The Dumbest Generation

did not have time to read all the posts.

IMO the kids are not any dumber. they learn some advanced stuff earlier.

the problem is that.

1. everyone is expected to go to a 4 year college. Too much pressure on the kids, parents and teachers to get to university.

2. related to above. Not enough trade schools. only 25 % ever get a 4 year degree

3. learned helplessness. most kids are used to having parents and teachers do too much for them.

4. excuses for failure. It's never the kids fault. it's environment, poor diet, racist teachers etc.

5. unrealistic parents. an apple doesn't fall far from the tree. the parents that are lazy and stupid should expect similar results from their kids.

I agree with all with the possible exception of #5.

The reason I disagree is because it is completely natural for parents to expect their kids, the next generation to be superiour to themselves.

It is the parent who is lazy who doesn't expect anything, similar or dissimilar, from their kids. In fact, they often seem surprised to realize they HAVE kids, and are appalled to be told that THEY are responsible for them.

the problem is that.

1. everyone is expected to go to a 4 year college. Too much pressure on the kids, parents and teachers to get to university.

2. related to above. Not enough trade schools. only 25 % ever get a 4 year degree

3. learned helplessness. most kids are used to having parents and teachers do too much for them.

4. excuses for failure. It's never the kids fault. it's environment, poor diet, racist teachers etc.

5. unrealistic parents. an apple doesn't fall far from the tree. the parents that are lazy and stupid should expect similar results from their kids.

The reason I disagree is because it is completely natural for parents to expect their kids, the next generation to be superiour to themselves.

It is the parent who is lazy who doesn't expect anything, similar or dissimilar, from their kids. In fact, they often seem surprised to realize they HAVE kids, and are appalled to be told that THEY are responsible for them.

there are expectations and unrealistic expectations.

the teachers can't make rocket scientists out of kids with IQs of 75

the problem is that.

No, but the kids' IQ has nothing to do with the parents being lazy and stupid.

you're kidding right? or do you really think intelligence and other character traits aren't passed along from parent to child? I realise heredity is not written in stone but it is a powerful influence in everyone.

you're kidding right? or do you really think intelligence and other character traits aren't passed along from parent to child? I realise heredity is not written in stone but it is a powerful influence in everyone.

You're giving genetics more credit than it deserves: Stupid parents can have bright kids, and vice versa: Most kids have average intelligence, regardless of their parents' intelligence.

You're giving genetics more credit than it deserves: Stupid parents can have bright kids, and vice versa: Most kids have average intelligence, regardless of their parents' intelligence.

statistically genetics is very predictive for the characteristics of progeny. I think you are giving genetics less credit than it deserves. But we all get to have our own opinions, even if some opinions have more evidence supporting them.

statistically genetics is very predictive for the characteristics of progeny. I think you are giving genetics less credit than it deserves. But we all get to have our own opinions, even if some opinions have more evidence supporting them.

You're generalising based on statistics?

We all have our bias, even if some bias are more stupid than others.

You're generalising based on statistics?

We all have our bias, even if some bias are more stupid than others.

and your bias is based on wishful thinking. I'm going to stick with reality.

Oh God, I hope Limp Bizkit isnt used as any type of measure to judge people my age.

Atleast I can say us young americans are not the ones who lived beyond their means, were unable to meet their financial obligations, made terribe investments, ran america into the ground, and created the economic cluster fuck we find ourselves in... atleast not yet anyways. Thats all on you old folks.

Surely you jest. Teenagers today MUST have designer clothes (no more Sears or JC Penny, nor GASP Wal*Mart duds), MUST have a cell phone, MUST have a laptop, MUST have a car. Just wait until you're an adult and you MUST have TWO cars, a starter castle for a home, all the latest IT stuff, a big screen BluRay TV (or whatever will replace that tomorrow).

So at what point does the young American plan to stop wanting everything in the world in order to help save the economy?

None of our kids have designer clothes. An occasionally Aeropostal (on sale only) is about it.

Oldest didn't get a cell phone till she got a job and could pay for it.

Youngest (13) wants a cell phone. For what? She can get one when she can pay the bill.

Laptop for kids? Please. That's inviting the entire world into your kids room. When kids are college bound then it's fine for a laptop,.

Car? My oldest looked for two months last summer before she realized she had to up her price range to get something reliable. We loaned her $3800 and she is paying it off, $50/month. Yeah, it'll take her five years before she done.

Parents who give their kid all the things they 'want' are doing their kids a huge disservice.

Last edited:
Dumb beyond all imagination which explains why we have to bring in foreign mathmeticians and IT workers to do the work for them. Dumb as a box of rocks, and as useless as a 25 pound bag of smashed assholes sitting in the middle of the Gobi desert. Gen Y is not a place in which to find your hope, rather, it's a place to abandon all hope, LOL.

Oh God, I hope Limp Bizkit isnt used as any type of measure to judge people my age.

Atleast I can say us young americans are not the ones who lived beyond their means, were unable to meet their financial obligations, made terribe investments, ran america into the ground, and created the economic cluster fuck we find ourselves in... atleast not yet anyways. Thats all on you old folks.

Surely you jest. Teenagers today MUST have designer clothes (no more Sears or JC Penny, nor GASP Wal*Mart duds), MUST have a cell phone, MUST have a laptop, MUST have a car. Just wait until you're an adult and you MUST have TWO cars, a starter castle for a home, all the latest IT stuff, a big screen BluRay TV (or whatever will replace that tomorrow).

