the evil weed

do you think the federal marijuana laws should follow the california paradigm ?

• yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • no

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point is tobacco companies will swoop in. The price will plummet to near cigarette prices. Think I'm wrong read up on Cali growers worried about legal prices falling.

I'm not debating against it. You're arguing for it.

Maybe if you weren't such a fucking pothead, this concept might be a little clearer.

Here's my fact - you're a fucking retard pot smoker who can't produce a rational argument. Maybe you should hire a pro-pot lobbyist. Just make sure he's not a fucking pothead like you otherwise he'll immediately be written off as an idiot.

your not?....you sure as hell seem like it in your posts dipshit...maybe if you were not such a fucking asshole you might realize....your arguing against it...

and here is my fact.....youre a fucking asshole that has no concept of pot....have never smoked it... but yet here you are acting like your some fucking jerk that actually knows what he is talking about...hey Sweetcheeks....go try some and then come back and then maybe you will have some credibility on this subject....until then....your just another poster,posting the usual anti-pot drivel...

Harry, I think you're generally reasonable, but your off base when you suggest that oly someone who has smoked pot has credibility on the subject. I have never smoked, yet I guarantee you I know more about the ugly side of pot than you do.

Why don't you tell us about "the ugly side of Pot" then, Con?

My point is tobacco companies will swoop in. The price will plummet to near cigarette prices. Think I'm wrong read up on Cali growers worried about legal prices falling.

That I doubt.

FWIW I smoke pot and cigarettes.

Of the two behaviors, cigarettes cost me more every month than pot does.

And that's with pot being illegal, too.

If I could grow my own I wouldn't spent $50 a year on pot, PLUS I wouldn't be helping to support the criminal class that moves pot on a grand scale commercially (and illegally).

LEGALIZE IT.

The government has no more MORAL right to involved itself in people growing hemp at home than it has to tell us whether or not we can grow tomatoes or parsley.

Guarantee? Yes. and I'm not talking about the people who use pot. I'm talking about the people who make a living off pot. They are scumbags who need to be round up and locked away. Now you can say that legalizing MJ would eliminate these folks but in reality it would not , it would just push them into another illegal endeavor.

And remember, I'm PRO state's rights on this issue, but let's not pretend that pot is completely harmless, it is not.

oh....its the DEALERS.....ok...whatever....

I'm not debating against it. You're arguing for it.

Maybe if you weren't such a fucking pothead, this concept might be a little clearer.

Here's my fact - you're a fucking retard pot smoker who can't produce a rational argument. Maybe you should hire a pro-pot lobbyist. Just make sure he's not a fucking pothead like you otherwise he'll immediately be written off as an idiot.

your not?....you sure as hell seem like it in your posts dipshit...maybe if you were not such a fucking asshole you might realize....your arguing against it...

and here is my fact.....youre a fucking asshole that has no concept of pot....have never smoked it... but yet here you are acting like your some fucking jerk that actually knows what he is talking about...hey Sweetcheeks....go try some and then come back and then maybe you will have some credibility on this subject....until then....your just another poster,posting the usual anti-pot drivel...

Harry, I think you're generally reasonable, but your off base when you suggest that oly someone who has smoked pot has credibility on the subject. I have never smoked, yet I guarantee you I know more about the ugly side of pot than you do.

the ugly side?

1. over the years I have known hundreds of people who smoked pot. ALL of them had jobs, careers, owned businesses
MOST of them graduated from college
they all earn money
pay bills
got married
had kids
bought houses

there was no ugly side

2. even if it were possible that you could point to an occasional example of something bad happening to someone because of pot i would counter that there is an ugly side to everything;

alcohol and tobacco have uglier sides than pot
football has an ugly side...more people die each year from football than from pot
boxing causes brain damage
you can fall to your death while mountain climbing, bungy jumping

MOST people who smoke pot are NOT problems in society
MOST people who smoke pot do not experience the "ugly side"

Why don't you tell us about "the ugly side of Pot" then, Con?

Munchies at 4 am when the only place open is the crappy pizza place down the street?

:lol:

Waking up in the morning and finding the rest of the deli sub in bed with you.

Waking up in the morning and finding out you put your mom's macaroni salad out on the front porch. I hate Miracle Whip.

To be honest, the second had something to do with bourbon as well.

