The Daily Freakout: Solar Energy

Sun Electronics is selling solar panels for $1.20 per watt. A 5kw system for your home would run $6,000. So factor in grid tied installed & you will be operational for under $10,000. That should pay you back in under 7 years.

My business uses way more than that.

And all my research gives me figures like this

http://sunlightsolar.com/learning/system-cost/

Solar Electric

In general, you can expect to pay between $7.50-$10 per watt. How much does that add up to?

* If you use an average of 20 kWh a day (you can find this information on your utility bill), you would need about a 6 kW system to cover 100% of you electric bill.
* A 6 kW system is 6,000 watts. 6,000 watts x $8 per watt = $48,000*

Last edited:
Well I'm not against obama's incentives for solar. But when they end sales dry up just like what is happening in Europe. Solar is years away from being close to competitive. I do appreciate the limousine liberals paying extra for it as early adapters.

Last edited:
Well I'm not against obama's incentives for solar. But when they end sales dry up just like what is happening in Europe. Solar is years away from being close to competitive. I do appreciate the limousine liberals paying extra for it as aery adapters.

For every limousine liberal who installs wind or solar power to free up power for other people & business that holds down cost for everyone. Nothing spells economic expansion like cheap energy.

Well I'm not against obama's incentives for solar. But when they end sales dry up just like what is happening in Europe. Solar is years away from being close to competitive. I do appreciate the limousine liberals paying extra for it as aery adapters.

For every limousine liberal who installs wind or solar power to free up power for other people & business that holds down cost for everyone. Nothing spells economic expansion like cheap energy.

Exactly! And when one looks at the curve on the cost of solar, you can see that it will soon be the cheapest energy of all to install and maintain.

Wind has already come down to compete directly on cost with all other forms of energy, and geo-thermal is set to do the same.

What is needed now is a 21st Century distributed grid to pick up these sources. Time for another project like the Interstate Highways of of the '50s and '60s.

Exactly! And when one looks at the curve on the cost of solar, you can see that it will soon be the cheapest energy of all to install and maintain.

Wind has already come down to compete directly on cost with all other forms of energy, and geo-thermal is set to do the same.

What is needed now is a 21st Century distributed grid to pick up these sources. Time for another project like the Interstate Highways of of the '50s and '60s.

Not a comparison Gracie. The Government is tasked to build roads Constitutionally.

The Government is trying to force something that is not economically feasible at this point regarding 'Green Energy'. Oil will be with us for the forseeable future. There's no getting around it.

And these 'Green Technologies will come about from the private sector as most invention does due to incentive, not because the Government forces it on the populace or else. That's just Government in thier control mode at the behest of thier whacko masters that hate this nation anyway.

Last edited:
Not only that, I'm really curious exactly how many jobs will be produced.
Then compare that to all the jobs that he is personally responsible for throwing out the window.

This is part of his plan to make it illegal for us to use oil. Not only will jobs be lost, people are going to die.

Who's going to die, exactly, from 2 billion being invested in solar?

Not a comparison Gracie. The Government is tasked to build roads Constitutionally.

The Government is trying to force something that is not economically feasible at this point regarding 'Green Energy'. Oil will be with us for the forseeable future. There's no getting around it.

And these 'Green Technologies will come about from the private sector as most invention does due to incentive, not because the Government forces it on the populace or else. That's just Government in thier control mode at the behest of thier whacko masters that hate this nation anyway.

Yes, just ask anyone on the Gulf Shore.

CDC, FAA, FCC, and many other government functions were not foreseen by the Constitution, but they were needed and we created them. Same with an energy grid.

How was the invention of the transistor funded?

The key is to drive the cost of wind & solar down without that stupid carbon cap & trade law that will only drive up the total cost of energy. It looks like we are at or near that threshold now. I will know more once I get mine installed. Just think of all the people with savings accounts earning less than 10% interest. If they all took that money & invested in their own wind or solar system it would pay them back more than that plus drive down cost for everyone fueling a sustainable recovery. If the payback period on this stuff is really 7 years then we are there.

