The difference between conservatives and liberals

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
People think this is complicated, but it can be summed up in one sentence written by a conservative talking about what he calls GOP TV.

The show portrays drug dealers as narcissists and sociopaths who deal drugs as a way to garner power, ignoring the socioeconomic conditions that force many people to deal drugs.

The Daily Northwestern : Misulonas: GOP TV

Anyone want to guess what it is?

"The difference between conservatives and liberals"

Liberals want to help the poor by keeping them poor and conservatives want to help the poor help themselves.

Liberals want to help the poor by keeping them poor and conservatives want to help the poor help themselves.

That is it in a nutshell. The way I see it liberals think society forces people to do things, conservatives think people make their own choices. Liberals are pessimists who think people have no chance unless they get help, conservatives are optimists who think people can do anything.

That is it in a nutshell. The way I see it liberals think society forces people to do things, conservatives think people make their own choices. Liberals are pessimists who think people have no chance unless they get help, conservatives are optimists who think people can do anything.

that is idiocy.

provide proof of one thing that "conservativism" ever advanced.

here's a hint: you can't... because if it were an advancement, it wouldn't be conservative, it would be liberal.

you know...words have meanings.

:thup:

So, in other words, Conservatives believe that each human exists in a vacuum?

Making blanket statements and over-simplifying points of view is how we end up with nonsense like this. No liberal would deny that personal responsibility exists, nor would any conservative claim that society and situation have no impact on behavior and status.

that is idiocy.

provide proof of one thing that "conservativism" ever advanced.

here's a hint: you can't... because if it were an advancement, it wouldn't be conservative, it would be liberal.

you know...words have meanings.

:thup:

According to your definition, conservatives are responsible for ending slavery, creating the United States, and winning the War in Afghanistan.

Making blanket statements and over-simplifying points of view is how we end up with nonsense like this. No liberal would deny that personal responsibility exists, nor would any conservative claim that society and situation have no impact on behavior and status.

Funny, I don't recall saying that. Is using straw man arguments the only way you can make a point in a debate?

Funny, I don't recall saying that. Is using straw man arguments the only way you can make a point in a debate?

Here, I'll break my point down a little simpler, if you'd like.

You said:

liberals think society forces people to do things, conservatives think people make their own choices.

My point is the false dichotomy between those two statements - it's not an "either/or" situation. The reality (which I think all will agree on) is somewhere in the middle.

No one exists in a vacuum (in other words, society has an impact on status and situation), and no one denies that personal responsibility exists (in other words, society is not the only factor in determining status and situation).

Attempting to simplify everything with a statement that makes Conservatives look good and Liberals look bad isn't a "truth" anymore than someone claiming that all Conservatives are racist is a "truth". We don't live in a binary world, we live in a world of nuance.

Definition of a Liberal

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

Whose money do the conservatives use to pay off debt? Or do they just like to borrow, spend, and then blame the "liberal" for raising taxes to pay off the debts that the "conservatives" accrued?

Definition of a Liberal

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

Whose money do the conservatives use to pay off debt? Or do they just like to borrow, spend, and then blame the "liberal" for raising taxes to pay off the debts that the "conservatives" accrued?

Wrong kind of debt, not bright, but not unexpected from you.

LOL

Here, I'll break my point down a little simpler, if you'd like.

You said:

liberals think society forces people to do things, conservatives think people make their own choices.
My point is the false dichotomy between those two statements - it's not an "either/or" situation. The reality (which I think all will agree on) is somewhere in the middle.

No one exists in a vacuum (in other words, society has an impact on status and situation), and no one denies that personal responsibility exists (in other words, society is not the only factor in determining status and situation).

Attempting to simplify everything with a statement that makes Conservatives look good and Liberals look bad isn't a "truth" anymore than someone claiming that all Conservatives are racist is a "truth". We don't live in a binary world, we live in a world of nuance.

Do you remember all the predictions that the recession was going to cause a spike in crime, and how that was one of the arguments in favor of cutting the payroll tax? Were those arguments coming from conservatives?

Maybe the problem here is that you are seeing things. I don't believe that liberal/conservative is the only possible breakdown in political classification, and have never argued that they are. That means that I am not presenting a false dichotomy, you are creating it because you are incapable of seeing the entire spectrum of humanity.

That makes the problem in this discussion you, not me.

Liberals love power and will do anything to get it and keep it, whereas conservatives put the nation's interests first priority.

The GOP isn't going run TV ads obamination killed a woman with cancer to win votes, Democraps do run those kind of ads to dupe idiots like found on this board.

Forum List

Back