Researchers in New Zealand found that those who used cannabis by the age of 15 were more than three times (300%) more likely to develop illnesses such as schizophrenia. Other research has backed this up, showing that cannabis use increases the risk of psychosis by up to 700% for heavy users, and that the risk increases in proportion to the amount of cannabis used (smoked or consumed). Additionally, the younger a person smokes/uses cannabis, the higher the risk for schizophrenia, and the worse the schizophrenia is when the person does develop it. Research by psychiatrists in inner-city areas speak of cannabis being a factor in up to 80 percent of schizophrenia cases.

Professor Robin Murray (London Institute of Psychiatry) has recently (2005) completed a 15-year study of more than 750 adolescents in conjunction with colleagues at King's College London and the University of Otago in New Zealand.

Overall people were 4.5 times more likely to be schizophrenic at 26 if they were regular cannabis smokers at 15, compared to 1.65 times for those who did not report regular use until age 18.

Many researchers now believe that using the drug while the brain is still developing boosts levels of the chemical dopamine in the brain, which can directly lead to schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia.com - Marijuana Cannabis and Schizophrenia

"Messing with Heads: New Research on The Long Term Effects of Cannabis" - Video here

FOUR CORNERS: Pilot Special Edition - Hit Alt + F4 to close this window

That was debunked too, I'm too lazy to get the link it's at normal.org
Dr prescribe it for anxiety and it worked great on mine. I married a gorgeous woman and anxiety never came back.

I drink in moderation myself, and worked in drug enforcement for 10 years. I'd venture to say that I have seen more impaired people than most on this board.
Fair enough. Keep in mind that a high person probably looks more impaired to non-high people than he or she actually feels. That's been my experience, at least.

I am pro allowing states to legalize marijuana or not. I ridicule those who make ridiculous claims that pot is not as impairing than beer. One doof earlier tried to compare an 1/8th to a six pack of beer earlier, when you and I both know that smoking an 1/8th would be like drinking a CASE of beer.
Something along those lines; I'm a daily smoker and can make an eighth last a week or longer. Cannabis is physically impairing in a sense, but I've never experienced the loss of cognitive function and judgment ability that I experienced when I drank. The mental effects seem almost opposite, in fact.

Oh, you were just as impaired, the major difference being that alcohol affects the fine motor skills more than marijuana, and maybe judgment skills, hard to say on that one; and another thing is that only the hard core smokers will smoke an 1/8th in one setting while it's pretty common to see people drink beer by the case. I think it's perfectly sensible to assume that once legal and the price has presumably dropped that more people will smoke larger quantities when they do smoke. Thus upping the people who are really high as opposed to those who just have a buzz., because it is true, a person could share a joint with their buddies and be perfectly unimpaired, but it's also true that a person could share a six pack with their buddies and be perfectly fine. Up that to a case and you've got a drunk, up that to an 1/8th and you've got a seriously impaired person.

An astute observation, Con.

Comparing the effects of marijuana to the toxicating effects of alcohol is pretty much impossible as they operate on the brain is very different ways.

In the first place one cannot get inTOXICated on hemp.

Not the word TOXIC?

There is no known level of TOXICITY with marijuana, hence one cannot really be said to be inTOXICated when smoking.

But smoking pot certainly does effect your thinking. YOu get high, but not TOXIFIED.

And the other problem is this...beer and alcohol have KNOWN levels of toxicity in that we know how much alcohol is typically in them.

But POT smokers usually cannot KNOW how much THC is in their smoke.

So how does one compare the potential effects between a KNOWN TOXIC amount of alcohol versus smoking a substance (with no toxicity, but with some effects on the brain) when one doesn't even know its hallucinagenic/euphoric strengths?

Comparing alcohol to hemp is like comparing dance to archtecture.

They're so different (because they operated differently in our bodies and on our brains) that comparing them or their effects is an excercise in futility.

You cannot kill yourself with pot.

And if it isn't TOXIC, then calling somebody in pot intoxicated is a misuse of the word.

I know when I've had enough, it's when I can't remember the alarm code. It's my sons 2 college sports numbers.

