The Death of Good Manners - OR - Were These People Raised by Wolves?

I re-iterate. It's okay to have bad manners, so long as you know what good manners are.

Nothing more pathetic than a slob who doesn't have the sense to hold a fork right. However, a person who belches loudly but knows she's being rude and revels in it is something quite different.

okay g/f.....this is going on here....a friend is having her wedding for close friends and family only...then a reception for 300...why should i dress up? i apparently am not a close friend, the reception is outdoors etc...fuck have your reception at the zoo and people are gonna dress for the zoo....plus to you want the guests to be there to have fun or to dress up...want formal dress have a formal reception...last i checked those are not at zoos...i dont give a damn how nice the zoo is....you are eating in a zoo with animals...same reason i dont go to that dixie stampede shit...i dont eat in barns

The reception was not "in the zoo with the animals". It was in a building on the zoo grounds, used for hosting events (such as weddings, banquets, educational gatherings) to allow the zoo to make extra income. While it is built to afford lovely views of the animals and plants, it isn't actually anywhere close to them. The guests were not invited for a casual outing to the zoo. They were invited for a wedding. Thus, one does not "dress for the zoo". One dresses for the wedding.

idiot stalker!

See? That's just disrespectful. Not my fault I'm bored waiting for someone and you keep posting in threads I actually want to post in to. :cool:

go get beheaded or something.. it dosen't hurt a bit.

that may or may not be true....in the french revolution .....when the guillotine was used....a man who was being executed...told his theory that the head would live for seconds on the blood already in the brain...he was said to have blink intentionally to his friend for about 12 sec. true hell i dont know but truth is always stranger than fiction.

The zoo and an outside setting does not sound formal to me. Maybe they should have let their guests know they wanted to dress in formal attire.

The zoo is a formal setting when you're holding it in an area specifically designed for such things. The ceremony itself was on the patio, overlooking the gorgeous flowers and the flamingos (and the photos were all taken in front of the pool, and should be gorgeous). The reception was in the building the patio was off of, spilling out to the patio. And when people send you a fancy wedding invitation with gold embossing and a little RSVP card, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that you at least wear your Sunday church clothes.

On the other hand, I've seen people at Sunday church in jeans and flip flops, which is just another example in my eyes of how crass and boorish people have become.

Just to clear this up now, the invitation said specifically that the wedding and reception were in the Conservation Learning Center at the zoo, and here is a link to the zoo's website. It has a small picture of one side of the building where the wedding was held.

Reid Park Zoo, Tucson Zoological Society - content - index

I don't know what the zoos where you folks live are like, but ours has spent a great deal of money on renovations and improvements that make it a really beautiful setting for events like weddings.

Now seriously. What sort of barn do you have to be raised in to think it's okay to arrive 30 minutes late, dressed like you just stopped by after your golf game, to a formal wedding? Or quite frankly, to ANY wedding. Hell, my husband and I basically eloped, and the handful of guests we had with us dressed better than that.

Some people do that intentionally. They skip the funeral, errrr ... wedding ceremony and just show up for the party after.

I find that tacky, unless you were specifically invited in that fashion, or had some reason you simply couldn't make the wedding. Also, if you must do such a thing, you should at least bring a present. None of these people did.

When my son was married, her family arrived dressed like they had just gotten in from a camping trip. They didn't even look particularly clean. And these people know better...they did it intentionally, I think.

Assholes.

Seriously. If you object to the marriage, you stay home. You don't ruin it for everyone else.

I re-iterate. It's okay to have bad manners, so long as you know what good manners are.

Nothing more pathetic than a slob who doesn't have the sense to hold a fork right. However, a person who belches loudly but knows she's being rude and revels in it is something quite different.

I don't think it's ever okay to exhibit bad manners. If you know better, you should do better.

Sometimes I am just appalled at how ill-mannered and socially clueless people have become. While I have no desire to return to a world where it's taboo to wear white after Labor Day and such, it stuns me how little sense of common courtesy and appropriateness people seem to have.

Case in point (and the reason for this rant): I attended a wedding over the weekend. It was held at the zoo in a special reception area they rent out with a patio overlooking beautiful pool filled with flowers, ducks, and flamingos and an glass wall overlooking some of the exhibits. It was a formal wedding, with the groom and groomsmen in tuxedos, the bridal attendants in long gowns, and the bride in an elaborate white dress and veil. It wasn't the most expensive wedding I've ever attended, but the couple spent some bucks on this affair.

Except for the wedding party, members of the bride's and groom's families, and myself, no one bothered to dress nicely for this event. The rest of the guests wore khaki slacks and polo shirts, and some people even showed up in jeans! Not only that, but at 30 minutes past the time that the wedding should have started, only half the people who eventually turned up had even arrived. The minister was late (He had very recently had heart surgery, and had had some related personal difficulties in getting ready, so I can excuse HIS tardiness), but had we been running on time, these charming guests wouldn't have arrived until the reception was already underway.

Now seriously. What sort of barn do you have to be raised in to think it's okay to arrive 30 minutes late, dressed like you just stopped by after your golf game, to a formal wedding? Or quite frankly, to ANY wedding. Hell, my husband and I basically eloped, and the handful of guests we had with us dressed better than that.

Your "reception area" sounds like the zoo cafeteria for one thing.. For another, a "formal" wedding is going to be held in a more "formal" setting.

Since when is a persons attire more important than their presence at such an event?

Also, when you're having the ceremony and the reception in the same place, it stands to reason that those people that have chosen to attend just the reception are going to look "late" to those that have chosen to attend both.

Sounds to me like your panties are twisted just a little too tight. Doesn't sound the least bit formal to me.

See? That's just disrespectful. Not my fault I'm bored waiting for someone and you keep posting in threads I actually want to post in to. :cool:

go get beheaded or something.. it dosen't hurt a bit.

that may or may not be true....in the french revolution .....when the guillotine was used....a man who was being executed...told his theory that the head would live for seconds on the blood already in the brain...he was said to have blink intentionally to his friend for about 12 sec. true hell i dont know but truth is always stranger than fiction.

I know that bones, I saw the same programme,, it's KK who thinks it's a painless death,, otherwise I wouldn't have invited her.. :eusa_shhh::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I dont see anything wrong with wearing khaki slacks and polo shirts. Though I wouldnt wear a short sleeve.

Thats my "formal casual" wear. My idea of formal is either a friggin tux or a nice suit. I have the money for neither at this point in my life.

Some people do that intentionally. They skip the funeral, errrr ... wedding ceremony and just show up for the party after.

I find that tacky, unless you were specifically invited in that fashion, or had some reason you simply couldn't make the wedding. Also, if you must do such a thing, you should at least bring a present. None of these people did.

Totally classless. There are people out there that were not brought up with good manners. You can't go wrong underestimating people.

In this day and age, sadly, people have to be reminded explicitly not to be tardy, that formal attire is required. Although, I don't know how you can tactfully say that they have to bring a present...

If I was at that wedding, I would have been chagrined to see people dressed in jeans. Young people now-a-days have the mistaken belief that dressing like you don't care is cool. To me it shows a lack of respect and laziness as well. I'm just wondering if the people who dressed in jeans and didn't bring presents were even close to the bride and groom. And if they were, I am also wondering if the bride and groom expected this sort of behavior.

Forum List

Back