz Guderian who's armored tactics are still in use today as the basis for all modern armies.

Hannibal obliterated army after army that the Romans sent after him, culminating at Cannae, which was the greatest defeat that the Romans ever suffered in their entire history (8 legions plus an equal number of allied support troops virtually destroyed). What's not mentioned but is true is that Hannibal also inspired the Romans to modify their strategy and tactics, transforming the Roman military into a far more effective force than it was before the Second Punic War began.

I remain convinced that had Patton not been demoted after slapping that soldier in Sicily, the American Allies would have been in Berlin 3 months ahead of the Russian. Had Patton and Bradley properly traded roles, Patton would have crushed the German Army in the West at Falaise (as he urged repeatedly) and that would have been the end of serious German ability to defend the West.

Patton also correctly identified WWII as a strategic failure for the US and Brits because all it did was trade one dictator for another, leaving "two of the three great European capital in the hands of the decedents of Genghis Khan"

Does that make him the greatest? Probably not, but certainly the clearest military strategist in the context of his times

Who do you think it is? Why?

My vote would have to be for Hannibal, a peerless commander who nearly ended Rome (and he very well may have had he not been resisted by his political enemies at Carthage who prevented his army from getting money, reinforcements, supplies, etc.).
Your masters think It's General Electric.
Why ? If they have any problem with furrin kuntries, and the bribery fails, your meatheads will teach them a lesson.

Sun Tzu...because he wrote the book. Second place for me would be Washington...because he set the standard for not grabbing additional power following military victory.

Forum List

Back