Researchers in New Zealand found that those who used cannabis by the age of 15 were more than three times (300%) more likely to develop illnesses such as schizophrenia. Other research has backed this up, showing that cannabis use increases the risk of psychosis by up to 700% for heavy users, and that the risk increases in proportion to the amount of cannabis used (smoked or consumed). Additionally, the younger a person smokes/uses cannabis, the higher the risk for schizophrenia, and the worse the schizophrenia is when the person does develop it. Research by psychiatrists in inner-city areas speak of cannabis being a factor in up to 80 percent of schizophrenia cases.

Professor Robin Murray (London Institute of Psychiatry) has recently (2005) completed a 15-year study of more than 750 adolescents in conjunction with colleagues at King's College London and the University of Otago in New Zealand.

Overall people were 4.5 times more likely to be schizophrenic at 26 if they were regular cannabis smokers at 15, compared to 1.65 times for those who did not report regular use until age 18.

Many researchers now believe that using the drug while the brain is still developing boosts levels of the chemical dopamine in the brain, which can directly lead to schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia.com - Marijuana Cannabis and Schizophrenia

"Messing with Heads: New Research on The Long Term Effects of Cannabis" - Video here

FOUR CORNERS: Pilot Special Edition - Hit Alt + F4 to close this window

gee... i wonder how anyone using any drug daily at 15 would impair the brain....

Yes smoking at 15 daily slows you down. I wanted to make a mill by 40 and it took me till 49.

Decriminalized. Not legal. Too many kids abuse alcohol and prescription drugs because its handy. Don't need to add pot to the mix,
If you believe that legalizing marijuana will make it more available to minors than it presently is the example of alcohol demonstrates that the opposite is true. Marijuana is presently available from street dealers to any minor who has the money to buy it -- and many pot dealers are minors. The fact is it is significantly easier for a minor to obtain marijuana than alcohol.

So the notion that marijuana prohibition limits access by minors is false.

I believe the above to be true. Further, this is what parents should explain to their pre-adolescent children rather than telling them the usual Reefer Madness lies about marijuana, which is counterproductive.

Brain chemistry is not fully developed until post-adolescence, which occurs in most people by age 18. The use of any substance that tampers with the development of brain chemistry can cause problems such as outlined in the above report.

Taking any psychotropic substance ESPECIALLY while your brain is still young and developing is ill advised.

That is truer than true.

That issue really has nothing to do with the issue of the disprohibition of marijuana.

People just like to get high. That's just human nature for many of us, especially when we're younger.

You control freaks just need to get the fuck over it.

You've given us the MAFIA thanks to alcohol prohibition, and now we have even more dangerous organized criminal sydicates THANKS to your stupid and evil war on drugs.

In fact, this would likely be a much better world if control freaks (they suffer from overactive super egos, probably brought on by fear and over authoritative upbringing, I suspect) had to smoke some dope.

Live and let live.

We've got REAL issues to deal with, and people smoking dope aren't one of them.

Last edited:
Decriminalized. Not legal. Too many kids abuse alcohol and prescription drugs because its handy. Don't need to add pot to the mix,
If you believe that legalizing marijuana will make it more available to minors than it presently is the example of alcohol demonstrates that the opposite is true. Marijuana is presently available from street dealers to any minor who has the money to buy it -- and many pot dealers are minors. The fact is it is significantly easier for a minor to obtain marijuana than alcohol.

So the notion that marijuana prohibition limits access by minors is false.

No it is not significantly easier to obtain. I don't know where you live, but we don't have dealers on every street corner in my town. But there are liquor cabinets in almost every house. Many kids feel that alcohol and pills are acceptable because adults use them. This is from the CDC.

The survey asked a number of questions related to drug and alcohol use in its 2009 tally.

It found that:

* 72% of high school students said they had used alcohol.
* 37% said they had used marijuana.
* 6.4% said they had used cocaine.
* 4.1% said they had used methamphetamine.
* 6.7% said they had used ecstasy.
* 2.5% had used heroin.
* 8% had used hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD or mescaline.

Those percentages were similar to those found in 2007.

Last year was the first time the survey, which has been conducted every other year since 1991, has assessed prescription drug abuse among high school students. The CDC says it found that 20.2% of high school students said they had taken a drug such as Ritalin, Xanax, or OxyContin without having a doctor's prescription.

Survey Reveals Rx Drug Abuse by Teens

Legally proscribed pharmaceuticals are the number one source of problem drugs here in Maine, folks.

This according to our local police chief.

Forum List

Back