Zone1 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

H2555 - ḥāmās - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (kjv) - Blue Letter Bible

Concordance Results Shown Using the KJV. Strong's Number H2555 matches the Hebrew חָמָס ( ḥāmās ), which occurs 60 times in 59 verses in the WLC Hebrew. Page 1 / 2 (Gen 6:11-Oba 1:10) Tools. Gen 6:11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. H2555.

Transliteration
ḥāmās
Pronunciation
khaw-mawce'

OK

Blue Letter Bible Search
The correct translation as per the entire subject matter of Genesis Chapter 6......reads, as follows. The King James Version interprets Before God.....as being clearly seen by God or BEFORE the sight of GOD. The correct translation is better served in a modern format that considers the content (subject matter) and the surrounding context. Such as the ESV or the NASB.

As per the subject of the Chapter......the translation reads as follows. The subject matter is clearly defined in 6:1..........how mankind continued to multiply and how they were becoming ever more corrupt with the passage of time. Thus the subject matter is the wickedness of man, not the corrupt state of the earth.......as corruption in God's eye means willful (premeditated) Sin.....God's Laws were being corrupted by men. So great was the state of corruption in the mind of men that the Lord "regretted" i.e, was sorry or repentant that He had made man on the face of the earth. (Genesis 6:6)

If you attempt to translate the Hebrew to mean that the earth itself is corrupt that would directly contradict other literal passages in Genesis. "God saw all that He had created and it was good." -- Genesis 1:31. The earth is not a living breathing being that is subject to morality (the earth does not define its function by hate, love, deception...etc., its simply mass and matter.........Corruption is defined as Sin......... Example (1 Cor. 15:33) "........bad company corrupts good morals." Sin cannot be imputed without the ability to comprehend good from evil as it was sin itself that brought about this knowledge of Good and Evil to Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:22), "And the Lord God said, Behold the man has become as one of us....to know good and evil........." Thus children cannot sin until they reach the age of reason........no animal can sin, because no animal can comprehend/understand the LAW...animals exist by instinct........the instinct to survive and reproduce. Unlike man that know comprehends his/her actions as being good or evil/wicked.

Back to Genesis 6:11, The correct translation based upon the content and the contextual evidence reads as follows, "Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence" The earth was not being violent......it was Men as described (Genesis 6:6).........."...the thoughts of man were EVIL......." -- Genesis 6:5

Last edited:
The correct translation as per the entire subject matter of Genesis Chapter 6......reads, as follows. The King James Version interprets Before God.....as being clearly seen by God or BEFORE the sight of GOD. The correct translation is better served in a modern format that considers the content (subject matter) and the surrounding context. Such as the ESV or the NASB.

As per the subject of the Chapter......the translation reads as follows. The subject matter is clearly defined in 6:1..........how mankind continued to multiply and how they were becoming ever more corrupt with the passage of time. Thus the subject matter is the wickedness of man, not the corrupt state of the earth.......as corruption in God's eye means willful (premeditated) Sin.....God's Laws were being corrupted by men. So great was the state of corruption in the mind of men that the Lord "regretted" i.e, was sorry or repentant that He had made man on the face of the earth. (Genesis 6:6)

If you attempt to translate the Hebrew to mean that the earth itself is corrupt that would directly contradict other literal passages in Genesis. "God saw all that He had created and it was good." -- Genesis 1:31. The earth is not a living breathing being that is subject to morality (the earth does not define its function by hate, love, deception...etc., its simply mass and matter.........Corruption is defined as Sin......... Example (1 Cor. 15:33) "........bad company corrupts good morals." Sin cannot be imputed without the ability to comprehend good from evil as it was sin itself that brought about this knowledge of Good and Evil to Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:22), "And the Lord God said, Behold the man has become as one of us....to know good and evil........." Thus children cannot sin until they reach the age of reason........no animal can sin, because no animal can comprehend/understand the LAW...animals exist by instinct........the instinct to survive and reproduce. Unlike man that know comprehends his/her actions as being good or evil/wicked.

Back to Genesis 6:11, The correct translation based upon the content and the contextual evidence reads as follows, "Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence" The earth was not being violent......it was Men as described (Genesis 6:6).........."...the thoughts of man were EVIL......." -- Genesis 6:5
No comment on the Hebrew word for violence is hamas

n
And? Question? Since the original Hebrew written text has been dead for over 2200 years.......and was translated from Hebrew to Greek, the universal language of the day (The Septuagint Translation of the Old Testament) because the language was not comprehended by the Majority of the Hebrews themselves......thus, it took some 72 Hebrew scholars from 12 different tribes to translate the language sometime between 285-247 B.C. (before Christ). FYI the language remained dead and antiquated until just recently in history......Now you are attempting what? To define one word 2000 years removed from those who stopped using the tongue because of its confusing format as viewed by the Hebrews themselves?

