The difference: Superstition & religion.

Religion is a group faith in a chosen god or gods.

Superstition is being afraid of black cats.
And what is the difference between being afraid of black cats and afraid of Satan? Some actually believe black cats are Satan in disguise.
Can we return to the meaning of ‘faith’ then and examine why there’s any difference between believing Christ rose on the third day and walking under a ladder is bad luck. The number of believers who accept ladder theology could be described as a ‘group faith’. However, some who use the term ‘group faith’ simply mean a written formalised set of beliefs, that is, a theology. How though is that different from superstition?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews Ch:11.V 1.
Explain in DETAIL: how religion hurts you or someone believing in religion hurts you?

Sssshhhhhh, Internets Unbeliever Warrior at work!!! You're just supposed to stand back and marvel at his genius. :rofl:

We still have no argument able to distinguish between superstition and the foundations of organised religion other than greater numbers swallow the gobbledegook and there’s a more organised group of believers. When, for instance, does a pracitce such as voodoo and it’s followers become accepted as a religion and not mere superstition?
As to statements made here such as "Oh look another unbeliever who's really, REALLY impressed with himself.” I simply can’t be bothered drawing attention to why such assertions have no value in any discussion.
Maybe we should take a side step and ask followers of verious religious streams such as, say, the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Calvanists and ask them which parts of each other’s belief systems are mistaken, and if so which should we describe as mere superstition?

If a group of people form a faith against black cats, satan, and walking under ladders then it is their superstition. If they worship a god that protects them against it then its religion.
A religion based on superstition but I’ve yet to encounter one that expressed that particular set of weird beliefs. Virgin birth and other weird ideas yes,

We still have no argument able to distinguish between superstition and the foundations of organised religion other than greater numbers swallow the gobbledegook and there’s a more organised group of believers. When, for instance, does a pracitce such as voodoo and it’s followers become accepted as a religion and not mere superstition?
As to statements made here such as "Oh look another unbeliever who's really, REALLY impressed with himself.” I simply can’t be bothered drawing attention to why such assertions have no value in any discussion.
Maybe we should take a side step and ask followers of verious religious streams such as, say, the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Calvanists and ask them which parts of each other’s belief systems are mistaken, and if so which should we describe as mere superstition?

Why are you pretending there's a "we" here? Exactly what I mean by how impressed you are with yourself.

Don't look it up now: do you even know the difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and Calvinists? Outline them, since you invoked them.

When we define superstion as an irrational belief and religion as a reverence for God/Gods how do we know the difference - if there is any?

From Merriam-Webster, superstition:

Definition of superstition

1a: a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

From Merriam-Webster, religion:

Definition of religion

b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural

(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Well now I would say this. When you say that you shouldn't walk under a ladder, where does that come from? Based on what? On the other hand, archaeologists just found a beka from ancient Egypt, a form of Temple coin that is actually mentioned in Genesis.

So that might just be one difference.

Jehovah's Witnesses and Calvinists?

The central tenet of Calvinism is a belief in the deity of stuffed tigers.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Sssshhhhhh, Internets Unbeliever Warrior at work!!! You're just supposed to stand back and marvel at his genius. :rofl:
You have as much reason to imagine I’m a ‘he’ as you imagine your deity is male God.

I have more reason to imagine you don't know how to use the quote feature than that you're a man. That much is definitely true.
I agree, I find the quote software here a nightmare to use.

When we define superstion as an irrational belief and religion as a reverence for God/Gods how do we know the difference - if there is any?

Here's a common superstition:

12. Find a penny, pick it up,,,

And all day long, you'll have good luck. This little ditty may arise because finding money is lucky in and of itself. But it might also be a spin-off of another old rhyme, "See a pin, pick it up/ and all day long you'll have good luck/ See a pin, let it lay/ and your luck will pass away."

Thirteen common (but silly) superstitions to savor

A lot of people say this ditty and pick up pennies. Does anyone know why?

Can you see the difference between this ditty and the lives and followings of, say, Jesus Christ or Mohammad?

Yes or no.

You have as much reason to imagine I’m a ‘he’ as you imagine your deity is male God.

I have more reason to imagine you don't know how to use the quote feature than that you're a man. That much is definitely true.

My nightmares involve more clowns and public nudity.

If a group of people form a faith against black cats, satan, and walking under ladders then it is their superstition. If they worship a god that protects them against it then its religion.
A religion based on superstition but I’ve yet to encounter one that expressed that particular set of weird beliefs. Virgin birth and other weird ideas yes,

Can you explain why, in Christianity, the Virgin Birth is not just a "weird idea" without looking it up?

I mean if you want to engage with Christians, buddy, you better know your stuff. You didn't come here asking questions, you came here pronouncing things. So let's hear what you know of the Virgin Birth. I'm guessing absolutely zero, since you already pronounced it a "superstition"

I mean do you realize that Jehovah's Witnesses are a very insular cult and Calvinists are not even a denomination? Do you even know what Calvinism is? Can you explain it?

Can you explain why, in Christianity, the Virgin Birth is not just a "weird idea" without looking it up?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new concept. Every father of a pregnant teen has heard that explanation since the beginning of time.

My nightmares involve more clowns and public nudity.

I had the weirdest dreams last night.

I blame the Thanksgiving food. Truly bizarre dreams.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new concept. Every father of a pregnant teen has heard that explanation since the beginning of time.

Of course, no kidding. It was foretold all the way back to Isaiah that a Virgin would conceive and bear a son. I'm sure there were plenty of wayward maidens along the way who might have claimed it was her to get out of difficult circumstances. And it would seem to me the Jews simply would not put up with it. The truth will out.

Okay, what have you got? Are you looking it up? You must be, and I"m not surprised and very unimpressed.

1. You don't know why the Virgin Birth was significant, why it was not just a superstition, and probably not even where it was foretold

2. You don't know the difference between denominations, cults, and Christians schools of thought

What else we got so far?

Forum List

Back