The Dis-information age

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nodoginnafight, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    The explosion of hyper-partisan internet and cable TV "news" outlets has not (IMHO) produced a more informed electorate. On the contrary, I think it has allowed people to cloister themselves into little knots of like-minded individuals who will only trust those sources that tend to confirm their own preconceived notions.

A lot more "information", but a lot less balance and a lot less accountability for the "information" presented. And it appears to me that the result is a less informed electorate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Couldn't agree with you more. :clap2:

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,746
    Who you really choose to believe for your news is basically how you view most things going on in and around America. You have the very left leaning liberal media who slants every fact into that direction and then you have Fox News which often slants the news towards the views of the people of the right. I see the problem as this. In this day and age, when there is news to be put out on the air waves there is always some talking head telling us what we should believe about the particular news story. I long for the old days when all you heard on the news were the facts and you had to come up with your own conclussion about what you just heard. Guess the news channels don't believe we can think for ourselves any more. As a result, the news channels are what they are, which in my opinion is pretty sad. If I want somebody to tell me what I think about a particular subject, I ask the wife. Otherwise, I would rather make up my own mind.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Pretty funny - and a kernel of truth always makes something funnier.

I think what so many have done - is to trade the the non-biased observer/reporter for a panel. Because the panel may represent diverse views, they claim "fairness" But the panel just tries to scream the other side into submission.

IMHO - It was a very poor deal.

(thanks tigerbob)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Yes!

That is exactly what this age has become, I quite agree.

There was a time, ya know, when Pols that were absolutely CAUGHT IN A LIE went down in disgrace.

Those days are done.

this truly is the age of politics by propaganda.

Why?

Because the propagandists are paid by people who truly do not give a shit about this nation or its people.

6. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    The day Obama offered his third explanation for his relationship with Ayers..... and all three were conflicting with each other.,,,,and the media said "OK, that explains it"....was the day, in my eyes, the media was not to be trusted to be what they were designed to be...informative....

I will never forget Meredith on the NBC morning show saying:

"We at NBC will no longer report on the Ayers/Obama relationship as it is not what the American People need to hear about. There are more pressing issues like the economy that we will dedicate our time to".....and in the VERY NEXT BREATH she said..."and coming up after the break, more details on Madonna's pending divorce..."

Both quotes were paraphrased....but you get the irony I am sure.

7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    The loss of accountability WITHIN the media/information sources has also resulted (imho) in exactly what you describe - a loss of accountability among those the media was supposed to be holding accountable.

Can you imagine a real newsman interupting, yelling, and not allowing his "source" to be heard because the source was answering a question in a way that the "newsman" disagrees with?????????????

Folks like that cannot hold ANYONE accountable for their actions.

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Can't argue with that

9. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I think it all comes down to money.

Networks want to sell more advertising. To do this they need higher ratings. They achieve higher ratings by pandering to one wing or another, frequently sensationalizing stories to jack up the number of viewers.

Most people tend to watch news shows they agree with. Thus the network maintains or increases its audience share and its revenues, and the public has no balance unless it chooses to flip back and forth between channels to see what the other side says on the same subject. All to often the views are so far apart you wouldn't know it was the same news story. All too often, it isn't a news story at all.

That said, too many people (this board is a good example) consume news only from sources that they can use as 'evidence' in support of their own existing views. The networks know this. So do the likes of The Huffington Post et al.

Never in the field of human conversation have so many dogs been wagged so much by so few tails.

10. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Have you noticed how Gibbs ridicules those few that ask him tough questions?

Did you EVER see Tony Snow show such disrespect for his questioners?

The media is not only soft on him....but they are noticeably afraid of him.

How does it go?....when the government is afraid of the people, that is liberty....when the press is afraid of the Press Secretary, that is tyranny....

Or something like that.:doubt:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1