The difference: Superstition & religion.

When we define superstion as an irrational belief and religion as a reverence for God/Gods how do we know the difference - if there is any?
Tell you what, let's you and me debate it in the Bull Ring? 1 v 1

I'll take the position that they are different and you can take the position that they are the same.

Fair enough?

When we define superstion as an irrational belief and religion as a reverence for God/Gods how do we know the difference - if there is any?

I'll take the position that they are different and you can take the position that they are the same.

Fair enough?
Are you going to provide a link to your total destruction, dingbat? :biggrin:

Fair enough?
I won't need to if he takes me up on my offer. It will be in the bull ring. You can watch all you like.

Fair enough?
I won't need to if he takes me up on my offer. It will be in the bull ring. You can watch all you like.
So no link, it's what I thought. :biggrin:

Fair enough?
But you need links to tell you when to take a shit, so there's that. Unless it's something you believe in like how normal a child will be when raised by two lesbian moms.

Fair enough?
But you need links to tell you when to take a shit, so there's that. Unless it's something you believe in like how normal a child will be when raised by two lesbian moms.
What's the problem with lesbian moms? :dunno:

Fair enough?
You mean besides the ones that do it are doing it for themselves? Nothing.

Fair enough?
Do you need a link telling you how great lesbian moms are? Or are you willing to just accept that as fact?

First, let's not constrict the discussion of religion vs superstition to Christianity, ok? That said, many believe that religion has provided standardized guidance for proper behavior. By and large, most religions espouse the value of goodwill towards others and the Golden Rule. Without ethical teachings propagated by religions, it is likely there would be even more conflict and division in the world. Religious ethics, such as the Golden Rule do provide a basis for encouraging better human behavior. True, some religions have been used to start wars and commit atrocities such as the Inquisition, even today we see Muslim terrorists screaming "Allah Akbar!" as they commit murder and mayhem. So religion can be used for evil purposes, but mostly I think the fault lies not in the religion but in the people who use it for evil or misguided purposes. And it ain't all bad:

In the Nineteenth Century, many of the opponents of slavery were motivated by a belief that racism and slavery were incompatible with religious teachings on the inherent divinity of all men. For example, the Quakers, and Christians like William Wilberforce sought to end slavery because they believed slavery was incompatible with Christian charity. And many who opposed Hitler’s Nazi ideology were motivated by their religious faith; this includes people like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Maximilian Kolbe, and Bernhard Lichtenberg. Religious faith can be a source of courage to fight oppression.

Religious teachings emphasize the need for serving our fellow man. The loftiest teaching is to do this selfless service without expectation of reward or praise, but to work with a feeling of oneness and identification with other people. In its purest form, religion can inspire people to serve the welfare of others, not out of ego, but out of a sense of divine duty. This principle of selfless service is found in all the main religions and has led to the foundation of many charitable works.

This world can be a cold and lonely place. For those who accept it, religion can be a refuge and a place to come together with other people. It can be an opportunity to give or receive support from and assistance to others. Certainly there are other secular institutions doing the same thing, most of which were founded by religious people and based on religious ideals.

Within every religion there is imperfection. But, there are also teachings and a culture which can help lift up mankind to live a better, more fulfilling and more selfless life. There are many religious figures who, inspired by religion have made a significant contribution to the world. Which is not to say that religion is indispensable. One may live a deeply spiritual life, without being attached to a particular organized religion. But, religion may be the inspiration for someone to lead a better life. But, like many other things – religion is what we make of it.

Superstition does none of these things, and THAT is the difference.

Last edited:
Do you need a link telling you how great lesbian moms are? Or are you willing to just accept that as fact?
I’ll take the link, go for it.

I think it's your FB page.

No lesbians on my page, too bad for your fantasies.

A superstition is something in which you believe that you can't fully explain ... a religion is when you believe in something and have to make damn sure everyone else believes it also.

Like, for example, atheism.
you can't explain religion
it's all fake/fairytale

No lesbians on my page, too bad for your fantasies.
Come on, Mudda. Are you a liar?

Religion is a group faith in a chosen god or gods.

Superstition is being afraid of black cats.
And what is the difference between being afraid of black cats and afraid of Satan? Some actually believe black cats are Satan in disguise.
Can we return to the meaning of ‘faith’ then and examine why there’s any difference between believing Christ rose on the third day and walking under a ladder is bad luck. The number of believers who accept ladder theology could be described as a ‘group faith’. However, some who use the term ‘group faith’ simply mean a written formalised set of beliefs, that is, a theology. How though is that different from superstition?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews Ch:11.V 1.
At least a black kat exists. Is it evil or bad luck? That’s superstition. Religion is believing impossible things in exchange for the promise of heaven.

Religion is a group faith in a chosen god or gods.

Superstition is being afraid of black cats.
And what is the difference between being afraid of black cats and afraid of Satan? Some actually believe black cats are Satan in disguise.
Can we return to the meaning of ‘faith’ then and examine why there’s any difference between believing Christ rose on the third day and walking under a ladder is bad luck. The number of believers who accept ladder theology could be described as a ‘group faith’. However, some who use the term ‘group faith’ simply mean a written formalised set of beliefs, that is, a theology. How though is that different from superstition?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews Ch:11.V 1.
At least a black kat exists. Is it evil or bad luck? That’s superstition. Religion is believing impossible things in exchange for the promise of heaven.
You must have attended an odd church.

Forum List

Back