The Free Market In Action

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Melissa Klein Anti-Gay Baker Cries At Values Voter Summit Over Business Closing

Anti-gay baker Melissa Klein cried at the Values Voter Summit last week over the closing of her business after she and her husband, Aaron, faced severe backlash from their refusal to make a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding.

In January 2013, Sweet Cakes By Melissa, located in Gresham, Ore., refused service to a lesbian couple looking for a wedding cake. The subsequent fallout included national media attention and a state investigation for anti-gay discrimination, which may be supported by the Kleins' agreeing to bake cakes for an "ex-gay" group.

The couple is now reportedly fighting a $150,000 lawsuit from the state, a reality that made Klein break into tears while discussing her passion for the process of baking wedding cakes during the Values Voter Summit.

"For me personally, when I would sit down with them, I just would want to know everything about her wedding," an emotional Klein told the audience. "I'd want to know about the flowers, her dress, the centerpieces, her colors, the way her hair is going to be. I would even want to talk about 'where are you going on your honeymoon?'"

Following outrage over the business's anti-gay actions, Sweet Cakes By Melissa eventually chose to shut down their storefront rather than serve gay clients but the bakery is currently operating out of a home kitchen and is still taking orders online.

Video at the link.

What a lot of to-do over nothing. These people made a choice and it cost them dearly. Sad.

I can't wait 'til Luddly opens a business.

Maybe someone will make him bake a cake with someone getting punched in the face as the centerpiece — complete with blood.

Would be interesting, that, yes? :badgrin:

Yep, the PC Police claims another victim. Congratulations.

Watch every last thing you say, do not express your beliefs publicly, or they will find you and issue consequences.

All along, they'll make a mockery of freedom of expression by saying, "we're just expressing ourselves too," knowing full well that all they're doing is playing judge, jury and executioner. They'll go obtuse and pretend not to see the distinction, because they are liars.

So keep your mouth shut.

After all, this is America.

Anti-gay baker Melissa Klein cried at the Values Voter Summit last week over the closing of her business after she and her husband, Aaron, faced severe backlash from their refusal to make a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding.

In January 2013, Sweet Cakes By Melissa, located in Gresham, Ore., refused service to a lesbian couple looking for a wedding cake. The subsequent fallout included national media attention and a state investigation for anti-gay discrimination, which may be supported by the Kleins' agreeing to bake cakes for an "ex-gay" group.

The couple is now reportedly fighting a $150,000 lawsuit from the state, a reality that made Klein break into tears while discussing her passion for the process of baking wedding cakes during the Values Voter Summit.

"For me personally, when I would sit down with them, I just would want to know everything about her wedding," an emotional Klein told the audience. "I'd want to know about the flowers, her dress, the centerpieces, her colors, the way her hair is going to be. I would even want to talk about 'where are you going on your honeymoon?'"

Following outrage over the business's anti-gay actions, Sweet Cakes By Melissa eventually chose to shut down their storefront rather than serve gay clients but the bakery is currently operating out of a home kitchen and is still taking orders online.

Video at the link.

What a lot of to-do over nothing. These people made a choice and it cost them dearly. Sad.

The thing is, she could have done all that with a homosexual couple just the same as she does a heterosexual couple.

I have no sympathy for her. She chose to break the law. If you break the law you deserve whatever consequences that are imposed.

People don't want to give their money to bigots who use religion as an excuse to break the law.

I know I wouldn't give one penny of my money to that woman and her business.

Video at the link.

i used to HAVE to deliver mail to gay people....no biggie.....great tippers at christmas time....

Video at the link.

i used to HAVE to deliver mail to gay people....no biggie.....great tippers at christmas time....

Uh, we always leave a box of chocolates in the mailbox at xmas time ... But the question is, how do you know they were gay?

OMG omg omg omg omg (just quoting @Stephanie)

Don't tell me you're one of those Peeping Tom mail carriers?

Watch every last thing you say, do not express your beliefs publicly, or they will find you and issue consequences.

All along, they'll make a mockery of freedom of expression by saying, "we're just expressing ourselves too," knowing full well that all they're doing is playing judge, jury and executioner. They'll go obtuse and pretend not to see the distinction, because they are liars.

So keep your mouth shut.

Is that what you say when people say they boycott lushbo because he's a one man hate group?

Sorry but the majority don't peek in other people's windows and believe they should be able to control what consenting adults do in their private lives.

Deal.

And, go on line and order a cake from these people.

So keep your mouth shut.

Is that what you say when people say they boycott lushbo because he's a one man hate group?

Sorry but the majority don't peek in other people's windows and believe they should be able to control what consenting adults do in their private lives.

Deal.

And, go on line and order a cake from these people.

Peaking in people's windows?

Huh?

Precisely what does all that have to do with my point?

Speaking of the free market - If you feel really strongly, there's a list of 25 LGBT-friendly companies at the link.

Boycott your little hearts out cuz that's your right.

:eusa_dance:

Video at the link.

