The Facebook Delusion

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a craftsman's parable (consumerism-symbolic arguably) inspired by the films Exorcist: The Beginning and Mannequin.

Signing off,

====

Philip was a Georgetown University art department professor teaching an inventive new course about female avatars in art-history. Philip was a big fan of Wonder Woman (DC Comics) and collected hundreds of Wonder Woman comics every year(!). Philip believed that characterizing internal emotions and imagination with external creations/crafts helped the mind 'indulge harmlessly and cathartically' in the alienation-paranoia of feeling all alone. Wonder Woman was certainly a pop-culture avatar symbolizing maternal instincts and companionship/friendship in times of trouble/alienation and even loneliness.

Philip decided to create a sculpture one day of Wonder Woman, but from the perspective of her 'life-story' presented as before she became a terrific superheroine. In other words, Philip's sculpture was one of a time when Wonder Woman was simply a beautiful and intelligent young maiden named Diana. Philip's sculpture of 'Diana' represented everything Philip found culturally (and even psychologically!) fascinating about Wonder Woman (DC Comics). He soon became obsessed with his own sculpture, taking photographs of it and showing it to his colleagues (insisting it was a perfect example of spiritualism-oriented modern art).

Philip soon realized he had become totally obsessed with his special 'Diana-sculpture.' He would stay late in his Georgetown studio, staring at it while drinking coffee, sometimes taking notes about its special appeal or drawing little color-pencil renditions of it on his notepad. Philip used to joke about Americans being obsessed with Facebook, and now, he realized he was completely obsessed with his 'Diana-sculpture.' What could he do? Philip was immersed mentally and emotionally in the simple notion that indulging in the 'harmless daydream' that Wonder Woman (or the 'young Diana') would be a 'spirit' who could soothe his fears about being completely shunned by the world (and by critics of art!).

PHILIP: I can't even leave my studio anymore...
GOD: Your heart is pure, but your mind is troubled!
PHILIP: I feel I'm in 'love' with Diana.
GOD: Diana is not real; you've created an 'image' of peace.
PHILIP: Am I so afraid of being alienated/ostracised?
GOD: I wouldn't have heard your prayers were you not, Philip!
PHILIP: Maybe this 'Diana-sculpture' is a sign of my obsession with toys.
GOD: No, the modern age is filled with 'inventiveness' about masks and avatars.
PHILIP: Yes, I believe that's the theme of the 2009 James Cameron film Avatar!
GOD: Perhaps you should watch that film...
PHILIP: I can use this 'Diana-sculpture' as inspiration for a special 'paradiso-presentation.'
GOD: Don't justify your hypnosis with 'escapism' with 'models' of Utopia, Philip.
PHILIP: Well, I suppose I can use this unnatural experience to teach about obsession.
GOD: Modern capitalism is about obsession, and you've learned about Hollywood!

====

figurine.jpg

Forum List

Back