The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now twice the size of Texas

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
And it's growing exponentially. Perhaps they could put a giant net around the whole mess and have a few dozen tugboats drag it to the beach in Mar-a-Lago?

Every little bit of plastic that gets tossed into the ocean or swept downstream out to sea either sinks or is picked up by currents. Much of it is eventually carried into one of five massive ocean regions, where plastic can be so concentrated that areas have garnered names like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

While "garbage patch" might make you think of something you pass by on the side of the road, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is less like a patch and more like a massive swirling vortex more than three times the size of Spain and more than twice the size of Turkey or Texas.

And it's growing and collecting more plastic rapidly, according to a study published in the Nature journal Scientific Reports by researchers associated with the Ocean Cleanup foundation.

There may be more than 16 times as much plastic in the vortex than previous studies have estimated, according to the Ocean Cleanup researchers.​

The giant garbage vortex in the Pacific Ocean is over twice the size of Texas — here's what it looks like

garbage-in-ocean-pic4.png

Soooo, why aren’t activists out cleaning it up? After every cyclone trash is washed out to sea.
IOW, you want someone else to clean up your trash?

Nice.

Have you stopped using plastic bags at the grocery store yet?

Do you recycle every bit of plastic that you can?

Your assumption is wrong. I do my part.
That trash is from everywhere. And it isn’t just plastic. Activists wish to complain, then do something about it. It is a worldwide problem. No one country by itself, should be responsible for the task at hand. Why hasn’t the UN body done something about the problem?
Soooo, why aren’t activists out cleaning it up? After every cyclone trash is washed out to sea.

Nice.

That trash is from everywhere. And it isn’t just plastic. Activists wish to complain, then do something about it. It is a worldwide problem. No one country by itself, should be responsible for the task at hand. Why hasn’t the UN body done something about the problem?

Nice.

Agreed.

This seems to be a much bigger problem than a mass shooting every once and a while in our nation.

And it's definitely more demonstrable that "AGW." IOW, this problem is measurable, and provable, but the global elites might actually have to do something that would harm their bottom line, like find biodegradable replacements for the current plastics.

They just don't give a shit about REAL problems that we can all agree on.

You see, the problems that are ACTUALLY problems for the masses go under reported and under emphasized by the mass media, only issues that are issues of control for the elites are highlighted and turned into propaganda issues by the mass media. They need to get rid of all of our guns if mass martial law is going to work in a pinch. . . .

The masses are then moved to demand action on issues that would actually NOT be in their best interest, while an issue like this, one that is causing micro-plastics to harm the world population and destroy the environment?

Well hell, the elites secretly have a global depopulation agenda anyway, WTH do they care if people get more cancers and there is less food supply?

I mean, how often does FOX news or CNN report on this?
I don’t watch cnn, but have seen it on Fox before.

Now, plastics are recyclable in many ways. Someone could probably make a mint if they decided to take on the task of harvesting it.
Eco-fi is a high-quality polyester fiber made from 100% certified recycled plastic PET bottles. It can go into any textile product such as clothing, blankets, carpets, wall coverings, auto interiors, home furnishings, and craft felt.
Eco-fi | The high-quality polyester fiber made from 100% post ...

I doubt if any of my plastic trash is out there. I live a long ways inland, and the prevailing winds blow from west to east.

The biggest reason my plastic trash isnt out there is that I burn it. I burn all my trash and bag up whats left and drop it in a dumpster in town.

And it's growing exponentially. Perhaps they could put a giant net around the whole mess and have a few dozen tugboats drag it to the beach in Mar-a-Lago?

Every little bit of plastic that gets tossed into the ocean or swept downstream out to sea either sinks or is picked up by currents. Much of it is eventually carried into one of five massive ocean regions, where plastic can be so concentrated that areas have garnered names like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

While "garbage patch" might make you think of something you pass by on the side of the road, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is less like a patch and more like a massive swirling vortex more than three times the size of Spain and more than twice the size of Turkey or Texas.

And it's growing and collecting more plastic rapidly, according to a study published in the Nature journal Scientific Reports by researchers associated with the Ocean Cleanup foundation.

There may be more than 16 times as much plastic in the vortex than previous studies have estimated, according to the Ocean Cleanup researchers.​

The giant garbage vortex in the Pacific Ocean is over twice the size of Texas — here's what it looks like

garbage-in-ocean-pic4.png

Imagine if the Climate Cult put as much effort into cleaning this up as they do with global warming hoax. This is an issue everybody from all political stripes can actually get behind and fix.

Guess there is no money to be made with the floating garbage islands

A bigger garbage patch than Texas?

How’s that possible?
UPDATED FEBRUARY 7, 2013 -- While everything may be bigger in Texas, some reports about the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" would lead you to believe that this marine mass of plastic is bigger than Texas—maybe twice as big as the Lone Star State, or even twice as big as the continental U.S. For NOAA, a national science agency, separating science from science fiction about the Pacific garbage patch (and other "garbage patches") is important when answering people's questions about what it is and how we should deal with the problem. (For the record, no scientifically sound estimates exist for the size or mass of these garbage patches.)

The NOAA Marine Debris Program's Carey Morishige takes down two myths floating around with the rest of the debris about the garbage patches in a recent post on the Marine Debris Blog(link is external):

1. There is no "garbage patch," a name which conjures images of a floating landfill in the middle of the ocean, with miles of bobbing plastic bottles and rogue yogurt cups. Morishige explains this misnomer:
While it's true that these areas have a higher concentration of plastic than other parts of the ocean, much of the debris found in these areas are small bits of plastic (microplastics) that are suspended throughout the water column. A comparison I like to use is that the debris is more like flecks of pepper floating throughout a bowl of soup, rather than a skim of fat that accumulates (or sits) on the surface.

How Big Is the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch"? Science vs. Myth | response.restoration.noaa.gov

These 'white nationalist' idiots keep mewling about their dream of establishing a "white homeland." Round 'em up and drop them from helicopters onto the patch. Win-win.

Nice.

Agreed.

This seems to be a much bigger problem than a mass shooting every once and a while in our nation.

And it's definitely more demonstrable that "AGW." IOW, this problem is measurable, and provable, but the global elites might actually have to do something that would harm their bottom line, like find biodegradable replacements for the current plastics.

They just don't give a shit about REAL problems that we can all agree on.

You see, the problems that are ACTUALLY problems for the masses go under reported and under emphasized by the mass media, only issues that are issues of control for the elites are highlighted and turned into propaganda issues by the mass media. They need to get rid of all of our guns if mass martial law is going to work in a pinch. . . .

The masses are then moved to demand action on issues that would actually NOT be in their best interest, while an issue like this, one that is causing micro-plastics to harm the world population and destroy the environment?

Well hell, the elites secretly have a global depopulation agenda anyway, WTH do they care if people get more cancers and there is less food supply?

Bisphenols, key components in plastic manufacture are pseudo-persistent (due to their constant reintroduction) and linked to endocrine disruption. Some studies (rats) have shown DNA disruption during sperm cell production at certain concentrations. Maybe that is why they dont stop it?
Much of the climate change literature speaks about the need for effective population control.

Forum List

Back