The Gospel According to John

20 The first day of the week cometh Mary Mag-da-le'-ne early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

- John 20:1,2

3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. 4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
5 And stooping down, and looking in,saw the linen clothing lying; yet went he not in.
6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, 7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise from the dead.
10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
-John 20:3-10

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre.
12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

-John 20:11-14

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have born him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

-John 20:15

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rab-bo'-ni; which is to say, Master.

- John 20:16

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Mag-da-le'-ne came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
-John 20:17,18

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembling for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

- John 20:19

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

-John 20:20

John 20:20 is a fulfillment of prophecy as Jesus had told his disciples earlier - this in John 16:17 - when he said, A little while and ye shall not see me; and again, a little while, and ye shall shall see me.......

and again, it is written:

A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, your heart heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

- John 16:21,22

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

-John 20:20

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father has sent me, even so I send you.

John 20:21

This thread is dedicated to Lord Jesus Christ. It is the Book of John. Some people do not own a bible. By being able to read the bible on USMB they do not have to leave the board to look up a scripture they can just go to USMB and look up the Book, Chapter and verse. I would love to be able to type out the entire New Testament on USMB and perhaps that will happen but for now we can begin with the book of John.

The introduction to the Book of John from my bible is the following:

Just as a coin has two sides, both valid, so Jesus Christ has two natures, both valid. Luke presents Christ in his humanity as the Son of Man, John portrays Him in His deity as the Son of God. John's purpose is crystal clear, to set forth Christ in His deity in order to spark believing faith in his readers, John's gospel is topical, not primarily chronological, and it revolves around seven miracles and seven "I am" statements from Christ.

Following an extended eyewitness description of the Upper Room meal and discourse, John records events leading up to the Resurrection, the final climactic proof that Jesus is who He claims to be - the Son of God.

The title of the Fourth Gospel follows the same format as the titles of the synoptic Gospels: Kata Ioannen, "According to John." As with the others, the word "Gospel" was added later. Ioannes is derived from the Hebrew name Johanan. "Yahweh Has Been Gracious."

This is from NELSON 2625 Bible Authorized King James Version from Thomas Nelson Bibles - A division of Thomas Nelson, Inc. Thomas Nelson

The son of someone or something that doesn't even exist, verrrrry interreesstinng

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

- John 20:22,23

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

- John 20:22,23

And again we see Jesus fulfilling His Word to His disciples as it is written:

12 Verily, verily I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him, but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

-John 14:12-18

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Did'-y-mus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

- John 20:24,25

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

-John 20:26

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless but believing.

-John 20:27

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou has seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.

-John 20: 28,29

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book.
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

- John 20:30,31

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book.
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

- John 20:30,31

21 After these things Jesus shewed himself again to his disciples at the sea of Ti-be'-ri-as; and on this wise shewed he himself.
2 There were together Simon Peter, and Thomas called Did'-y-mus, and Na-than'-a-el of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zeb'-e-dee, and two other of his disciples.

- John 21: 1,2

Forum List

Back