The Dems Will Lose Less Seats than You Think

Stimulus just stimulated public sector jobs, it is running out, and the public sector jobs are going away.

It didn't stimulate the private sector at all. And the vote today will have all kinds of economic repercussions.

No doubt the Democrats are going to lose seats in November. They have made healthcare their priority when they should have been focusing more so on the economy, healthcare is unpopular, and Obama hasn't been particularly effective. Plus, they're Democrats, which makes them pretty much incompetent in their DNA anyways. (Over the past 10 years, the Republicans seemed to have programmed their DNA for incompetence too.)

But I don't think the Democrats are going to lose either chamber. Personally, I'd like to see the GOP win one because both parties are too stupid to control everything. We saw that under Bush and we're seeing it again now. So I'm all for divided government and am hoping for Republican gains.

The Dems will lose 30-50 seats in the House and 4-6 seats in the Senate. That is probably better than most pundits think. Here's why.

First, the center is not angry over healthcare, unlike the Right. They may not support it but there is no seething anger, unlike the Right. Six months from now, once the healthcare bill is passed, it will be less of an issue for the center.

Second, the Democrats next target will be the financial industry. The GOP's healthcare posture has been "Just say no." That has worked for healthcare but will not work for financial reform. Thus far, the GOP has been following the same script in financial reform as they have for healthcare reform. It will not work. Financial reform will not be as big as healthcare reform, but the GOP is digging in to protect entrenched interests who profited enormously from the government sponsored bailouts and are spending tens of millions of dollars to fight it. Whether or not the Democrats implement meaningful reform is another story, but they will use GOP defense of Wall Street as a stick to beat the Republicans with.

Finally, and most importantly, the economy is getting better. Soon, you will see positive job growth. Between now and October, over a million jobs may be created in the economy. That may sound like a lot but it is in fact below the average coming out of a recession and even below long-term trends. The economy is still going to be sluggish and unemployment will still be high, but the headlines will be more positive and people will feel more optimistic. That will help the Democrats.

Of course, never underestimate the Democrats ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but I think those hoping for a Republican takeover of Congress are going to be disappointed.

We know the average American is NOT angry about healthcare and neither are the Republican Party members. No matter how many times the Democrats AND YOU try to blur the line between angst over healthcare reform and the HEALTHCARE BILL it will always be this BILL that the Republicans are going to hang around the Democrats neck. This BILL is not healthcare reform...it's ONE PARTY'S VERSION OF WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST and THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE AGAINST THIS BILL.....NOT HEALTHCARE REFORM!!

The GOP will lose this argument, PP. We need to reframe it, because the President's executive orders and the Senate revisions are going to change the bill. Don't think for a second that this will not happen. That is delusional.

Last edited:
Listening the conservatives talk about their "wealth" is like listening to Joe the Plumber talk about how he hates taxes on the company he might someday own.

It isn't a lie. The IRS is the agency charged with making sure people have health insurance and fining them if they dont. It is in the bill.

Good. Then, since we all have to have insurance, we can just step into a real universal plan like the other democratic wealthy nations have.

No more medical bankruptcies, no more Health Insurance Death Panels stating pre-existing condition. Longer life spans, healthier lives, as the focus shifts to prevention.
It should be my right to choose about what type of health care plan I have and whether or not I even want insurance in the first place.

Mandates are an assault on freedom.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
The GOP will lose this argument, PP. We need to reframe it, because the President's executive orders and the Senate revisions are going to change the bill. Don't think for a second that this will not happen. That is delusional.

Of that there is no doubt Jake...but the Democrats are trying to blur the line between healthcare reform and this bill....and to anyone with half a brain it's quite obvious what they are doing. I think the American people deserve more credit than that.

OK, PP, this is how the GOP can now try to go forward. We will argue for repeal or replace. We will lose the first, of course, but can nudge the second. The key will be is the number of centrists we can bring in, those centrists that deserted us in 2008 and 2010. If the economy improves this summer, our window of opportunity narrows.

Folks, we have to be positive, we can no longer be the party of "no".

It isn't a lie. The IRS is the agency charged with making sure people have health insurance and fining them if they dont. It is in the bill.

Good. Then, since we all have to have insurance, we can just step into a real universal plan like the other democratic wealthy nations have.

No more medical bankruptcies, no more Health Insurance Death Panels stating pre-existing condition. Longer life spans, healthier lives, as the focus shifts to prevention.
It should be my right to choose about what type of health care plan I have and whether or not I even want insurance in the first place.

