The First Album You Ever Bought

I got lucky, because I inherited a lot of cool albums from my big sister. The first one I ever bought with my own money was Toys in the Attic when I was in 8th grade, I was a huge Aerosmith fan back then.
Nirvana In Utero and Green Day Dookie, got them at the same time. My brother stole In Utero and lost it, I still have Dookie.
I was in junior high during the grunge era what can I say, I think I bought Pearl Jam Vitalogy and STP around the same time!

Soo....yer like 29....30?? That whole thing was goin down when I was a Freshmen.
28, I was in seventh grade when Kurt killed himself, I bought the album about a month before that! I think it would have been 93-94! I was born in 80!

Michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg

:redface:

Who's that guy on the cover? :lol:

lol ... that's Michael after one of many transformations. That one being into a white person.
Thriller was actually one of the first tapes I had when I was a kid, didn't buy it though since I was like 5! I think I ended up trading it to my brother for the Ghostbuster's soundtrack or maybe it was the other way around!:redface:

Who's that guy on the cover? :lol:

lol ... that's Michael after one of many transformations. That one being into a white person.
Thriller was actually one of the first tapes I had when I was a kid, didn't buy it though since I was like 5! I think I ended up trading it to my brother for the Ghostbuster's soundtrack or maybe it was the other way around!:redface:

My mom bought Thriller on vynil when it came out. I barely remember it because I was so little at the time. I do remeber the picture of him with the tiger on the inside.

My mom bought Thriller on vynil when it came out. I barely remember it because I was so little at the time. I do remeber the picture of him with the tiger on the inside.
When I worked at the city park it also has a Ice Rink and one day we went through all the old records they played. I got Michael's smooth criminal, Phil Collin's "In the Air tonight", I think Reo Speedwagen and a few others. Lucky I was smart enough to keep the record player/tape player stereo my parents bought me!

Nirvana In Utero and Green Day Dookie, got them at the same time. My brother stole In Utero and lost it, I still have Dookie.
I was in junior high during the grunge era what can I say, I think I bought Pearl Jam Vitalogy and STP around the same time!

Soo....yer like 29....30?? That whole thing was goin down when I was a Freshmen.
28, I was in seventh grade when Kurt killed himself, I bought the album about a month before that! I think it would have been 93-94! I was born in 80!

Yeah....yer the same age as my brother.

Published 1963.

Until I bought this, my record collection was on 45 rpm.

322634303_399ee7db52.jpg

Stereos had just begun to come on the market at the time, and a few of my friends had bought them. I had a few dollars saved up and my dad had heard from my mom that I’d said I’d wanted one, so on a Saturday he offered to go with me to the oldest music store in our town. They did'nt have the small stereos like my friends had so we ended up buying a huge console model with base speakers in the main console box and two side tweeters.

Dad arranged for me to put all the money I had as a down payment and for me to pay the rest off in weekly payments over the summer. This was his way of introducing me to buying on credit. Some would say that was a bad thing, but it was a good lesson about the value and leverage of credit, and It was my responsibility to handle. I always considered that a greater gift than if he’d bought if for me, which of course he never would’ve done.

I had literally no albums to play, and knowing of that, dad said to the store manager “you ought to include something for him to play on this player” since he's buying it here. (a lesson in negotiations) They let me pick an album from their rack and whether they had any pop or rock music in stereo I don’t know. But I wanted an actual stereo album and I came up with Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony No. 3, on a vinyl 78 RPM record.

I had been introduced to classical music in elementary school when our class was taken to the IU Auditorium to hear the IU Symphony Orchestra play. They probably played some old standards like, Peter and the Wolf (which I couldn’t have cared less about); and The William Tell Overture (which was one I did). I do remember I was deeply moved by “Finlandia” (by Sibelius) at the time we went to IU. That event was shortly after the end of WWII, and Finland had continued it's struggle for independence from Russia (Soviet Union) through the War.

Like the teenagers of a few years back, with their Heavy Metal music, I would listen to my new album endlessly for the powerful teenage emotions it evoked; teenagers are all about emoting.

Echo Zulu, here’s the 1985 IU(PU) Marching Band’s interpretation:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkCKrapZfBc]YouTube - 1985 IUP Marching Band-Saint Saëns' Organ Symphony (1 of 5)[/ame]

The 4th movements “Maestoso” Performed for a 5th graders concert on Jan 28, 2009; It sounds a little chaotic, here but seeing the performance, which is a little "rocky" evens it out a little. It is a mathematically perfect work of art.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqz0lmnqMy0]YouTube - Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 (Organ) - Maestoso[/ame]

Last edited:
I cannot remember which one was first.. as I remember buying 2 of them around the same exact time after I got my first pay from being a paper boy

Pink Floyd - The Wall
&
Styx - Paradise Theatre

Metallica - ...And Justice For All (on CD when CDs were still kinda new).

Still a great album, although I'm not a big heavy metal fan. I just know good music when I hear it. I wish I could go back to 1985, and see Metallica live in Germany on a head full of crystal meth. That's the way to experience 80s "speed" metal!

I have all of Peter-Gabriel-as-a-singer-Genesis on vinyl. My Dad was big into early 70s prog rock. Phil Collins is a bad ass drummer! They were the first albums that I ever owned.

Forum List

Back