Last edited:

The key is to drive the cost of wind & solar down without that stupid carbon cap & trade law that will only drive up the total cost of energy. It looks like we are at or near that threshold now. I will know more once I get mine installed. Just think of all the people with savings accounts earning less than 10% interest. If they all took that money & invested in their own wind or solar system it would pay them back more than that plus drive down cost for everyone fueling a sustainable recovery. If the payback period on this stuff is really 7 years then we are there.

Exactly. And that's what I meant by Incentive. it has to come from the private sector, and their willingness to adopt such things. It has happened many times in our history through private innovation, invention.

One notable transition was from horses and buggies to the automobile.

You are correct. The Government being in the way will make matters worse.

Knock yourself out purchasing the sh!t s0n..........enjoy the big ass windmill in YOUR backyard!!:smoke:
I do enough for the environment already...........I drive a 300hp Mustang GT..........its a multi-fuel vehicle: burns rubber AND gas!!! You can drive your fairy ass 2 door SPEC s0n.......I and tens of millions of other real men wont be caught dead in one. Overwhelmingly...............Americans DONT want to drive the fairy-ass gay cars. They get all hyped up about global warming...............until they realize the effects of k00k lib legislation is loss of choice in life and gigantic taxes. Then...............they are off the bandwagon en-masse. Check ANY poll you can find.:lol::lol::lol:

Crap and tax isnt pasing this year or any year. Had Obama attacked that before Healthcare, it probably would have been able to fly. But the political reality now is that Demcorats in shaky districts look at this legislation as if it were radioactive. They know it means a gigantic net loss in jobs when all people are conerned about now is jobs. And the gigantic loss is indisputable.........100% certainty. And then, once November comes, it'll be dead for a long, long time!!:funnyface: The problem with the k00ks is that they never look at anything in the political context. Everything is hyper-emotion.............. = gay.

OK, GWV, isn't burning something this valuable pretty damned stupid?

No, not at all if you consider the alternative, we spend way to much time & energy debating GW, viable reserves, etc...

Oil & Natural Gas will get us to the next source, IMO all Gore did was try to establish another power to take on Big Oil & Nationalized Oil Producers (OPEC), and now his message has lost tons of credibility....

Big Oil will remain in charge for numerous reasons, the trick is to get them to invest in true alternatives, at this point the Left has made them out to be a villain, not the savior, bad sales job by the enviro wackos so far.....

No, big oil will not remain in charge. The investment required for manufacturing solar, wind, and geo-thermal is not so great that many, many players cannot get into the action. That is exactly what big oil is afraid of. The oligarchs have had it all their way for over a century now, and major change is in the wind.

Keep dreaming......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Skull, both KissMy and I posted sites where you can buy the panels for $1.20 a watt. Differant sites and sources.

And what about the cost of installation?

Buying the panels is only half the battle.

Last edited:
Skull, both KissMy and I posted sites where you can buy the panels for $1.20 a watt. Differant sites and sources.

Why should the cost of installing panels be anymore than installing a roof?

The point is that the material and installation costs should be justified, over time, when your utility costs disappear.

HOWEVER: If this is such a great deal, the why aren't all builders offering new homes with solar panel roofs? As it is, few even offer them as an option.

No, big oil will not remain in charge. The investment required for manufacturing solar, wind, and geo-thermal is not so great that many, many players cannot get into the action. That is exactly what big oil is afraid of. The oligarchs have had it all their way for over a century now, and major change is in the wind.

Big oil has no reason to be afraid of alternative energy. In fact, they support it and have spent more money on it that the US government.

The point is that the material and installation costs should be justified, over time, when your utility costs disappear.

HOWEVER: If this is such a great deal, the why aren't all builders offering new homes with solar panel roofs? As it is, few even offer them as an option.

Because it takes skilled labor to install and connect solar panels, and anyone can put up a roof. You have to wire the panels together and connect them to your house wiring, which requires that you use a licensed electrician in most jurisdictions.

Solar industry targets new homes - CNET News

Because it takes skilled labor to install and connect solar panels, and anyone can put up a roof. You have to wire the panels together and connect them to your house wiring, which requires that you use a licensed electrician in most jurisdictions.
:lol: So does installing traditional electrical systems require a licensed electrician.

Forum List

Back