The electoral college is a disaster for democracy

Funny, the EC works fine every time a Democrat gets elected... hmmm....

When Democrats win, they win the popular vote.
Take out KKKalifornia, Trump wins the popular vote.

"Take out" the Cubs, Indians, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Nationals, Tigers, Lions, Bears, Oh My, Wankees, Phillies, Pirates, Orioles, Rays, Marlins, Breves, Reds, White Sox, Royals, Cardinals, Astros, Rangers, Rockies, D-backs, Mariners, As, Giants, Angels, Blue Jays, Brewers and Padres, and the Minnesota Twins win the World Series.

Pointless.
You leftards are too ignorant to know America is not a Democracy, it is a Republic.

But we can make it a Democracy. Then we can vote on abortion, homosexual marriage, immigration, welfare qualifications, prison times and punishments for convicted criminals, etc etc.

And you think "republic" means you can just "take out California", is that about it Nimrod?

Without it the residents of less populated states would have no voice and the large population centers could control our elections and elect people who would put policies in place to help the high population areas at the expense of the rest of the country.

:lol: I keep hearing that meme parroted here over and over and over, yet no one has yet demonstrated how it would work. Y'all seem to think endlessly repeating an idea but never proving it somehow makes it a real thing. Whelp --- it doesn't. As I've pointed out relentlessly from the start here, a voter in downtown Manhattan is the same number of voters as one in Winfield Kansas --- one. The definition of "one" is universal and non-negotiable. Unless maybe this is 'math you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better'. :rofl:

The founders had it right, it works.

Actually the Founders didn't have in mind what we have. They lost control. They originally had in mind that Virginia should run the country, and for four decades it did. But when the whole "winner-take-all" malarkey started snowballing like nuclear proliferation, James Madison proposed a prohibition on it:

>> One of the most common criticisms of plans to modify or eliminate the Electoral College is that to do so would be to deviate from the wisdom of the Founders of the American political system. But the "Father of the Constitution" himself, James Madison, was never in favor of our current system for electing the president, one in which nearly all states award their electoral votes to the statewide popular vote winner. He ultimately backed a constitutional amendment to prohibit this practice.

,,, In 1823, Madison wrote a remarkable letter to George Hay explaining his views of the Electoral College, his strong opposition to states voting as winner-take-all blocs and his view of the origins of the winner-take-all rule. In addition to disenfranchising districts that voted against the preference of the state, Madison worried that statewide voting would increase sectionalism and the strength of geographic parties. He wrote that his views were widely shared by others at the Constitutional Convention, and that the winner-take-all approach had been forced on many states due to its adoption in other states: "The district mode was mostly, if not exclusively in view when the Constitution was framed and adopted; & was exchanged for the general ticket [e.g., winner-take-all rule] & the legislative election, as the only expedient for baffling the policy of the particular States which had set the example." -- Madison and Presidential Vote

Madison did that despite the fact that it would undermine the power grab his own state of Virginia had benefited from since the country itself began.

>> Attempts to defend the Electoral College based on the fact that it was introduced by brilliant political thinkers such as Madison fail to appreciate the unique political context in which it was created and the fundamental differences between that time and ours. As Madison said of the presidential election system in 1830 and would likely say again today, "a solid improvement of it is a desideratum that ought to be welcomed by all enlightened patriots." << (ibid)

You don't like it this time because your candidate lost. I get that and understand it.

I didn't even have a candidate to lose. And I've been on this same track since months and years before the election. You'll find my posts all over this forum saying the same things about the EC for at least the last calendar year. You'll find them especially in the third party threads, which is exactly what I did when I lived there in Louisiana, since I understood that with the EC tossing my vote in the shitcan it was the only recourse I had.

And that link I just quoted above --- it's from 2012. June, long before that election, when there was nothing going on in the EC.

So again, while I understand summa y'all need a rich fantasy life because you can't cope with reality, I don't choose to join it, thanks anyway.

But from a practical standpoint, the constitution is not going to be changed to switch to pure democracy, because pure democracy is the tyranny of the majority, a thing that you dems and libs rant and rave against every day.

I don't even believe in "tyranny of the majority", Doodles. I don't do Doublethink.

I disagree with every one of your "points". Is that permitted in your universe?

You have stated your "opinion" quite well. I fully understand what you are trying to say. I simply disagree. I have explained why I disagree several times, but you persist.

I will not respond to another post from you on this thread.

"Take out" the Cubs, Indians, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Nationals, Tigers, Lions, Bears, Oh My, Wankees, Phillies, Pirates, Orioles, Rays, Marlins, Breves, Reds, White Sox, Royals, Cardinals, Astros, Rangers, Rockies, D-backs, Mariners, As, Giants, Angels, Blue Jays, Brewers and Padres, and the Minnesota Twins win the World Series.

Pointless.
You leftards are too ignorant to know America is not a Democracy, it is a Republic.

But we can make it a Democracy. Then we can vote on abortion, homosexual marriage, immigration, welfare qualifications, prison times and punishments for convicted criminals, etc etc.

And you think "republic" means you can just "take out California", is that about it Nimrod?

and you think "republic" means that California and New York should decide our elections, is that about it, Nimrod?