Stop paying your property taxes or your car insurance. Get real, Oscar.

I can't believe you even tried to compare health care to car insurance.

And I'm Paul...my sig line says so.

OK, PP, this is how the GOP can now try to go forward. We will argue for repeal or replace. We will lose the first, of course, but can nudge the second. The key will be is the number of centrists we can bring in, those centrists that deserted us in 2008 and 2010. If the economy improves this summer, our window of opportunity narrows.

Sometimes "NO" is the best answer.

We tried it for almost sixteen months and have now lost. The Dems have just added 31mm to their potential constituents. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We go for replace and work on the centrists.

I can't believe you even tried to compare health care to car insurance.

And I'm Paul...my sig line says so.

That's my point. Your comment is inane. You have no such right.

We tried it for almost sixteen months and have now lost. The Dems have just added 31mm to their potential constituents. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We go for replace and work on the centrists.

Those 31 million people were already Democrat voters....

We know the average American is NOT angry about healthcare and neither are the Republican Party members. No matter how many times the Democrats AND YOU try to blur the line between angst over healthcare reform and the HEALTHCARE BILL it will always be this BILL that the Republicans are going to hang around the Democrats neck. This BILL is not healthcare reform...it's ONE PARTY'S VERSION OF WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST and THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE AGAINST THIS BILL.....NOT HEALTHCARE REFORM!!

This is healthcare reform, whether or not you agree with it.

I know the majority are against this bill. I broke that down earlier.

You, like others in this thread, are demonstrating that the Right is seething about this. All I'm saying is that in six months time, for most moderates, I think it will be less of an issue, and Democrats will likely lose less seats than the seething Right believes.

For the record, I have no opinion on this bill.

Last edited:

This is healthcare reform. Whether or not you agree with it does not matter.

I know the majority are against this bill. I broke that down earlier.

You, like others in this thread, are demonstrating that the Right is seething about this. All I'm saying is that in six months time, for most moderates, I think it will be less of an issue, and Democrats will likely lose less seats than the seething Right believes.

For the record, I have no opinion on this bill.

It's one party's version of what healthcare reform is....not what the majority of Americans asked for and you know it. Quit playing semantics with words....you can't be serious when you say the Corn Husker kickback is what America wants....please...we are not stupid...

and for the record...this Bill will have ZERO effect on me or my finances because I'm a military retiree and exempt.

Last edited:

Those 31 million people were already Democrat voters....

Not all of them, as I suspect you well know. Whether we have regulated health insurance is now over. It will never be overturned. We must go for "replace" and after the centrists, who will not permit us to repeal.

I am becoming impressed with the intensity of many of the Tea Party adherents. They might be wrong on some issues, but they are not about power like the Neo-Republicans, Neo-cons, and Neo-Corporatists. They want real government, small and responsible to the citizen. What they don't know is that both major parties will turn them around, over, and have their way with them.

It's one party's version of what healthcare reform is....not what the majority of Americans asked for and you know it. Quit playing semantics with words....you can't be serious when you say the Corn Husker kickback is what America wants....please...we are not stupid...

and for the record...this Bill will have ZERO effect on me or my finances because I'm a military retiree and exempt.

Call it whatever you wish. That's not the point.

If you break down support, 90% of conservatives are against it, 90% of liberals are for it, and moderates are evenly split. Since there are more conservatives than liberals, then most of America is against this bill. But conservatives weren't going to vote for the Democrats in November anyways. What matters to Obama are moderates. And the fact that half of moderates are supportive of this bill means there is not the seething anger in the middle as there are with conservatives. For moderates, this issue will matter less in the mid-term elections.

Call it whatever you wish. That's not the point.

If you break down support, 90% of conservatives are against it, 90% of liberals are for it, and moderates are evenly split. Since there are more conservatives than liberals, then most of America is against this bill. But conservatives weren't going to vote for the Democrats in November anyways. What matters to Obama are moderates. And the fact that half of moderates are supportive of this bill means there is not the seething anger in the middle as there are with conservatives. For moderates, this issue will matter less in the mid-term elections.

I deem your post to be a fair-minded and dispassionate analysis.

But I see what I consider to be a flaw in your thinking.

To put a point on it: your analysis seems to assume that the conditions you describe are stagnant. In other words, the 50-50 split of the so-called "moderates" will remain at 50-50 through the mid-term elections.

If that turns out to be the case, you have a fair point. The election results under such circumstances should not be as bad for the liberal Democratics as many of the pundits are suggesting they will be.

