The Death of Good Manners - OR - Were These People Raised by Wolves?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sometimes I am just appalled at how ill-mannered and socially clueless people have become. While I have no desire to return to a world where it's taboo to wear white after Labor Day and such, it stuns me how little sense of common courtesy and appropriateness people seem to have.

Case in point (and the reason for this rant): I attended a wedding over the weekend. It was held at the zoo in a special reception area they rent out with a patio overlooking beautiful pool filled with flowers, ducks, and flamingos and an glass wall overlooking some of the exhibits. It was a formal wedding, with the groom and groomsmen in tuxedos, the bridal attendants in long gowns, and the bride in an elaborate white dress and veil. It wasn't the most expensive wedding I've ever attended, but the couple spent some bucks on this affair.

Except for the wedding party, members of the bride's and groom's families, and myself, no one bothered to dress nicely for this event. The rest of the guests wore khaki slacks and polo shirts, and some people even showed up in jeans! Not only that, but at 30 minutes past the time that the wedding should have started, only half the people who eventually turned up had even arrived. The minister was late (He had very recently had heart surgery, and had had some related personal difficulties in getting ready, so I can excuse HIS tardiness), but had we been running on time, these charming guests wouldn't have arrived until the reception was already underway.

Now seriously. What sort of barn do you have to be raised in to think it's okay to arrive 30 minutes late, dressed like you just stopped by after your golf game, to a formal wedding? Or quite frankly, to ANY wedding. Hell, my husband and I basically eloped, and the handful of guests we had with us dressed better than that.

okay g/f.....this is going on here....a friend is having her wedding for close friends and family only...then a reception for 300...why should i dress up? i apparently am not a close friend, the reception is outdoors etc...fuck have your reception at the zoo and people are gonna dress for the zoo....plus to you want the guests to be there to have fun or to dress up...want formal dress have a formal reception...last i checked those are not at zoos...i dont give a damn how nice the zoo is....you are eating in a zoo with animals...same reason i dont go to that dixie stampede shit...i dont eat in barns

The zoo and an outside setting does not sound formal to me. Maybe they should have let their guests know they wanted to dress in formal attire.

It was never taboo to wear white after Labor Day. It was, and should remain, taboo to wear white SHOES before Easter, or after Labor Day.

It's just not the thing.

The last time I wore white shoes was St. Paddy's Day some years ago, and I got blood on them from a bar fight.

good heavens, that would have been before Easter.

No wonder that was such a bad night.

It's always better to know good manners and not use them than it is to not have them and be ignorant of the fact that you're a yahoo.

Now seriously. What sort of barn do you have to be raised in to think it's okay to arrive 30 minutes late, dressed like you just stopped by after your golf game, to a formal wedding? Or quite frankly, to ANY wedding. Hell, my husband and I basically eloped, and the handful of guests we had with us dressed better than that.

Some people do that intentionally. They skip the funeral, errrr ... wedding ceremony and just show up for the party after.

When my son was married, her family arrived dressed like they had just gotten in from a camping trip. They didn't even look particularly clean. And these people know better...they did it intentionally, I think.

Assholes.

Forum List

Back