I fail to see any point in attempting to argue over a single word. As the Christ declared, Ye blind guides, why choke on a gnat and then attempt to swallow a camel. Meaning? Its simply an empty argument based upon nothing of importance. How does this single word change the truth from the Holy Scriptures? It does not........the scriptures self interpret when allowed by not projecting personal bias into the reading.

Concordance Results Shown Using the KJV. Strong's Number H2555 matches the Hebrew חָמָס ( ḥāmās ), which occurs 60 times in 59 verses in the WLC Hebrew. Page 1 / 2 (Gen 6:11-Oba 1:10) Tools. Gen 6:11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. H2555.

Transliteration
ḥāmās
Pronunciation
khaw-mawce'

OK

Blue Letter Bible Search

Hamas is an acronym of the Arabic phrase حركة المقاومة الإسلامية or Ḥarakah al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah, meaning "Islamic Resistance Movement". It has nothing to do with the Hebrew "Chamas" that you are citing.

St Paul's name was actually Saul, the enemy of David (the name "David" in the Hebrew Bible is used as a symbolic name or moniker for the Messiah). The name "Saul" in Hebrew is connected to Sheol, the grave. Should we play this little "mystical word game" with Paul your apostle? Paul, Saul's nickname means "the least". Jesus says of those who are the least in His Kingdom:

Mat 5:17-20 Think not that I have come to destroy the law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. (18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least (PAUL) in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (20) For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Wow, Paul is the least, and he will be identified and considered "the least" by the people who live in the Kingdom of God. Oh wow, look at how mystical I'm being, revealing such cryptic wisdom. Wow, I'm so special!

The Muslim Palestinians and many Christian Palestinians as well, are fighting the occupation of the Holy Land by Zionist Jews. The violence that has been inflicted by the Jewish Zionist State of Israhell against the Palestinians is always ignored by people like you. Supposedly the Jewish Zionists have the right to do whatever they want in the name of self-defense, but when the Palestinians defend themselves and kill Zionist Jews, it's labeled terrorism. The Israeli terrorist state often kills Palestinian children, even whole families, but you don't care. You justify it, by appealing to "self-defense". All is permissible in self-defense for the Jewish Zionists, but not for the Palestinians, who are just trying to free themselves from their besieged city in Gaza and have a life. They're trying to get their lands and houses back from the Zionist government.

Transliteration
ḥāmās
Pronunciation
khaw-mawce'

OK

Blue Letter Bible Search
before god?

It would be better understood as the earth was corrupt before the face of God. Or as God looks down upon the earth it was corrupt.

The thread really should have ended with your post. But even after you said that, still some people are misunderstanding it... which just goes to show, if a verse doesnt make sense at first glance, it's always a good idea to read several different bible versions, because of course some are worded in a much more clear and understandable way than others.

But maybe I'm just not sure what point the OP was trying to make?

ETA: I just re-read the OP, I guess he was making a point about the word 'Hamas.'

Hamas is an acronym of the Arabic phrase حركة المقاومة الإسلامية or Ḥarakah al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah, meaning "Islamic Resistance Movement". It has nothing to do with the Hebrew "Chamas" that you are citing.

St Paul's name was actually Saul, the enemy of David (the name "David" in the Hebrew Bible is used as a symbolic name or moniker for the Messiah). The name "Saul" in Hebrew is connected to Sheol, the grave. Should we play this little "mystical word game" with Paul your apostle? Paul, Saul's nickname means "the least". Jesus says of those who are the least in His Kingdom:

Mat 5:17-20 Think not that I have come to destroy the law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. (18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least (PAUL) in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (20) For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Wow, Paul is the least, and he will be identified and considered "the least" by the people who live in the Kingdom of God. Oh wow, look at how mystical I'm being, revealing such cryptic wisdom. Wow, I'm so special!