But if you are incorrect, then the results may be expected to be quite horrendous for the liberal Democratics.

What might ALTER the 50-50 split of the so-called "moderates?" Reality. When WHAT this monstrosity of a bill is -- and what it does -- STARTS to become better understood generally, such as when the taxes strike and the associated costs hit, THEN the "moderates" might very well give this legislation another jaundiced look. That does NOT bode well for the liberal Democratics who supported this hideously stupid "plan" of the Obama Administration.

We shall see fairly soon.

The IRS isn't going to be knocking on people's doors. The easiest way to enforce the penalty is to provide proof of insurance when you file your yearly return. Big deal.

Also, as more and more people are covered there will be less and less concern about taking dead end jobs simply to have health insurance.

In my field, at least, business is picking up and people are starting to spend and hire.

So yes, IMO, the economy is picking up. And that is the only thing that will matter come election time.

The IRS may not LITERALLY knock on the door. I was speaking figuratively. Sorry if that wasn't sufficiently clear.

But the IRS WILL be getting very much upped in manpower to do exactly this. That's a part of the legislation. They will be the main enforcement officials for that portion of this Health Care bill. That's a part of the legislation. And they ARE getting a couple of thousand ADDITIONAL agents to do exactly that. That's a part of the legislation. And the proposed penalties for having a "plan" that doesn't meet gubmint's daffynition of "qualified" will be significant. That's a part of the legislation.

This bill is fucking ruinous. And you can bet your life that those responsible for it will be getting their blame properly POINTED OUT by those running AGAINST them.
I don't think it is...that's just more hysteria from the right. And it shouldn't be, just another line item on your tax return.

What you don't think is of no import. You don't think correctly. That's the problem.

The massive legislation has LOTS of garbage embedded within it. SOME of the provisions sure as hell DO make the IRS the enforcement agent for the bill's confiscations.

And tthey plan on ramping up the manpwoer of the IRS accordingly.

YOU may not think so, Ravi, but the CBO does think so.

Republicans assail IRS provision in health care bill
By Vicki Needham - 03/18/10 03:22 PM ET

House Ways and Means Republicans on Thursday assailed a provision in the proposed health care reform bill under consideration this week.

Boustany said the bill would allow the IRS to confiscate refunds if there are penalties for not buying health care.

Lawmakers have questioned whether the IRS can handle the increased workload to oversee, administer and collect penalties for people who don't buy health insurance.

"This is increasing tax liability and tax scrutiny," said Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Ill.).

Taxpayers could be required to buy insurance under President Barack Obama’s reform proposal by 2014 or face penalties of roughly $325 per individual that the IRS would collect.

Assuming it becomes law, the Congressional Budget Office expects the IRS will need roughly $10 billion over the next 10 years and nearly 17,000 new employees to meet its new responsibilities under health reform.

Republicans assail IRS provision in health care bill - The Hill's On The Money

The IRS will not be satisfied with having their hands in your wallet, they are gonna be crawling up your asses. And the information they obtain is also, explicitly by the terms of the law, TO BE SHARED with other Federal entities.

There is such treachery just under the surface of this hideously God-forsaken bill that one ALMOST kinda sorta mournfully wishes that our Congress-critters actually read this shit before voting on it.

Republicans assail IRS provision in health care bill
By Vicki Needham - 03/18/10 03:22 PM ET

House Ways and Means Republicans on Thursday assailed a provision in the proposed health care reform bill under consideration this week.

Boustany said the bill would allow the IRS to confiscate refunds if there are penalties for not buying health care.

Lawmakers have questioned whether the IRS can handle the increased workload to oversee, administer and collect penalties for people who don't buy health insurance.

"This is increasing tax liability and tax scrutiny," said Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Ill.).

Taxpayers could be required to buy insurance under President Barack Obama’s reform proposal by 2014 or face penalties of roughly $325 per individual that the IRS would collect.

Assuming it becomes law, the Congressional Budget Office expects the IRS will need roughly $10 billion over the next 10 years and nearly 17,000 new employees to meet its new responsibilities under health reform.

Republicans assail IRS provision in health care bill - The Hill's On The Money

The IRS will not be satisfied with having their hands in your wallet, they are gonna be crawling up your asses. And the information they obtain is also, explicitly by the terms of the law, TO BE SHARED with other Federal entities.

There is such treachery just under the surface of this hideously God-forsaken bill that one ALMOST kinda sorta mournfully wishes that our Congress-critters actually read this shit before voting on it.
Hooray! Job creation! :)

Forum List

Back