The Dis-information age

Add to that the fact that so many people seem to be more intellectually deficient, lacking even basic curiosity to educate themselves, and you have a nation suddenly breeding dunderheads. This guy says it beautifully:

America the delusional -- latimes.com
Excerpt:

Somehow all of this anxious animosity has become the background noise crowding out nearly all substantive and realistic discussion of the critical issues surrounding healthcare reform. This is one of the most complex and consequential initiatives of our time, over which even the most serious-minded people of goodwill are bound to have real differences. The stakes are immense, and the discussion, insofar as the reality of partisan politics permits, ought to reflect that.

I agree but you'll notice I didn't quote the obviously partisan end of the LATimes opinion you posted. Isn't that some of what we are discussing here?

(What was that you said? What? Don't bother me now, the game's on.)

Yes, it is what's being discussed. Partisan DISinformation, which is a very lucrative business for Limbaugh & Company (the part you dropped). I rest my case.

I'm trying to be non-partisan and point out that the left leaning talking heads do the exact same thing (in my humble but accurate opinion). I re-opened your case.

I am reminded of the highly-partisan newspapers that provided the bulk of Americans with their information during the Colonial and revolutionary periods. We survived that - and even better we have thrived.

So I'm trying to avoid any "the sky is falling" type pronouncements. I'm just trying to encourage folks to look skeptically at their sources. I believe that if you pay attention to the markers, (like consistently running a lot more stories baised on quotes from one side of the political spectrum, like intolerance for dissenting opinion such as interupting, talking over, raising your voice, etc in a way that prevents the other side from getting their opportunity to explain their position, eye-rolling, loading up a panel, etc) you can spot when you are getting your information from a biased source.

I'm also trying to encourage people to get out of "their comfort zone" a bit. Even if you are very comfortable with the slant of the information you receive, try to get outside of that cocoon often. It doesn't hurt to really listen to people you disagree with. You may never agree with a single word they say, but you'll understand where they are coming from a whole lot better. Don't trust someone who has an ax to grind to tell you "all you need to know" about their political opponents.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back