The Muslim Palestinians and many Christian Palestinians as well, are fighting the occupation of the Holy Land by Zionist Jews. The violence that has been inflicted by the Jewish Zionist State of Israhell against the Palestinians is always ignored by people like you. Supposedly the Jewish Zionists have the right to do whatever they want in the name of self-defense, but when the Palestinians defend themselves and kill Zionist Jews, it's labeled terrorism. The Israeli terrorist state often kills Palestinian children, even whole families, but you don't care. You justify it, by appealing to "self-defense". All is permissible in self-defense for the Jewish Zionists, but not for the Palestinians, who are just trying to free themselves from their besieged city in Gaza and have a life. They're trying to get their lands and houses back from the Zionist government.
jews don't even step inside gaza prior to this, so spare me the victimhood

OK
Another Langley inspired piece of comedy .l
They do it everywhere once you start looking and are able to see it .

The evidence that Israel and the CIA created Hamas is fact , not opinion, and originally as a way of scuppering the PLO . This has been confirmed countless times by all parties .

DYOR .

jews don't even step inside gaza prior to this, so spare me the victimhood

Before this, for decades, they have been imprisoning 2 million people in Gaza. The Zionist Jewish State controls the water supply, which is undrinkable without being boiled and even then it contains toxins. All of the electricity, food, and supplies are controlled by the terrorist state of Israel. People can't leave the city, and they can't establish diplomatic relations with other governments and engage in commerce, and that of course includes international trade. Whenever the Zionist Jewish state decides to kill someone, they fire a missile into a neighborhood or building and destroy the building, killing entire families. Women, children, the elderly, everyone is slaughtered.

The Zionist Jews continue to take the farmland and homes of Palestinians (both Muslims and Christian Palestinians). They are walled in and encircled by an illegal, occupying force. It's illegal, according to international law, for the Jewish State of Israel, to occupy territory beyond the 1967 border. What the Zionist Jewish settlers are now experiencing at the hands of Hamas, is what the Palestinians have been experiencing for decades. For over 70 years, the Palestinians have been terrorized, dispossessed of their lands and homes, not to speak of murdered, and dehumanized. Do you care? No. Your response is that these people deserve to suffer and die at the hands of the Zionist Jewish State of Israhell.

The thread really should have ended with your post. But even after you said that, still some people are misunderstanding it... which just goes to show, if a verse doesnt make sense at first glance, it's always a good idea to read several different bible versions, because of course some are worded in a much more clear and understandable way than others.

But maybe I'm just not sure what point the OP was trying to make?

ETA: I just re-read the OP, I guess he was making a point about the word 'Hamas.'
One might say that he knelt and prayed before God. This would not mean that he prayed before God existed but that he prayed in the presence of God. This type of meaning is common in the bible. I'm surprised that others don't realize this meaning when reading bible verses. Or maybe they don't read the Bible very much. I believe you, buttercup, read the bible frequently.

Every kingdom on earth is corrupt to the core.
Then why don't you enlighten us as to why Jesus will crush every one of them off of Gods earth(Daniel 2:44) if they are not corrupt= ruled by satan? Rev 16 assures-EVERY kingdom( govt, armies, supporters) will be mislead by 3 expressions from Satans side for them all to stand in opposition to Gods king at Armageddon.

Or maybe they don't read the Bible very much.
Or as God looks down upon the earth it was corrupt.

what could be more corrupt than any of the three desert bibles ... blessed by the heavens who know better than to read what is written for the purpose to deceive. the heavenly impersonators of the desert religions and those who revere them.

surly the heavens must have some hope for the future ...

what could be more corrupt than any of the three desert bibles ... blessed by the heavens who know better than to read what is written for the purpose to deceive. the heavenly impersonators of the desert religions and those who revere them.

surly the heavens must have some hope for the future ...
Sounds like you have it out for the Bible and your so called desert religions.

Then why don't you enlighten us as to why Jesus will crush every one of them off of Gods earth(Daniel 2:44) if they are not corrupt= ruled by satan? Rev 16 assures-EVERY kingdom( govt, armies, supporters) will be mislead by 3 expressions from Satans side for them all to stand in opposition to Gods king at Armageddon.
Oh OK, you're crazy. That's why you blindly support the Zionist apartheid state of Israhell.

Sounds like you have it out for the Bible and your so called desert religions.

they impersonate the heavens and live in corruption, claiming a familiarity that never existed. moses the liar and their phony 10 commandments used by all three desert religions to persecute and victimize the innocent. the claim humanity began as sinners ...

the uninterrupted recorded history of the desert religions from their beginnings is all that is necessary as who those people really are.

Forum List

Back