The way I hear it their baked goods sucked anyway.

Just my humble opinion, but I support the right of the management of any private business to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

It's their own loss if they do turn down work, and it seems kind of stupid to spend all that money on advertising only to turn away paying customers. If people want to berate that business on social media and in the street for turning away business based on sexual orientation or any other reason, that to should occur without intervention from The State.

What's wrong with this picture is the legal action being launched against the stupid business by The State. It ain't illegal for a struggling business owner to be stupid and it ain't illegal for a business with too much work on their plate already to be picky.

If they had been smart, they would have simply quoted the job at a much higher price than the market was bearing instead of using the opportunity to create a political football from their livelihood.

It ain't illegal to be stupid...

Just my humble opinion, but I support the right of the management of any private business to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

It's their own loss if they do turn down work, and it seems kind of stupid to spend all that money on advertising only to turn away paying customers. If people want to berate that business on social media and in the street for turning away business based on sexual orientation or any other reason, that to should occur without intervention from The State.

What's wrong with this picture is the legal action being launched against the stupid business by The State. It ain't illegal for a struggling business owner to be stupid and it ain't illegal for a business with too much work on their plate already to be picky.

If they had been smart, they would have simply quoted the job at a much higher price than the market was bearing instead of using the opportunity to create a political football from their livelihood.

It ain't illegal to be stupid...
Yeah well it wasn't a private business for private club members.. It was a business selling to the public. As such they have to adhere to public accommodation laws. They made their bed and decided to burn it.

I still say that the only organization that shouldn't have the right to be picky or $tupid when it comes to their customer base should be the many layers of bureaucracy known collectively as 'government'.

I say that with the confidence that any business big enough to hide behind a corporate 'birth certificate' won't turn down market share for those kinds of reasons, if not for the sake of the dollars involved in that sale, for the sake of the negative advertising that such a move would generate in their marketplace.

This is an area where the marketplace IS capable of self regulating and The State should butt the fuck out.

Just my opinion...

I still say that the only organization that shouldn't have the right to be picky or $tupid when it comes to their customer base should be the many layers of bureaucracy known collectively as 'government'.

I say that with the confidence that any business big enough to hide behind a corporate 'birth certificate' won't turn down market share for those kinds of reasons, if not for the sake of the dollars involved in that sale, for the sake of the negative advertising that such a move would generate in their marketplace.

This is an area where the marketplace IS capable of self regulating and The State should butt the fuck out.

Just my opinion...
Clearly the majority is still more than willing to shit all over minorities. Nah, public accommodation laws oriented to remove bigots from the public market square is a good thing. I don't want to go back to white and black water fountains.

Video at the link.

Great tippers? Hmmmm...not quite sure what that means...

Video at the link.

Uh, we always leave a box of chocolates in the mailbox at xmas time ... But the question is, how do you know they were gay?

OMG omg omg omg omg (just quoting @Stephanie)

Don't tell me you're one of those Peeping Tom mail carriers?
when you are on the same route for 10+ years you get to know the people you deliver mail to Ludd......

Video at the link.

Great tippers? Hmmmm...not quite sure what that means...
trade secret.....cant tell ya....

Clearly the majority is still more than willing to shit all over minorities. Nah, public accommodation laws oriented to remove bigots from the public market square is a good thing. I don't want to go back to white and black water fountains.

There's a certain amount of truth to that as far as bigoted attitudes go - anyone who thinks that the concepts of segregation, racism, sexism, etc. have been eliminated is naive at best.

I just feel that in the media environment of today that kind of blatant discrimination by a retail business, especially from the top, is tantamount to corporate suicide. It's getting to the point where nothin' gets by nobody these days. Prime example: The inspiration for this thread.

So keep your mouth shut.

That's right, These right wingers have higher purpose...

Quantum Windbag said:
Jesus used physical force and beat the crap out of people that offended him, would you prefer that approach?

Cecilie1200 said:
No, we're defending THE RIGHT to discriminate.

bripat9643 said:
Freedom includes the freedom to discriminate.

There's a certain amount of truth to that as far as bigoted attitudes go - anyone who thinks that the concepts of segregation, racism, sexism, etc. have been eliminated is naive at best.

I just feel that in the media environment of today that kind of blatant discrimination by a retail business, especially from the top, is tantamount to corporate suicide. It's getting to the point where nothin' gets by nobody these days. Prime example: The inspiration for this thread.
Nothing gets by because it's illegal. Make it legal again and the odds are good that such hovels of racism would not only start popping up again... but they would become popular with certain types of clientele, again. Once they start getting popular, that stuff spreads like the plague. A couple black on white or vise verse acts of violence... a couple kids get sick...

Let's face it a large percentage of the US population is uneducated, working only intermittently above the books if at all, criminal, and downright despicable. These gangs, these drug dealers and users, these drunks, .... yeah there's plenty of people around to feed corporations that deal in bigotry. Hell, look at the catholic church they excel in bigotry against women, and gays.

Forum List

Back