Pointless.

The left keep displaying their total ignorance and stupidity not understanding it is they that got Trump elected.

Pointless.

The left keep displaying their total ignorance and stupidity not understanding it is they that got Trump elected.

Exactly, the arrogance of the lying media, the corrupt democrats, crooked Hillary, incompetent Obama, and the lying pollsters got Trump elected.

The dems and libs still don't understand that the American voters REJECTED: Hillary, Obama, democrats, liberalism, the corrupt media, the lying pollsters, and the snowflakes of academia.

Its doubtful that they will ever get it, I don't think the liberal mind is capable of rational thinking.

Pointless.

Exactly, the arrogance of the lying media, the corrupt democrats, crooked Hillary, incompetent Obama, and the lying pollsters got Trump elected.

The dems and libs still don't understand that the American voters REJECTED: Hillary, Obama, democrats, liberalism, the corrupt media, the lying pollsters, and the snowflakes of academia.

Its doubtful that they will ever get it, I don't think the liberal mind is capable of rational thinking.

Speaking of "getting it" --- dafuck do Hillary Clinton or democrats [sic] have to do with Liberalism?

Agree on corrupt media though. Their endless quest for ratings is exactly why anyone even knows who Donald Rump is.

Pointless.

California is one of the United States, Dishrag. A pretty important part. You don't get to just pull it out because you voted a different way. That ain't how either Democracy OR a Republic works.

Pointless.

and you think "republic" means that California and New York should decide our elections, is that about it, Nimrod?

I've never made that assertion. Ever. I've contradicted it every time it's been trotted out and demanded a justification. Got crickets every time too. I should go into the cricket business. This forum gives me an endless supply.

Know what's a hoot though?
This post above immediately followed ---
I will not respond to another post from you on this thread.

-- that was gone in literally one minute. :rofl:

Pointless.

California is one of the United States, Dishrag. A pretty important part. You don't get to just pull it out because you voted a different way. That ain't how either Democracy OR a Republic works.
You have to go to a modern college to learn to be that stupid.

Pointless.

Ah well then congratulations are in order. Hope it didn't cost too much. Hate to tell you but there are wags right here on this board that act that stupid naturally.

Ah well then congratulations are in order. Hope it didn't cost too much. Hate to tell you but there are wags right here on this board that act that stupid naturally.
It's obvious you don't understand how the EC works and the purpose for it… LOL

See what I mean? You just can't teach that.

See what I mean? You just can't teach that.
The EC is going nowhere… Live with it LOL

But she did win. You just won't acknowledge it.
Thank you for demonstrating how liberals are devoid of reality.

Funny, liberals were demanding Republicans accept the outcome of the election....but after Hillary loses...well, we have people like you.

Hillary has been REJECTED by the American people for a 2nd and FINAL time.

Have fun the next 4 years supporting 'President' Hillary, especially after she goes to jail as 'promised'. :p

No, the American PEOPLE chose Hillary Clinton.
Yes they did. The Electoral College is outdated and makes no sense in modern times. We elected Clinton by a majority vote and she should be president.

The electoral college prevented Hillary from being elected. The EC is working fine - it was designed to prevent that kind of disasters.

The seeds of civil war have sprouted. How is the current festering hatred between the left and the right any different than what led up to the civil war?

The seeds of civil war have sprouted. How is the current festering hatred between the left and the right any different than what led up to the civil war?
Snowflakes calling for the overthrow of the govt, for the racist murder of whites, and for the assassination of the new President - because they are sore losers - is what is causing the 'sowing of the seeds of civil war'. Their seditious intoletance has reached near-epic proportions.

Pointless.

California is just one big liberal shit hole...

Get the fuck out we dont want california..

Pointless.

And that ^^ Ladies and Germs, is precisely what I mean when I say the Electoral College divides us up into artificilal bullshit "red" and "blue" sectors. There it is in action. Can't be denied.

Thanks for the illustration. :thup:

But she did win. You just won't acknowledge it.
Thank you for demonstrating how liberals are devoid of reality.

Funny, liberals were demanding Republicans accept the outcome of the election....but after Hillary loses...well, we have people like you.

Hillary has been REJECTED by the American people for a 2nd and FINAL time.

Have fun the next 4 years supporting 'President' Hillary, especially after she goes to jail as 'promised'. :p

No, the American PEOPLE chose Hillary Clinton.
Yes they did. The Electoral College is outdated and makes no sense in modern times. We elected Clinton by a majority vote and she should be president.

The electoral college prevented Hillary from being elected. The EC is working fine - it was designed to prevent that kind of disasters.

Actually that's the very reason it can also prevent a Rump Presidency disaster too. You know the election hasn't happened yet, right?

It's also the reason a couple of electors (at least) have already declared they can't cast their vote for Rump, even though their state (Texas) went that way.

As has been apropos throughout this whole saga, the operative platitude is --- "careful what you wish for".

And that ^^ Ladies and Germs, is precisely what I mean when I say the Electoral College divides us up into artificilal bullshit "red" and "blue" sectors. There it is in action. Can't be denied.

Thanks for the illustration. :thup:
So you want large cities on the coast controlling the nation.
Talk about divisive shitheads.

Forum List

Back