So at what point does the young American plan to stop wanting everything in the world in order to help save the economy?

None of our kids have designer clothes. An occasionally Aeropostal (on sale only) is about it.

Oldest didn't get a cell phone till she got a job and could pay for it.

Youngest (13) wants a cell phone. For what? She can get one when she can pay the bill.

Laptop for kids? Please. That's inviting the entire world into your kids room. When kids are college bound then it's fine for a laptop,.

Car? My oldest looked for two months last summer before she realized she had to up her price range to get something reliable. We loaned her $3800 and she is paying it off, $50/month. Yeah, it'll take her five years before she done.

Parents who give their kid all the things they 'want' are doing their kids a huge disservice.

Obviously there are always exceptions. There's a new reality show on WE network called "Downsized," about the trials and tribulations of a combined family of 8 kids (teens, adolescents) where they are trying to make ends meet after the dad lost his building contracting business. Their home was foreclosed on, the kids had all the correct toys, and they were living high off the hog. Now they all live in a rental, and the opening episode had them scrambling to come up with rent money. The kids, if the story is to be believed, all pitched in with sacrifices like collecting cans and one of the boys sold a baseball glove. Sweet, but all the kids HAD CELL PHONES. Hello? I realize it's embarrassing for a teenager to not have one these days since all their peers do, but that's got to be a huge expense they could shave off at least temporarily.

Dumb beyond all imagination which explains why we have to bring in foreign mathmeticians and IT workers to do the work for them. Dumb as a box of rocks, and as useless as a 25 pound bag of smashed assholes sitting in the middle of the Gobi desert. Gen Y is not a place in which to find your hope, rather, it's a place to abandon all hope, LOL.

Again, there are exceptions. I often see teenagers who don't fit that mold at all. I really don't believe they are "dumb," but rather just "dumbed-down" by the Internet and resulting peer pressure, with the parents caving to every demand.

If they are dumb, who is to blame? Who chose to bombard them with STUPID BULLSHIT during their formative years? I started learning things as a result of reading science fiction books in 4th grade. Then I tried asking adults questions I already knew the answers to and began finding that most adults didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Just because you give a kid a laptop does not mean you have to give them internet access. We should be putting together a 100 gigabyte education package. Netbooks come with 250 gig drives now. 100 gigabytes is enough to hold 100,000 books the size of The Da Vinci Code. With 100,000 gigabytes of good important selected information what would a kid need with the internet? But NO! We haven't been able to put together a good recommended reading list for kids in the last 50 years. We want kids reading Harry Potter.

I just found out about The Tyranny of Words a week ago. That book is from 1938. It is derived from Science and Sanity by Alfred Korzybski which I tried to finish in my early 20s but it was a really difficult book to understand. Maybe because Polish was his first language. But how is it that you can go decades without hearing about a good book?

Face facts. Most people that have some good information aren't spreading it around. This society runs on mostly bad information. So as science and technology get more and more complicated the spread of more bad information faster just screws things up more and more. So everybody looks dumber and dumber. Kids should think adults are idiots these days. The nation that put men on the Moon can't think to talk about the distribution of steel in a skyscraper. ROFLMAO

psik

When I was a kid there was a long period where we didn't have a TV. They were very expensive and paying the mortgage and eating very cheap. Cabbage rolls were a staple on the dinner menu for a long time.

But we always had money for books. Lots of them. And Encyclopedias. We had two complete sets.

Even though my kids are way outperforming me, I do think if I had a do over with them, I would have broken the TV and not replaced it. And I would have bought paper encyclopedias when the boy was in 3rd grade.

Actually, I think the internet is a positive on kids learning skills. My boy likes doing fanfics, and he is on a message board where the literary standards are generous, but still exist. He can post his stuff and get critiqued at the level he is at. Which because he has been doing this for a while is a whole lot better.

The internet allows folks to engage more on an intellectual level. You make a bungle, you will get called on it. I think computers will totally undo the damage that TVs caused

When I was a kid there was a long period where we didn't have a TV. They were very expensive and paying the mortgage and eating very cheap. Cabbage rolls were a staple on the dinner menu for a long time.

But we always had money for books. Lots of them. And Encyclopedias. We had two complete sets.

Even though my kids are way outperforming me, I do think if I had a do over with them, I would have broken the TV and not replaced it. And I would have bought paper encyclopedias when the boy was in 3rd grade.

Actually, I think the internet is a positive on kids learning skills. My boy likes doing fanfics, and he is on a message board where the literary standards are generous, but still exist. He can post his stuff and get critiqued at the level he is at. Which because he has been doing this for a while is a whole lot better.

The internet allows folks to engage more on an intellectual level. You make a bungle, you will get called on it. I think computers will totally undo the damage that TVs caused

I know people who have given away their TVs and only watch their favorite shows on the computer. No more $100 monthly cable bills either.

I think computers will totally undo the damage that TVs caused

I think it is possible but people have to make it happen. The internet is more decentralized than television but there are those who just want to turn the internet into a better form of television. Better being helping them make a buck, so dummies are easier to rip off.

psik

I don't know, if it's the 'dumbest generation'... I won't appropriate the right to decide such judgement.
But, it is obvious, that there is a significant decrease in competence when you compare current generation of Americans to the generation preceding them.

From unchallenged 'American dominance' after collapse of Soviets to where we are now.
That was a very fast one.

Forum List

Back