The difference: Superstition & religion.

Block-headed simpletons who are incapable of understanding metaphysics and spirituality are always the first to try - laughably - to pretend their own ignorance is cause for arrogance .

Religion is a group faith in a chosen god or gods.

Superstition is being afraid of black cats.

So, if a religion is afraid of black cats, then... what is it? Religion or superstition?
My suggestion is there’s no difference other than organisation, wealth, political power and numbers. Also worthy of consideration is the often vast body of pseudo-intellectual apologetics and the copious productions of academic theologians that have clogged western thinking for centuries. Does any of it though spare religion from being seen as superstition and if so, why?
To be more specific lets examine a passage from David Humes’ Dialogues concerning Natural Religion and ask ourselves if it contains anything of more validity than mere superstition.
'Have not all pious divines and preachers (said that) this life is but a moment in comparison with eternity. The present evil phenomena, therefore, are rectified in other regions, and in some future existence . . . .and in the eyes of men, being then open to a wider view of things . . . trace, with adoration, the benevolence and rectitude of the deity.'
One of my students from Cambodia was telling me that they believe the dead float around in the form of disembodied heads and if you look straight at one, you will die.
Now, most of us here would view that as a superstition, but it is a bonafide part of her belief system. Some of the other Cambodian students piped up to assure me she was not just telling ghost stories.

Can you explain why, in Christianity, the Virgin Birth is not just a "weird idea" without looking it up?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new concept. Every father of a pregnant teen has heard that explanation since the beginning of time.

Of course, no kidding. It was foretold all the way back to Isaiah that a Virgin would conceive and bear a son. I'm sure there were plenty of wayward maidens along the way who might have claimed it was her to get out of difficult circumstances. And it would seem to me the Jews simply would not put up with it. The truth will out.
I have always thought the Virgin birth was an echo of the old religions, where each year in spring, a ritual was performed to ensure the fertility of the crops by a high priestess being "fertilized" by a chosen priest. Those preistesses were otherwise celibate.
Not such a weird concept to many in the ancient world who had not been converted.

Religion is a group faith in a chosen god or gods.

Superstition is being afraid of black cats.
And what is the difference between being afraid of black cats and afraid of Satan? Some actually believe black cats are Satan in disguise.
Can we return to the meaning of ‘faith’ then and examine why there’s any difference between believing Christ rose on the third day and walking under a ladder is bad luck. The number of believers who accept ladder theology could be described as a ‘group faith’. However, some who use the term ‘group faith’ simply mean a written formalised set of beliefs, that is, a theology. How though is that different from superstition?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews Ch:11.V 1.
At least a black kat exists. Is it evil or bad luck? That’s superstition. Religion is believing impossible things in exchange for the promise of heaven.
You must have attended an odd church.
Odd church? That's a tautology.

A superstition is something in which you believe that you can't fully explain ... a religion is when you believe in something and have to make damn sure everyone else believes it also.

Like, for example, atheism.
It’s hilarious to watch the cultists desperately try to ascribe “religion” to those that don’t need it...

Can you explain why, in Christianity, the Virgin Birth is not just a "weird idea" without looking it up?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new concept. Every father of a pregnant teen has heard that explanation since the beginning of time.

Of course, no kidding. It was foretold all the way back to Isaiah that a Virgin would conceive and bear a son. I'm sure there were plenty of wayward maidens along the way who might have claimed it was her to get out of difficult circumstances. And it would seem to me the Jews simply would not put up with it. The truth will out.
I have always thought the Virgin birth was an echo of the old religions, where each year in spring, a ritual was performed to ensure the fertility of the crops by a high priestess being "fertilized" by a chosen priest. Those preistesses were otherwise celibate.
Not such a weird concept to many in the ancient world who had not been converted.
The virgin birth take is just a Christian rebranding of that regions, age old Baal cult. The original Bible didn’t even ascribe virginity to Mary.

Block-headed simpletons who are incapable of understanding metaphysics and spirituality are always the first to try - laughably - to pretend their own ignorance is cause for arrogance .
Hah...and YOU understand metaphysics and spirituality, eh?

Great! Explain it to us.

Last edited:

Great! Explain it to us.
The Tao of Physics - Wikipedia

Lesson 1: Don’t refer to wiki.
Would Amazon be better? I didn't mean for him to read the wiki article.
Fixed it.

Great! Explain it to us.
https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Physics-Exploration-Parallels-Mysticism/dp/1590308352&tag=ff0d01-20
I don't get it. How does that explain metaphysics or spiritualism? I have read that book many times, actually.

No religion teaches to knock on wood for luck. "Knockism" has no priests or infrastructure.
All religions teach obedience to unverifiable conditions 'outside' one. They all have priests or equivalent. They all have infrastructure (and money coming in).
There may be other differences.

Great! Explain it to us.
https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Physics-Exploration-Parallels-Mysticism/dp/1590308352&tag=ff0d01-20
I don't get it. How does that explain metaphysics or spiritualism? I have read that book many times, actually.
Oh, I probably don't know what metaphysics or spirtualism is, then. Typical of me.

Great! Explain it to us.
Oh, I probably don't know what metaphysics or spirtualism is, then. Typical of me.

Well don't feel like you're The Lone Ranger, my understanding of metaphysics and spiritualism leaves something to be desired. BUT - there are libraries both online and public buildings where that can be addressed. At least as far as my simple comprehensive skills will allow. The trick is to find something that is written down to my level.

No religion teaches to knock on wood for luck.
Of course they do. The mechanic is praying .-- silently muttering under your breath in a submissive position -- but it's no different.
The repetitive quality of a prayer, especially the Catholic rosary, is steadying when one is anxious. I have been known to repeat the Hail Mary/Holy Mary prayers over and over in moments of great stress, and I don't buy any of it. And I was never Catholic.

Forum List

Back