The First Album You Ever Bought

my first 45 as a kid was, I shit you not, Waylon Jennings - Good Ole Boys.

First cd was Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits.

My first records were 78s I inherited from somewhere or the other.

Classicals mostly, I played them on a Philco with a build in radio and shortwave that was about half the size of a Buick. Beautiful woodwork and sound, too, acutally. Wish I had that today.

I think they might have been recorded on slate or something.

I know that they broke rather spectacularly when they were hurled a great distance by a young editec who was terribly interested in doing airflight aerodynamics and materials testing on them.

Yeah, you got me on that one Harry. Can't be by much, though. :lol::lol:

did you guys ever get to see them live......closest i ever got was my dad took me to the opening of the yellow submarine movie.....

you will have to ask Meister Manu.....i was a mere lad of 13 when they hit this country.....Meister probably saw Elvis sing Hard Headed Woman back in 56....:lol:

You know Harry...I'm probably only a couple of weeks older than you :eusa_whistle:but, having said that, I did see Elvis at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1968 :cool:

Nice try Harry, but you need to bring your "A" game here.

PS No I didn't see the beatles, they really didn't tour that long in their career, and from what I remember, they were really short concerts, and pissed a lot of the fans off.

Last edited:
Oh geeze. My first was actually a 45... Kenny Rogers Coward of the County... :redface:

First actual *album* was John Cougar's The Kid Inside(John Cougar Mellencamp, John Mellencamp).

It sucked, but damn was he *cute* to a 13 year old kid. :D

Oh geeze. My first was actually a 45... Kenny Rogers Coward of the County... :redface:

First actual *album* was John Cougar's The Kid Inside(John Cougar Mellencamp, John Mellencamp).

Do you remember Kenny Rogers and the First Edition? Their only hit was "Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In." That was aropund 1967-1968.

I got lucky, because I inherited a lot of cool albums from my big sister. The first one I ever bought with my own money was Toys in the Attic when I was in 8th grade, I was a huge Aerosmith fan back then.

Beatles '65.

Do you remember Kenny Rogers and the First Edition? Their only hit was "Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In." That was aropund 1967-1968.

I wasn't even born then. :tongue:

yup--unfortunately I also bought brand new records in 66 like Manfred Mann, Sam the Sham and the Pharohs and --Roy Orbison.

I wasn't even born then. :tongue:

I was afraid of that. That's "my bad."

retrospectiiverecord.jpg

Perry Como? :D

You know, that song is on The Big Labowski and I had quite a time trying to figure out who the fuck that was singing it. I was quite shocked to find out that it was Kenny Rogers. I was relly only aware of 80s Country Gold Kenny Rogers and anything from the Six Pack soundtrack.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU65-giuJgk]YouTube - Six Pack - 1982 Movie Trailer[/ame]

they had two hits, actually. this one always makes me sad because it reimnds me of a friend.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZYcqlEZxGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZYcqlEZxGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Now, I must kill myself.

Hey,regardless of his weirdities, Thriller was fantastic, possibly one of the very best albums ever made.

I was never that into Michael Jackson, though. My first album was Diver Down by Van Halen (not one of their best) but I had many, many tapes. Including Lover Boy (which my best friend actually bought, but we shared everything), The Best of Aerosmith (or Greatest Hits, I can't remember, Vol. I...what an incredible album), Eagle's Greatest Hits vol. I, Led Zeppelin with the funny symbols, RUSH, AC/DC (Back in Black). I got Rush and Back in Black at the same time, and they probably qualify as my first tapes....but my first (and I believe only) album was the Van Halen one.

I had an extensive Van Halen collection (the old stuff, wow). Oh and The Cars, Candy-O. And Lynrd Skynrd. We belonged to one of those clubs where you got 10 tapes for a penny, you know. So I got a whole bunch all at once, then never bought any more. I was a rebel. And a little bit of a thief. REO Speedwagon and Def Leppard to round things out.

BTW Echo, I saw Aerosmith live in the early 90s. They were INCREDIBLE live.

I got lucky, because I inherited a lot of cool albums from my big sister. The first one I ever bought with my own money was Toys in the Attic when I was in 8th grade, I was a huge Aerosmith fan back then.

my cousins turned me on to a lot of cool music. one of them taught me how to play my first neil young songs (helpless and ohio) on the guitar and the other played Thunder Road for me the first time I ever heard it.

First albums, though? Frampton Comes Alive and Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks.

the first half of thriller was damn good. MJ had some good music.. it's just a damn shame that he's a fucking perderast wierdo.

what was it.. robot chicken that had the bit about aliens abducting the actual MJ and replacing him with this freak we have now? Despite having good music his entire life is a case study on the effects of fame on an individuals ability to keep normalcy in perspective.

Forum List

Back